Jeweling Dash Panels 101

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeweling Dash Panels 101

I've almost got my aluminum dash panels on my 84 finished and have learned much. After removing all the switches and guages you need to sandblast or somehow remove the annodizing on the panel. From this to...
    Attached Files

The suspense is killing me.....
    sigpicwww.lauderdalelakesmarina.com

Comment

....This, you need to start with a polished piece of metal, the smoother the better. I wish I had spent more time on this step. To polish I used a buffing wheel on an electric drill and emory buffing compound around twenty bucks.
      Attached Files

Comment

I ordered a one inch engine turning tool from Eastwood auto for around twenty five bucks(they also have a 1/2" size). It's basically an abrasive cylinder which chucks into your drill press it came with good directions. You need to decide on your turning pattern I went with a 9/16" spacing which gave a good overlap. I marked a piece of plywood every 9/16" and drew lines across the entire board to line up the fence. The first board gets clamped to the drill press table. The fence was a long thin piece of plywood with marks every 9/16". The fence gets clamped to the first board and moved after every row. The dash panels are screwed to another piece of plywood and I indexed the Right edge with the ticks on the fence.
        Attached Files

Comment

I would recomend getting a comfortable stool as it took almost two hours to complete just the guage pod. Use a slow speed on your drill press (around 900 rpm) and the same down pressure and contact time, I used a ten count.
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks great, reminds me of my old Trans am dash.
            OH-IO!

Comment

This is possibly more mind numbing then sanding and oiling Teak! What do you think, is this the first jeweled dash on a MasterCraft? Now if I can find a source for a big fire bird decal for the bow....

Comment

WOW ! That Looks Awesome !
                A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by dichdoc
                  This is possibly more mind numbing then sanding and oiling Teak! What do you think, is this the first jeweled dash on a MasterCraft? Now if I can find a source for a big fire bird decal for the bow....
                  Now that would be sweeeeeet!
                  Devil made me do it the first time.
                  Second time, I did it on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Footin
                    Looks great, reminds me of my old Trans am dash.
                    That's what I was thinking. (I had a 76 Trans Am)

I think it will look good

Comment

Think the one inch spacing was definately the way to go. Have pictures of your transition into the sides of the panel? did you make a border? or did you try to do the corners?

Comment

Congratulations, you did a beautiful job and you should be proud. I've tried doing that in the past with moderate success but it didn't look that good but you mastered it!
                        Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
                        At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Comment

How long did you practice for?
                          sigpicwww.lauderdalelakesmarina.com

Comment

NIce job! I thinkI just found a new use for my drill press

Comment

I have not done the sides of the lower dash piece yet the guage pod and the main part was all my small brain could handle yesterday without thoughts of stripping down and running naked into the Montana wilderness! My plan is to use some black pinstripe down the curve to give a clean brake. The instructions did advise to use a flat, square piece without holes drilled in it. I'' post some finished pics when installed. As for practice after screwing around with different methods and tools for half a day I did three test swirls with the new tool and went for it!

Comment

Working...
                              X