My 1990 PS 190 Restoration Diary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1990 PS 190 Restoration Diary

OK, some of you guys talked me into restoring my boat instead of selling it. Now you must suffer through my restoration diary. First step was to replace the upholstery and carpet. Here's a few "Before and After" pics.

Before:
    Attached Files
    / \

Former boats:
    2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
    1990 Prostar 190

After........:
    Attached Files
    / \

Former boats:
    1990 Prostar 190

Comment

Looks Great!
      1992 ProStar 205 351 HO Acme 4 Blade

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it is unfamiliar territory."

Comment

Side Panel Before...............
        Attached Files
        / \

Former boats:
        1990 Prostar 190

Comment

Side panel after. (I will be replacing that steering wheel)
          Attached Files
          / \

Former boats:
          1990 Prostar 190

Comment

That looks great.
            It's Snowing in the UP

Comment

I'm in the process of buffing the gel coat right now, finished the front deck and starboard side hull last night. Going to do some more today. I'll post before and after pics here when its done.

I'm using the properboatcare.com kit pictured here and bought a Vector circular buffer from them as well. It's working great and real easy with the circular buffer. Thanks to Bump for giving me info and inspiration: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...hlight=orbital

BTW, anybody know of a good cleaner that will easily remove pinstripe tape residue? I tried alcohol and nail cleaner remover and some old car bug and tar remover, but it's not working too easily, the stuff just gums up and still sticks to the hull.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by shepherd; 10-23-2006, 12:08 PM.
              / \

Former boats:
              1990 Prostar 190

Comment

That is so worth the money. I think you could sell the boat for more now than what you would have asked before, to the point it would have covered the cost of reskinning.

(Although we all know it isn't going up for sale NOW)

Looks great!!!!!!!!!
                BOATLESS
                "Call on God, but row away from the rocks"- Dr.Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Thanks! Notice that the "After" pics are in the garage? I told the wife that's where she's going to stay for now on! (the boat that is)
                  Last edited by shepherd; 10-23-2006, 12:52 PM.
                  / \

Former boats:
                  1990 Prostar 190

Comment

looks great! keep up the good work.. and keep up on giving us photos
                    1991 PROSTAR 190 Flagship Blue POWERSLOT OJ XMP CNC 13.7x17.5 .110 4B
                    A.K.A. One of a kind mistake
                    2011 Best In Show- 1987-2000 class

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?

Comment

Looks great, Shep!
                      Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by shepherd
                        BTW, anybody know of a good cleaner that will easily remove pinstripe tape residue? I tried alcohol and nail cleaner remover and some old car bug and tar remover, but it's not working too easily, the stuff just gums up and still sticks to the hull.
                        I've had really good results with Goof Off. Won't harm the gel and gets the residue off. Smells like oranges.
                        sigpic

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Comment

What is the condition of your engine and drive train? What about your carpet?

Do you have any plans in these areas?

What are all these restorations costing you as you go?
                          BOATLESS
                          "Call on God, but row away from the rocks"- Dr.Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Engine and trans are in good shape - the boat runs strong and has the powerslot. I've got a minor smoking problem that probably indicates a carb rebuild is in order (I hope) - mixture screws don't seem to be working.

I'll also be refurbishing or replacing the trailer, which is in really rough shape.

New upholstery and carpet cost $2900, which included taxes and replacing some rotten wood. Seemed high compared to others who posted here, but it was the cheapest of the 3 local estimates I got.

Gel coat kit and circular buffer cost me $237 from properboatcare.com, including tax and shipping.
                            / \

Former boats:
                            1990 Prostar 190

Comment

The restoration looks great!! I completed a full resto on the same year and model a couple of years ago. You should be able to remove the pin stripe glue with Acetone. It won't hurt the gel-coat. Also, if buffing will not bring the colour back like you want it, don't be afraid to wet sand the boat. It's lots of work, but the results are awesome.

Good luck with the project.

Bruce
                              1990 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar SO, bought as an empty shell and rebuilt over the winter (04/05). Sold in May 2009

New boat - 1993 Prostar 205. Bought in better shape than the 190 was but still needed some work.

Comment

Working...
                              X