1970? Mastercraft Skier Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970? Mastercraft Skier Restoration

Picked up a 1970? Mastercraft Skier a few days ago. It has a Chrysler Marine 340 with a BW 1:1. It had been painted a hideous shade of teal at some point in its life. It sits on its original trailer. The boat runs great, little to no vibrations. The 340 with straights that sits half above the water is crazy loud. It appears to be mostly original. Speedos appear to have been changed. I have stripped the teal off and will begin putting her back to here original red hull, white stripe, and white deck. I will keep everyone who is interested updated. Any input is appreciated. We have been digging around is the obscure places for a hull id number, still have not found anything. 1969 is on the casting of the engine. I was very shocked at the quality of the early wake on this boat. Any knowledge on these early boats is appreciated.
    Attached Files

Is it me or is the pylon really tall?

Good luck on your restore!

Comment

It is quite tall, some of the other earlier boats that I have found pictures of are the same way.

Comment

I can personally say this is the OLDEST one that I know of besides the one at the factory
        Very nice find. You hull ID number should be on the prior registration or title

Look forward to seeing how things progress. The pylon maybe original also. Please add more photos

Jim@BAWS

If you go to GOOGLE.com and look for images your boat comes up. This it for comparion sake
        for gel coat themes. I dont think that red/white scheme on yours was original either
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Jim@BAWS; 08-13-2011, 11:10 PM.
        James (Jim) Kranendonk Pres-BAWS
        Tampa Bay's Exclusive MasterCraft Dealer

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
        (813) 996-BAWS (2297)

Comment

The pylon is original as best we can tell. I new it was something special. I could see the red where it was peeling off. We did not know it had the white band in the middle until we began stripping. Wonder how many boats were made in 1970, I am sure production was still low at that point. Seems like I read on the site that only 53 or 54 boats were made in 1973. I'm sure 70 was a much lower number. I am working on getting a video uploaded that we shot at Parksville Lake the other night. Pretty impressive for an old boat.

Comment

In action at Parksville Lake. Good Purchase
            Attached Files

Comment

Jim, the white band is gel coat for sure.

Comment

That's pretty good for a 41 year old boat!

Anymore pics?

Comment

More photos as requested.
                  Attached Files

Comment

One last photo
                    Attached Files

Comment

Great find and cool piece of history! Good luck on your project. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress.
                      1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190 - Corvette LT-1 w/PowerSlot .................. Hang On!

sigpic

Comment

Upon further inspection of the boat, I may very well ski a set on my old Maharajah and and then another on an old CG El Diablo (not sure if I can say it is fun to ride, you can just say you skied on one) LOL. The old Maha is great. We nicknamed her "Butter".

Comment

Phickman

Nice find. I have a 1972 - the ski pole looks that same as mine; there should be a hole thru the top of the pole. The dash looks to be exactly like mine except for the plate someone added to mount the speed/tach on top. The engine cover looks a little different, mine is more rounded on the back side.

Comment

Awesome find there! Definately looking forward to seeing the pics of the restore. Good luck and everyone here's ready help with any questions.
                            "The doctor said I swallow a lot of aggression... along with a lot of pizzas!"

Comment

I love that red boat , can you tell me if its true that it is MC Hull #1

"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do !....That is character"

Comment

Working...
                              X