Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a 94' Prostar 205 - fix up thread

Hi,

My name is Matt and just recently joined this forum. My in laws just picked up a lakehouse and we all decided to chip in for a ski boat. I used to go boating all the time in my 20's, and that kind of came to an end when I got married and started having kids. Kids are now ages 6, 4.5, & 2.5.

The lake is 162 acres or so and is glass all day long. On busy days, I see about 3 boats out, and usually only one of them actually moving.

Plan is to do all the watersports: tubing, skiing, slalom, wakeboarding, & wakesurfing.

So we picked up this 94' for 9100. Asking price was 9800.

600hrs on hull
    <100hrs on Jasper motor. (PO cracked block winterizing it. MC dealer installed. $4300)
    3 & 4 blade props
    2x single tubes
    1x double tube
    2 pairs of skiis
    fake lake
    Pull over cover

Problems I need to address:
    Oil pressure gauge does not work
    Thermostat gasket leaking and temp hovers at 130
    Alternator is shot
    Trailer surge brakes do not work
    Buff & new decals
    Blower hose is torn near blower motor
    Gas shocks are missing for motorbox
    New head unit and speakers
    Keel roller

Pics:

Last edited by bochnak; 09-30-2013, 06:42 AM.
    -Matt

Congrats on the new boat and welcome to TT. Not sure about wakesurfing behind that thing but you picked up a great boat! I am a bit bias since I have owned one since 2001. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to help.

If you didn't tell us the motor was changed I would have never known. Everything looks similar to my Indmar 350.
    If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
    275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
    Monster Tower &amp; PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams

Comment

Very nice. Definitely a good all around boat. My parents have had their '93 205 since '98 and always been happy with it. Doesn't look like it will take much to have yours in great shape. Once you start, MCOCD will kick in though. Team talk is like group therapy for it.

Comment

Great Choice. Welcome to TT. I also have a 94.

Comment

Nice boat, congrats on the purchase.

Comment

Very nice
            "Hey baby want to make fourteen dollars the hard way?"--Rondhey Dangerfeild-Caddy Shack.

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
            ---Animal house

Comment

Thanks, everyone!
              -Matt

Comment

Oil Pressure Gauge

The gauge read 40psi with key on engine off and 80psi when running. PO replaced sending unit right before we showed up and did not fix problem.

Once I got it home, I ohmed out the sending unit with engine off and got 240 ohms. I also tested this at gauge and received the same value. Did the same while boat was running and recieved 100 ohms at both locations. So I assumed gauge was bad.

So I bought this gauge which is the closest match I found:

Teleflex 30180 Prism Series Boat Oil PSI Gauge

It's 95% correct, the lens and bezel is different and does not have the star on the face:

-Matt

Comment

Discount inboard marine will be a resource. skidim.com I'd contact them to get a catalogue sent sooner than later. They're very knowledgeable.
                  Nice boat, you're gonna love it.
                  I spent most of my money on booze, broads and boats. The rest I wasted. - Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by madcityskier View Post
                    Discount inboard marine will be a resource. skidim.com I'd contact them to get a catalogue sent sooner than later. They're very knowledgeable.
                    Nice boat, you're gonna love it.
                    Already placed an order from them. I did receive the catalog. Thanks for the info.

Thermostat

The thermostat housing was leaking, so I took it all apart and found no gasket. Also, the temp gauge hovered around 130 during water test. I took the thermostat out and dunked it in hot water. I noticed that is started to open/close at the 120 mark. I ordered a new 142 and gasket. Same hot water test with new t-stat shows open/close as advertised. So hopefully the temp will go to normal now.
                    -Matt

Comment

Here is view of the lake. I'm standing on the end of dock:

-Matt

Comment

Nice boat! Welcome

I can help you out with decals for cheaps. dog house gas shocks are cheap.

What lake is that? looks nice. lot's of great resources and people here.

you should pop rises and take a look inside there.. also check prop shaft alignment -

another cheap job is shaft packing...

I rebuilt my trailer brakes... not hard.

How are the trailer tires... ?

See you found etrailer - good folks to work with...

You will have to join us for the 2014 Illinois River Meetup...

Mike
                        sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                          Nice boat! Welcome

I can help you out with decals for cheaps. dog house gas shocks are cheap.
                          Thanks! Yes, please let me know more on the decals. That will be a winter project. I found the gas shock info in the FAQ. Any way you know the application info? I'd like to buy them from rockauto to save even more.

you should pop rises and take a look inside there.. also check prop shaft alignment -

another cheap job is shaft packing...
                          I'll look into it. What am I looking for inside the risers?

I rebuilt my trailer brakes... not hard.
                          I have a master cylinder and wheel cylinders on the way. Everything else looks OK.

How are the trailer tires... ?
                          Need new ones. May hold off until later. Won't be towing more than 1/2mi once I take it up north in 2 weeks.

See you found etrailer - good folks to work with...
                          I was like "how did he know that?" I ordered a tranny and PS cooler for the SUV. I've had it in the box for about a year. Now I have a reason to put it on. I did order the keel roller from them.

You will have to join us for the 2014 Illinois River Meetup...
                          Let me know when it is

Mike
                          Last edited by bochnak; 06-17-2014, 04:05 PM.
                          -Matt

Comment

Here is a shot of me wakeboarding behind a Rinker I/O a few years ago. A crappy jump, but the best pic I have:

-Matt

Comment

Looking for info on where to buy new decals. Here they are:

-Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X