89 prostar 190 questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 prostar 190 questions

OK so i recently got a prostar 190 and have a few questions about it. I got it knowing it will need some work and I have another inboard (non-mastercraft) but there are a few areas so far that i'm a bit curious about.

first off the rear seat is nowhere near stock. I have the equipment to make it and reupholster it but was curious if anyone had the design drawn up for the rear seat for that year or if it is for the newer years like the rounded '92 version that would be nice as well. If not if someone has their seat pulled if they could snap a couple pictures of it that would even be appreciated.

Onto the next question, the vinyl that mastercraft used, in '89 does anyone know what the name of the color grey is they used? If pictures are needed of the current vinyl please let me know and I will be happy to get them.

now mechanics. if you look at the output shaft it looks off to me. Any comments on this would be appreciated I just don't want to really mess something up or if something is messed up would rather fix it before it gets worse. (ignore the blower hose it is getting replaced)

now as we go to the rear of the boat, right under the forward most part of the fuel tank there is a cross member like piece. Mine appears to be broke in half. is this a structural piece or just to stop muffler vibrations? here are a couple pictures of it.

and finally it is has a powerslot in it and the prop is chewed up somewhat. I searched here for prop information but to be honest it was information overload. However what i did come up with was that looking in the faq the images in the comparison between the acme and the OJ i liked the propwash that the acme produced better than what was shown for the OJ. so for this boats configuration what acme prop would anyone suggest?

thanks for any and all help on these questions.
    Attached Files

Is the damaged area right above the prop as it appears it may be. You said the prop was damaged so maybe something wedged between the prop and hull forcing that area up enough to pop that gel covering off. Any damage underneath?

Comment

For the upholstery MC just called the grey color "grey", if the hull was a grey color they called it platinum.
      heres a few scanned pics from the 1989 brochure.
      Attached Files
      James

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
      sigpic

Comment

I agree, your output shaft looks off. I haven't done it myself, but I know you can, using the adjustment bolts, move the engine from side to side to help straighten things out. Having said that, it's a multi-step process, as you will need to be checking clearance on the two halves of the shaft coupler. A quick google search comes up with quite a few results.
        G

Comment

does dino-don or some name like that have leftover vinyl for that era?
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Hoosier Bob
          She always misses me and when I turn her on it is hard to turn her off! She is MC and she completes me! She is the first ride that wants it as much as I do!

Comment

Originally posted by cbryan70 View Post
            does dino-don or some name like that have leftover vinyl for that era?
            I saw a post from Dyno Don just a couple of days ago saying that he still had some of the material. He's a good guy to deal with, as I bought some from him last year.
            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by mustangtexas View Post
              Is the damaged area right above the prop as it appears it may be. You said the prop was damaged so maybe something wedged between the prop and hull forcing that area up enough to pop that gel covering off. Any damage underneath?

nope no damage above the prop underneath.

Comment

Love the brochure mccreight! I have an 89 PS any idea where I can get a copy of the brochure from that year?

Comment

OK after reading the propshaft alignment documents here I'm curious about both the prop shaft log and the strut. I believe i can do the alignment part easily enough but because the shaft looks like it is to one side a bit what should i check for as well? scarring etc....

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Eljaybee View Post
                    Love the brochure mccreight! I have an 89 PS any idea where I can get a copy of the brochure from that year?
                    I don't know where you can get a paper version, but in this thread I scanned the 1989 brochure that came with my boat when I bought my boat, not giving it up, lol, for the PS and TS...
                    http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...=1989+brochure
                    Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 08-15-2014, 08:33 AM.
                    James

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
                    sigpic

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

OK going to do a prop shaft adjustment hopefully tomorrow. I looked at the shaft and the log and can feel and see no scaring or wearing on them so hopefully i'm good there. However I'm not as sure about the strut bushings/cutlass bearings if anyone would like to comment on them it would be appreciated.

log

and the strut bushings/cutlass bearings

Attached Files

Comment

The cutlass bearing is worn on one side as I am sure you can see. I would replace the cutlass bearings if your are this far along. with the uneven wear you may get some vibration if the shaft is straight and the shaft has too much play in the strut.

getting the coupler off is a bit difficult sometimes. skidim sells a shorter socket to get at the nut. you will just have to fabricate someone to hold the shaft to loosen the nut.
                          sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by h_2_o View Post
                            OK going to do a prop shaft adjustment hopefully tomorrow. I looked at the shaft and the log and can feel and see no scaring or wearing on them so hopefully i'm good there. However I'm not as sure about the strut bushings/cutlass bearings if anyone would like to comment on them it would be appreciated.
                            how could you possibly not be sure of that cluster? take the entire drive shaft assembly/strut out and replace the cutlass. Someone has completely screwed the pooch on that mess. Pull it out and fix it right- the engine is not aligned properly resulting in this mess

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_a_cutlass

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

then realign the engine to allow the shaft to come in straight and aligned in the strut
                            Barack Hussein Obama
                            Worst President Ever.
                            Elected by White Guilt.
                            66 Million Suckers.

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
                              how could you possibly not be sure of that cluster? take the entire drive shaft assembly/strut out and replace the cutlass. Someone has completely screwed the pooch on that mess. Pull it out and fix it right- the engine is not aligned properly resulting in this mess

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_a_cutlass

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

then realign the engine to allow the shaft to come in straight and aligned in the strut
                              mostly because i've not done a cutlass bearing before so I am not 100% sure as to what it should look like or not. Thank you however for the links I am going to replace it.

Comment

Working...
                              X