Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

too late for fuel stabil?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • too late for fuel stabil?

    so i live down here in georgia, and i haven't had to "winterize" the boat necessarily for the entire winter, just drain the block every now and then when it freezes. i've been taking the boat out every 2-3 weeks, but i haven't had to refill it in some time. i've read that gas breaks down after two weeks, but the boat hasn't been running bad when i've taken it out. should i go ahead and try to run off the remaining 1/4 of a tank and then thrown some fuel stabil in about half a tank and let it run through some of it?

    it's been one of those things that i've just forgotten to do........

  • #2
    I'm not an expert on fuel destabilizing but I think you run it enuff not to worry about it. But just to make yourself feel better, don't run off the 1/4 tank just put in the stabile and bring it up to 3/4 full so when weather warms up fuel won't expand and run over!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by chudson
      I'm not an expert on fuel destabilizing but I think you run it enuff not to worry about it. But just to make yourself feel better, don't run off the 1/4 tank just put in the stabile and bring it up to 3/4 full so when weather warms up fuel won't expand and run over!!!
      I am not certain about this, but I propose fuel density doesnt change that much from 30°F to 100°F. For example the density of liquids like octane, heptane, ethanol, and water only decrease 4 - 5% over this range. You bring up a great point, but 1/4 tank might be too much of a buffer. But then again...how accurate are our fuel gauges?

      EDIT: I found once that temperature makes a huge difference if the tank is so full (or the boat is cocked) that the vent line contains fuel. This effectively seals off the fuel tank. The vapors expand strongly with increasing temperature, raising the pressure in the tank, and spraying out fuel from the vent. Big mess...
      Last edited by Jesus_Freak; 01-23-2007, 01:15 PM.
      Life is fragile; Pray hard (click for prayer requests)

      "Magna opera Domini exquisita in omnes voluntates ejus" - James Clerk Maxwell, physics pioneer, 1874

      Comment


      • #4
        Sounds like you've been running it enough. If it were me, I'd just fill the rest with 93 octane to bring up the overall octane for the layup and add stabil to the full tank. I'm no expert on this either though.
        Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

        Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

        FAQ


        Tyler Ski Club


        To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

        Comment


        • #5
          You're probably fine. I've heard that gas does start to lose octane rating and break down in ~1 month, but I've had gas sit longer and be OK. I'd pour in either Sta-bil or Sea Foam, then fill up the tank with fresh gas. I run one or the other in my boat almost all the time, unless I know I'll burn through a full tank in less than a month, which sadly is not too common fo me. I usually use Sea Foam more regularly, and Sta-bil at the last tankful in the fall.
          Good luck.
          1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
          2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far

          Comment


          • #6
            Your fine just top off with some good stuff.
            2006 Maristar 200VRS MCX
            KGB Ballast and all the works!

            Tow Veh: 2010 Toyota Tundra
            Bike: 2007 HD Street Glide

            Beer:Sam Adams Boston Lager/ Cherry Wheat, Petes

            Strawberry Blonde, Petes Wicked Ale

            Chief Petty Officer: "Results not excuses"

            "You Can't Beat a Tree"

            Comment


            • #7
              Seafoam it.....or use stabil if that's what you have laying around....

              It's not too late....
              .

              Comment


              • #8
                I am not promoting mistreatment of your boat but I have a lawnmower that has not been started in over a year(nor have I given it more than a second glance as far as maintenance) I guarantee it starts on the first pull next time I want to use it..... FWIW I have never knowingly had a stale fuel problem.... your results may vary
                Say yes to cheap beer---- no to ethanol.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ric
                  I am not promoting mistreatment of your boat but I have a lawnmower that has not been started in over a year(nor have I given it more than a second glance as far as maintenance) I guarantee it starts on the first pull next time I want to use it..... FWIW I have never knowingly had a stale fuel problem.... your results may vary
                  Well, that's the first time I've heard you compare proper maintenance between a MC and lawnmower....Good job... I agree, I would not stabil your lawnmower either. Although Mine gets it.
                  .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I figure any neglect should first be tested on items such as lawnmowers (and individuals you don't care about)
                    Say yes to cheap beer---- no to ethanol.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ric
                      I figure any neglect should first be tested on items such as lawnmowers (and individuals you don't care about)
                      Seafoam/stabil goes in my...Push and/or riding mowers, generator, weedwackers, chainsaws, snowmobiles, boat, motorcycles, or anything that doesn't run in a 30 day period for at minimum a warm up cycle.
                      Between that an running Amsoil in the 2 strokes I have no fuel or oil catastrophic engine related failure to report. Your results may vary......
                      Last edited by Workin' 4 Toys; 01-23-2007, 12:31 PM.
                      .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Workin' 4 Toys
                        Seafoam goes in my...Push and/or riding mowers, generator, weedwackers, chainsaws, snowmobiles, boat, motorcycles, or anything that doesn't run in a 30 day period for at minimum a warm up cycle.
                        Between that an running Amsoil in the 2 strokes I have no fuel or oil catastrophic engine related failure to report. Your results may vary......
                        I dont do any of that stuff and I too have no catastrophic engine failures to report.... maybe you are wasting your time and money?




                        YEEHAWWWWWWWW the wintertime snakeoil debate is ON
                        sorry for the threadjack guys!






                        .
                        Say yes to cheap beer---- no to ethanol.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ric
                          I dont do any of that stuff and I too have no catastrophic engine failures to report.... maybe you are wasting your time and money?


                          YEEHAWWWWWWWW the wintertime snakeoil debate is ON
                          sorry for the threadjack guys!
                          .
                          Well, since you mentioned it ....I have often wondered what the shelf life of fuel additives are...So I use what I buy assuming they too have a use by date of some sort. And if it takes one less pull or crank to get something started, I am time and money ahead...

                          I am a believer in Diesel fuel additives as well....But never used seafoam for that.
                          And I use Marvels mystery oil for storage in my nitromethane powered vehicles..
                          .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Workin' 4 Toys
                            Well, that's the first time I've heard you compare proper maintenance between a MC and lawnmower....Good job... I agree, I would not stabil your lawnmower either. Although Mine gets it.
                            Mine gets it, too.
                            Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

                            Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

                            FAQ


                            Tyler Ski Club


                            To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              alright........i guess i'll go get some fuel stabil. and empty it into a full tank of 93......maybe i'll take a quick set too if it's not too cold

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X