Low Hours Boat - Tower Crack!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Hours Boat - Tower Crack!

My fourteen year old says to me yesterday as we are crossing the lake "that thing looks weird" pointing to the tower. To my utter amazement I notice a nasty crack extending three quarters around the tower.

The boat is a 2007 yet only has about 100 hours on it. I don't want to even think about that thing breaking and landing on someones head in my boat!

Should I be speaking to MC HO about this? I won't even take the boat off the lift now - certainly won't tow anybody with it.
    Attached Files

thats uh... not right.

talk to your dealer

Comment

Yep, not a good thing..........
      MISS "B" HAVEN
      2007 X2, Indmar 350 MCX
      OJ 522 14.75 x 15.5
      2006 F150 SCrew Puller
      http://www.crowniehq.net
      http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif

Comment

I'm no metallurgist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and that is not a good thing... Can you post a picture that shows where on the tower the crack is? Kind of hard to tell where it is.

Comment

What all have you towed from the tower?

Comment

if thats an NDT tower, It is another I am not impressed with their welding, expecially considering you pay a premium for them. That crack failed due to the weld/welding process.

Comment

Since it's an 07 just curious, do you have the tower braces?

Comment

I would contact your dealer and MC HO. I would have a local welder look at it as well...just to make sure the crack can be nailed down to failed weld....looks like a little oxidation at the well crack...IMO
                sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Take the tower off and takle to dealer. No reason not to use the boat.
                  2 at 32' off 34 mph PB July 2006

Comment

Looks like the tube cracked and not the weld (except for the very bottom peice). That is strange for sure, you think it would take a lot of force to crack and aluminum pipe like that. Not sure if MC is obligated to fix something like that since its out of waranty, unless they have a lifetime garantee on the towers.
                    Current: 2009 X-Star, Indmar 6L, 400hp, ZFT3 tower. c/w 1/9 scale R/C PWT X-Star

Owned:
                    2012 X25
                    2011 X25
                    2009 Moomba LSV
                    2009 Moomba Outback V
                    2008 Monterey FS180
                    Pelican 4 set paddle boat
                    plastic tug boat when I was 4

Comment

how is he going to use it if he doesnt have a tower?

Comment

A little JB Weld and Duct Tape outta do the trick!

(I'm sure that would be covered under warranty of 'materials' from the vendor.)

Comment

Nothing other than my the usual - kids on tubes - wakeboarders. The weld is situated about half way up the top above the ski rack...and the crack is clearly above the weld on the tube and not the weld. I rarely use the tower - heck boat has a little over 100 hours over 5 years....the crack has really spooked me as to what "could of happened"...

Comment

Originally posted by Overdraft View Post
                            Nothing other than my the usual - kids on tubes - wakeboarders. The weld is situated about half way up the top above the ski rack...and the crack is clearly above the weld on the tube and not the weld. I rarely use the tower - heck boat has a little over 100 hours over 5 years....the crack has really spooked me as to what "could of happened"...
                            No I see what they are saying where it looks like a bad weld stressed the material. Do you have tower braces installed?

Comment

I would never tow a tube from a tower. Seen too many failures resulting in driver and passengers getting hurt and cut and major damage to the boat from a tower or top deck failing due to pulling a tube.

Comment

Working...
                              X