swing away tongue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swing away tongue

Has anybody used this swing away tongue from west marine. Is it easy to install and such. Any concerns that I need to worry about. I need to gain a few inches for storage.

I called a trailer shop to have one put in and I was quoted about 400-500 dollars to have them do it.
    www.midwestwakeboarder.com

I have one that came stock with my MC trailer and love it. You gain 6"-12" with it and have had no problems.
    This is very dangerous. . .you go first.

Don't be sad when it is over, be happy that it happened

Comment

The Fulton from West Marine (like many things from West Marine) looks cheesy and is designed for people who do not know that there are better alternatives out there. If you are serious about doing this, go the www.pivithitch.com. He can send you a kit that will not only compliment your trailer, but also will last longer and be much safer than the alternative. In my honest opinion...

Now, to answer your question. If you have a non-MC/Non-UFP tongue, you can throw this tongue on in an hour or so. If you have a UFP/MC Tongue, you will need to cut the MC/UFP tongue off, weld in an extension that will fit into the Fulton Swing Tongue and then bolt it all up. You can still do it, it will just be a bit more work...
      -Cameron
      2007 ProStar 197
      1996 ProStar 190

Comment

Here are some pics of my install of my PivitHitch...

Name:  91877303e4083590819b200fe81a6746.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  47.7 KB

Name:  96eaeb6f598af2273b792f894abd0362.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  72ce8aa6259ec03f3307878bc84cd037.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  87a2b8b48bd4747e09fafb2130476539.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  47.5 KB
        -Cameron
        2007 ProStar 197
        1996 ProStar 190

Comment

ah I see what you mean. I have a MC trailer but I did not get the swing away tongue was not a option at the time.

How big of a project is it to do, adding the pivit hitch did you so it yourself. Between me and my dad iam sure that we could install something like this. He does have a welder and assorted nice tools.

Comment

If you go with the pivit hitch, it can be done to an MC trailer in about an hour. Plus, paint, etc. All you do it disconnect the brake line, cut the tongue off, weld on the new knuckle, slide your old actuator into the new actuator tube, bolt in the actuator kunckle and connect the brake line up.
            -Cameron
            2007 ProStar 197
            1996 ProStar 190

Comment

Oh.... and you need to extend your safety cables. The ones that come on the MC trailers are too short, because you need to connect them to the trailer after the swing hitch connection.
              -Cameron
              2007 ProStar 197
              1996 ProStar 190

Comment

that sounds like a pretty straight forward install. Thanks a bunch. I think that I might head in that route of using a pivit hitch.
                Last edited by point1234; 10-01-2007, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jbfootin
                  ....You gain 6"-12" with it and have had no problems.
                  The title of this thread had me curious.
                  This post got me excited.
                  Then I read the rest of the thread and I am confused.

Comment

get your head out of the gutter toober toni

Comment

I tried to call Pivit Hitch but just got an answering machine. are they pretty good to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by point1234
                        I tried to call Pivit Hitch but just got an answering machine. are they pretty good to deal with.
                        Very good to deal with, but they work 6am to 3pm, so you need to catch them at the right time...

Ask for Dave Rogan.

Tell him that you will also need him to toss in a safety cable bracket
                        Last edited by Sodar; 10-01-2007, 07:09 PM.
                        -Cameron
                        2007 ProStar 197
                        1996 ProStar 190

Comment

Just got an email from Dave Rogan. Thanks a bunch for info off to do some measuring and seeing what I have.

Comment

I am planning to install a swing away tongue on my 95 MC trailer. I have a question about the brake line. Once the brake line is cut to allow the installation of the swing away tongue ... how do I reconnect the brake line?

Comment

Originally posted by Angry_Bill
                              I am planning to install a swing away tongue on my 95 MC trailer. I have a question about the brake line. Once the brake line is cut to allow the installation of the swing away tongue ... how do I reconnect the brake line?

get a 12 inch hose

Comment

Working...
                              X