Trailer Strap or Not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Strap or Not?

So how many people use a strap on the back of their trailers and how many go "strapless?"
    1989 ProStar 190
    351 Ford
    1:1 Velvet Drive

Photo Gallery

after hearing many horror stories i would say 90% of us do now
    KEEP YA TOES UP!!!!!

2004 X9 MCX ALL BLACK

http://www.prwb.net/tallington/index.php?id=12

nice older x-boat at berth in the advertisment above

Comment

I do not. I dont see the point.
      #1 supporter of wadka

Comment

Read thru this thread.

Look at thread 141.....

I didnt before, but I do now. And I think it saved me this past Sunday.
        Last edited by ski_king; 06-09-2005, 09:53 AM.
        STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER

Comment

Welcome aboard Rick. If you do a search on "straps" you'll find a lot of discussion on this topic, and a lot of good advice.
          "Measure your wealth not by the things you have, but by the things for which you would not take money."

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205, 275hp EFI -- Original Owner

Comment

I do, the point being to keep the boat in contact with the bunks under normal driving conditions.
            Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

going to get some straps be back soon.
              #1 supporter of wadka

Comment

just load the boat with Miller Light and go on about your business.

Comment

Originally posted by Powerslot82
                  I didnt before, but I do now. And I think it saved me this past Sunday.
                  I forgot about a severe bump/dip in the road near my camp. I usually crawl at 5 MPH over this spot. I was distracted and suddenly realized I was right on it going 45. I hit the brakes hard, slowed probobly to 25 when I hit it. Looked in the mirror and saw the boat and trailer airborne, but tied together. The boat shifted slightly on the trailer, but no harm done. Scared the crap out of me though.

This year is the first I used a strap. Thanks to all for waking me up and letting me know what could happen.
                  Last edited by ski_king; 06-09-2005, 10:08 AM.
                  STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by JEREMY79
                    going to get some straps be back soon.
                    Now thar's a good lad.

Pslot, we've got a boat launch pad about a mile from our lakehouse. Typically, people only forget about it once. I was scared straight when I almost jackknifed my boat to avoid killing an idiot that pulled out in front of me. Fortunately, I tend to drive about 10 mph below the speed limit when I tow anyway. Did not have the strap then. Bought it the next day.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

I strap it
                      Say yes to cheap beer---- no to ethanol.

Comment

ETS - how do you strap it. Do you use a big one over the top?? Or do use a couple small ones on the back??

If you go over the top, where do you hook it on to the trailer??

I'm just asking because I have pretty much the same setup as you.
                        2006 X-2, MCX, Blue and White

Comment

I use a large, ratcheted strap over the top behind the motorbox. I attach to the eyelits on the fenders (I have steel backing plates on the eyelits, but you may want to double check yours). I have never had issues with the fiberglass cracking on the fenders after doing this for over a year.

I use cut up tube socks to keep the strap from rubbing the gel coat. I've often said that those seat belt pads would work well for this, too, but would be a bit more expensive than old socks.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Comment

i used the same method on my b'foot 200...one large one all the way over....i use 2 rear and 1 front ratchet on the X9
                            KEEP YA TOES UP!!!!!

2004 X9 MCX ALL BLACK

http://www.prwb.net/tallington/index.php?id=12

nice older x-boat at berth in the advertisment above

Comment

again with the socks
                              Say yes to cheap beer---- no to ethanol.

Comment

Working...
                              X