What Oil for Oil Bath Bearings???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Oil for Oil Bath Bearings???

I have an '03 MC trailer and want to make sure I purchased the correct oil for replacement in the oil bath (80W-90 gear lube). Also, any pointers on removing the old oil and replacing would be great as well.

Thanks - Clayton

I think I used 75W-90 when I replaced mine. That 80W-90 should be fine. On my 2003 trailer, there was one screw on the hub. I removed it then turned the assembly so the opening left by the screw was facing down and drained it. It takes a long time to drain.

Refill it kinda slow because it takes a little time for the oil to make it to the front where the viewglass is. I refilled mine to the same level they were at previously. Probably about 3/4 full.

Comment

I'm not sure if your hubs are different than the GOLD Hubs on my 2002 205V trailer...but mine recommends to "Add oil until all of the air is forced out and no air bubbles can be seen. Hub cavity is completely filled with oil (50wt). There is no void, which would allow water entry during submersion of trailer in water and cooling of oil."
      Attached Files

Comment

2002 used UFP hubs. They are supposed to be full. 2003 should have reliable hubs. I think the consensus on there is they should be 1/2 to 3/4 full. This thread has some info.
        http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=22711

Comment

You can unscrew the outer cap or the allen plug on the hub to drain.

If you have reliable oil bath hubs.

Bearing Lubrication – Oil

Below is a listing of approved lubrication
          for all Reliable hubs and drums using oil
          for lubrication:
          (Only to be used when unit is equipped
          with the Oil Bath Lubrication System)

Lubrication Specifications
          Oil
          Approved Sources
          Valvoline Gear Oil 80W-90
          SAE 90 Hypoid Gear Oil

Exxon Gear Oil 80W-90

http://www.reliablepmw.com/downloads...ear_manual.pdf

There was also a change in the reliable documentation to fill the hubs completely full.
          Last edited by CantRepeat; 04-03-2013, 04:31 PM.
          Tim
          Gone, surfing.

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
            ...There was also a change in the reliable documentation to fill the hubs completely full.
            Do you have a reference to where they changed that? All the documentation from Reliable that I've seen including the one you posted says to the top of the reliable logo which is about 1/3 to 3/4 full.
            I love to travel, but hate to arrive. ~~ A. Einstein
            -----
            You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.
            -----
            Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
            -----
            My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me

Comment

Originally posted by GoneBoatN View Post
              Do you have a reference to where they changed that? All the documentation from Reliable that I've seen including the one you posted says to the top of the reliable logo which is about 1/3 to 3/4 full.
              It's been a while, like 2 years since I read it but I'll look around. I found it when I was replacing my broken plastic caps with the metal caps. It might have been an MC tech bulletin(just look and it's not an MC TB). I think it had to do with condensation or water build up in them while half full.

I'm going on 2 years without issue with them full of 90wt.
              Tim
              Gone, surfing.

Comment

Mine are full. No problems. Change annually with lucas oil bath bearing oil (has a semi picture on it) available at my local napa. As stated above, drain and fill process is slow if all you have is the allen screw like mine.

-jason

Comment

Our 2008 (different year than OP) manual states 50w oil .....
                  Keep a tight line, and a smile on your face. Peace out.
                  2008 Prostar 214 MCX
                  Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."

Comment

Originally posted by 93Prostar190 View Post
                    Our 2008 (different year than OP) manual states 50w oil .....
                    My 06 MC trailer manual doesn't have anything on hub oil. All it has is stuff like bolt pattern and other safety checks.
                    Tim
                    Gone, surfing.

Comment

Page 14 of this .....
                      http://www.mastercraft.com/files/man...r%20Manual.pdf
                      Keep a tight line, and a smile on your face. Peace out.
                      2008 Prostar 214 MCX
                      Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."

Comment

Originally posted by 93Prostar190 View Post
                        That's a nice little update right there.
                        Tim
                        Gone, surfing.

Comment

As an side note, my local MC service shop said they replace with Quicksilver gear lube used in Mercrusier I/O's. They said they do this because it is designed to still provide protection in the event of water intrusion.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quicksilve...Quart/16565456
                          "This 90W gear lube features improved emulsifiers to help protect gears should water enter the gear housing and tackifiers to improve oil film adhesion to gears and internal components. Quicksilver High Performance Gear Lube includes extra proprietary additives to protect from metal-to-metal contact and excessive wear."
                          I've not had a problem with water intrusion so I still just use the recommended by Reliable. I seem to remember other posts where people switched to 50w and their hubs ran cooler.
                          I love to travel, but hate to arrive. ~~ A. Einstein
                          -----
                          You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.
                          -----
                          Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
                          -----
                          My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me

Comment

Good luck finding 50W gear oil, most auto parts carry 75W & 90W, I found a Lucas product called "Hub Oil", shows a picture of an 18 wheeler on the bottle, does not state the weight, I had NAPA look it up and it is 60W, closest I could find. I was running 90W, but found it to run Hot especially during the 90+ degree summer days with a fair amount of breaking, I think the lower weight runs cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsCraft View Post
                              Good luck finding 50W gear oil, most auto parts carry 75W & 90W, I found a Lucas product called "Hub Oil", shows a picture of an 18 wheeler on the bottle, does not state the weight, I had NAPA look it up and it is 60W, closest I could find. I was running 90W, but found it to run Hot especially during the 90+ degree summer days with a fair amount of breaking, I think the lower weight runs cooler.

I believe it was 50w motor oil that was suggest in most documentation.

Do you have a part number for that hub oil product?
                              Tim
                              Gone, surfing.

Comment

Working...
                              X