2010 tandem axel trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 tandem axel trailer

Pulling my boat home this weekend, i noticed the trailer brakes "surging and jumping" when I slowed down to a stop. Any thoughts about what might be going on here?

Also, on occasion, when trying to back up, the brake lock-out doesn't activate causing the trailer to lock up. Not sure if this is related or not.

Thank you in advance.

I assume you have the electric reverse lockout .... check the ground on the lock-out valve. if the valve fails brakes will engage
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
      I assume you have the electric reverse lockout .... check the ground on the lock-out valve. if the valve fails brakes will engage
      Mike: Thank you. Can you tell me what / where the lock-out valve is?

Comment

If it's like mine, it's on the back of the actuator unit....
        Attached Files
        - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

Thanks I will check this. Is there a brake fluid reservoir I should check?

Comment

Originally posted by mramerman@gmail.com View Post
            Thanks I will check this. Is there a brake fluid reservoir I should check?
            Again, on mine......first photo shows the black plug. Remove and check your level. I think the level has to be at the bottom of the plug (might say it on it once you remove it.)
            - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

Discovery

So I checked brake fluid level and it was close to the top (very close)--assuming this is ok. Do I need to bleed brakes now?

I followed the plug back to the trailer and discovered exposed wires (not in rubber sleeve); that the safety chains had rubbed to expose raw wire on green & white. I stripped, wrapped and closed them off from any contact.

Do you think this was causing the pulsing? Surely seems like it might have grounded contact disabling back up and possibly creating surge / jump when braking.

Thoughts?
              Attached Files

Comment

I too would be interest in hearing about the backing up and brakes not releasing

My buddies 07 trailer would not back up unloaded the other day without the lock out pin inserted in.

Comment

Originally posted by ZachDaddy View Post
                  I too would be interest in hearing about the backing up and brakes not releasing

My buddies 07 trailer would not back up unloaded the other day without the lock out pin inserted in.
                  It has been an intermittent issue. I am fairly certain this is an electrical issue, considering the backup lights do not activate when the brakes don't dis-engage. I found wires from umbilical cord to the actuator that were exposed to the rubbing of the safety chains. These wires casing was worn off and exposed---guessing this was creating a short. I fixed and looking forward to testing this weekend.

Comment

It has been an intermittent issue. I am fairly certain this is an electrical issue, considering the backup lights do not activate when the brakes don't dis-engage. I found wires from umbilical cord to the actuator that were exposed to the rubbing of the safety chains. These wires casing was worn off and exposed---guessing this was creating a short. I fixed and looking forward to testing this weekend.
                    It would have to be a very large coincidence to have found these exposed wires and have them turn out to not be the problem. Good luck on the next road test.
                    - Peter
                    TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED
                    5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
                    CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
                    LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
                    2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
                      It would have to be a very large coincidence to have found these exposed wires and have them turn out to not be the problem. Good luck on the next road test.
                      agreed. considering the proximity (inches) to the safety cables and the amount of exposed wire (inch on both white and green)--I think it is nearly certain.

Finger's crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
                        Unfortunately my fixing the exposed wires did not cure the problem. I didn't tow the boat any distance, but I pulled it from the garage to detail / wash this weekend and the brakes locked up when I attempted to back it up.

I verified I have power to the female reciprocal on my 2010 F250... guessing the problem is in the plug or the actuator. Any thoughts?

Comment

Have you verified the lockout solenoid is working?

The surging while slowing down could be a bad spring in the actuator. In ski-me's picture, it would be that small grey spring. Do you trailer your boat a lot? I wouldn't imagine that spring would go bad in 2-3 years, but you never know.
                          -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mzimme View Post
                            Have you verified the lockout solenoid is working?
                            I have not. What is the test for this?

Comment

I have not. What is the test for this?
                              I don't know for sure, someone else can probably chime in. I'd imagine it involves verifying the solenoid is receiving voltage. If it gets power and is not locking out reverse, I'd replace the solenoid. You said you have power to the female portion at your truck, now you need to verify voltage at the solenoid to be sure it's making it all the way there.

What kind of trailer is it?

You may be able to hear the solenoid click by having someone shift the truck into reverse while you listen at the tongue of the trailer.
                              -Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X