Faded Fenders ..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faded Fenders ..

My fenders are showing their age, they are faded. They look great when wet, or when buffed out but that shine is short lasting.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a good scuff and clear coat will make them look better...anyone have experience?

Or should I just enlist a body shop to paint/clear?

Whats the cure?
    2002 Maristar 230 VRS

I plastidipped mine. Cost me about $20 and looks great.

Comment

Did you do your rims too Nick?

Also a tip for your white Agenda Surf traction pads, Use some soft scrub with bleach.

I've gotten mine pretty dirty with shoes and it made them back to new white with just a brush and a little of the soft scrub soap.
      sigpic
      When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things.
      1 Corinthians Chapter 13 - 11

Comment

Hydro dipped mine and made the diamond plate steps myself.

Comment

I am with Timvan. I am sick of my fenders looking awful. I may go the Plactidip route like Nick.

How much was it to hydro dip?

Comment

Rims are dipped too.

Loving that hydro Tay

Comment

Is the Hydro dip very expensive? I have the older trailer fiberglass covers and they are BIG!
              They are still very shiney as they get waxed frequently but I like that Carbon Fiber look!

Comment

I paid 370 for the dip. That included repair of the fiberglass, sanding, primed, dipped, cleared, 'etc. considering the condition they were in, it was well worth it. I thought new fenders were in my future.

Comment

The dip is a good idea..How scuff proof is it? Does it scratch easily?

local company does it for $.71 a square inch.. Think I will be inhaling paint fumes in the future
                  2002 Maristar 230 VRS

Comment

Originally posted by TayMC197 View Post
                    I paid 370 for the dip. That included repair of the fiberglass, sanding, primed, dipped, cleared, 'etc. considering the condition they were in, it was well worth it. I thought new fenders were in my future.
                    That's a good deal! Just the prep work alone, especially doing repair work, is ALOT of work!

Comment

Pretty durable if done correctly. Be careful, a lot of people say they do it but cut corners badly. The shop that did it for me has high end equipment. That's one thing that drove the cost down, they could do it right and in a lot less time.

I bump and stand on my regularly, no issues yet.

Comment

You could be courageous and refinish with Gel Coat.

My son turned a corner a little too tight and damaged a fender. Fortunately it was without the boat on so the damage turned out to be minor depending upon your point of view. It was a crack in the fiberglass which I mended by dumping some thin CA glue it to the crack. I was lucky in the fact that no real pieces were missing. Then I sanded the top. I filled the very minor divot with Gel Coat Paste. I ended up trying to thin the Gel Paste so that I could spray. It matches pretty good color wise but I got a rather dull (almost orange peel) effect. I've been letting it set so that the Gel would fully cure and then I'm going to try 1500 sand paper, followed by compound, etc - you know the drill; actually that is an excuse as I'm too busy using the boat this time of year. We'll see how it turns out but that is a project for later. If cannot get the Gel to shine I decided that it will be an off season project to just go ahead and redo with the proper Gel (non-paste) for spraying.
                        I love to travel, but hate to arrive. ~~ A. Einstein
                        -----
                        You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.
                        -----
                        Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
                        -----
                        My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me

Comment

Originally posted by TayMC197 View Post
                          ...and stand on my regularly...
                          Not with shoes on I hope!
                          I love to travel, but hate to arrive. ~~ A. Einstein
                          -----
                          You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.
                          -----
                          Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
                          -----
                          My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me

Comment

Originally posted by GoneBoatN View Post
                            Not with shoes on I hope!
                            Yep with shoes.. It's a boat.. I grew tired of not enjoying myself due to being to strict. I actually have fun now, with my dog in the boat.. Lol

Comment

I just finished a small restoration on my trailer this summer and it is much easier than you think. Major rust is another issue but for surface rust, grinding it down, hit it with a wire wheel and then treat it with Rust Mort (or equivalent) will neutralize the rust. Prep the trailer using an orbital sander with about 180 grit for the chip prone areas and undersides and about 280 for the tops and sides. Wipe it down, I sprayed an etching primer (DP40 PPG) and the next day I used a green scuff pad add some bite and sprayed 2 quarts of single stage GM summit white. Actually used my older siphon feed gun at 40 psi. Fenders I sprayed the same paint and then added chrome metal flake into the first layer of clear and then clear coated the fenders. They look great in the sun.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X