92 PS 351 wake spray and prop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 PS 351 wake spray and prop?

I picked up a 92 PS 190 last week. It has an OJ 13 x 13 prop and standard 351. I spent some time searching Teamtalk for ideas on props and noticed a picture of a wake in the "show me your wake" thread that looked really nice. Actually much nicer than mine.
    I was wondering what first hand experience some of the members here have had to reduce spray, rooster tail and improve the wake on this hull.
    I read in the 93 waterski boat buyers guide that in 93 MC set up the stars and stripe with a lower bow attitude on plane to improve what I mentioned above. Has any one tried this on the 92?

What speed?

What wind conditions?

It all depends on that
    What does the fox say?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...

Comment

Welcome.

The 93 S&S and 92 190 should have the same hull. The WSM guys may have weighted the nose or something to get it to ride a little more bow down. But it shouldn't need much, if anything, to have a wonderful wake.

Here is a prop comparison I did on my old 93 205 several years ago. My impression was that the CNC milled prop I replaced my factory 13x13 with improved the wake a bit.

As for chine spray, in no wind, you should be able to get into 35 off without too much trouble. Short of modifying the hull, there's not much you can do about that.
      Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

First attempt

I really want to see what difference it will make with the bow riding lower. The Boat was set up for a second battery up in the bow. So I purchased a battery to put in that spot and might move the primary battery from the rear to the front as well. Hope to run it this weekend and will take a camera along with me.
        Thanks for the help.

Comment

Maybe i ‘m not looking at this the right way, but wouldn’t pushing the bow down raise the transom higher and increasing the spray?

IMO, the OP did not consider speed or wind in his observations.
          What does the fox say?

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...

Comment

I understand what your saying about speed and wind. What I am looking at is the height of the spray at the stern of the boat. If I can change the spray direction from up to out I hope to improve the conditions for the skier at all speeds and wind. First try and easiest is change the plain of the boat and see what it does.

Comment

OK cool... I just think pushing the stern higher is going to increase it... Please post your findings, I've found spray at the testicular level is not fun...

LOL
              What does the fox say?

Comment

Install a 4 blade prop. The side spray is something you will just learn to deal with. I have about 250lbs in my bow with batteries, amps, gear etc. The side spray is still the same.

The prop did a lot and made the wakes softer and the turbulent prop wash is a lot less with a 4 blade.
                Rollin' Gangsta Style

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
                If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Comment

Btw -38 is still do able behind your boat, I've done it.... The newer ones have less side spray but you pay 3x as much for that luxury. Get some man hands and ski through it.
                  Rollin' Gangsta Style

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
                  If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                    Install a 4 blade prop. The side spray is something you will just learn to deal with. I have about 250lbs in my bow with batteries, amps, gear etc. The side spray is still the same.

The prop did a lot and made the wakes softer and the turbulent prop wash is a lot less with a 4 blade.
                    A newer 3 blade will soften the wake a bit as well.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

Yeah a new CNC oj or acme will be fine yes.

I love the 4 blades as the speed is more consistant and a bigger skier could pull the speed down with a 3 blade especially if the engine is not the HO engine. The 3 blades do have a higher top end though.

The torque with the 4 is awesome. Maybe I'll try a CNC 3 blade for grins.
                      Rollin' Gangsta Style

Comment

I also believe people added weight to the bow to represent 2 judges that would be sitting in the observer seat. That was my justification for adding all of my stereo system lol.
                        Rollin' Gangsta Style

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                          Yeah a new CNC oj or acme will be fine yes.

I love the 4 blades as the speed is more consistant and a bigger skier could pull the speed down with a 3 blade especially if the engine is not the HO engine. The 3 blades do have a higher top end though.

The torque with the 4 is awesome. Maybe I'll try a CNC 3 blade for grins.
                          The Acme 541 had the same or greater surface area as their 4 blade. I have a 4 blade now, but it was what was recommended for my boat. At the time I bought the 541, that's what Bill was recommending for my 93 Pro Star.

Eric's recommendations for the OJ may be different. I seem to recall BrianM's liking the OJ XMP four blade better in his application.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Comment

Did you guys notice a change in the rooster tail between the 3 and 4 blade props when testing? On my last boat I tried several different props and found that one prop made the 22 bump low/firm and another prop created a tall/soft bump. Long liners preferred not to see the large foamy RT.

Comment

Check out BrianM's prop comparison

http://press.mastercraft.com/teamtal...ad.php?t=31670

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Comment

Working...
                              X