Mastercraft Quality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastercraft Quality

Just wanted to see if any one else here would be disappointed to find this on their boat. Boat is a 2004 PS209. (310 hours ) Only time out in the elements is maybe 12-18 week-ends a year. The rest of the time it's kept in a storage building with the cover on. I can tell you I baby my toys, use only recommended products in their care. I don't allow shoes of any kind in the boat and never allow boards or skis to touch the upholstery. You be the judge..............
    BTW..........the heads at Mastercraft find this perfectly acceptable Pics are in this order 1. Left Sun Pad 2. Right Sun Pad 3. Obvious 4. Rear Seat Cushion 5. Right Bow Cushion
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mag_Red; 08-25-2009, 02:02 PM.

Mag, I'd say that's complete cr@p! My 96 PS190 doesn't even have any cracks in the vynil.
    '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

Complete BS!

As with Thrall, my 96 PS190 interior looked mint when I sold it with 200+ hours.

So you did contact Mastercraft? What did they say?
      If my words don't make sense, try reading them backwards.

Comment

that is sad to say the least. Sorry to see that. IMO that is not a normal, nor acceptable, wear life of the seats in a boat.

There are a lot of boats from the early 90's with that many hours on them that the interiors are in a lot better shape.
        I live in my own little world. But it's OK - They know me here

MONKEY FACE
        sigpic

Comment

Mag, I wouldn't find that acceptable in a 5 year old boat that has been well cared for. Seems to me MC was replacing skins not only for the pink stains but for the splitting vinyl as well. I got a complete new set for my 2001 but I had to install them. You may hit them back up again and see if they will agree to supply to skins if you take care of installation.
          2001 X30 LTR

Comment

That shouldn't be happening on a boat that has 310 hours on it, it should be replaced. What did your dealer say?

Comment

Originally posted by Thrall View Post
              Mag, I'd say that's complete cr@p! My 96 PS190 doesn't even have any cracks in the vynil.
              I couldn't agree more..........but like I said......it was brought to Mastercrafts attention and no skins for me! I've owned 4 boats before this one and None of them did this!!!! I'm actually considering a new boat....getting the itch for a wake boat.......but if I can only get a few years out of the vinyl........I might have to investigate one of those Aire Natiques...............seen a lot of them at Dale Hollow Lake two weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by scott023 View Post
                That shouldn't be happening on a boat that has 310 hours on it, it should be replaced. What did your dealer say?
                My dealer is no longer here. It was Zane Swank (sp????) that sold me on Mastercraft at the Cincinnati Boat show

Comment

Dangit mag, my seats look better than that and it's got 30 years on it...
                  M-Funf (a.k.a. Jeff)

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit

Comment

Originally posted by Mag_Red View Post
                    Just wanted to see if any one else here would be disappointed to find this on their boat. Boat is a 2004 PS209. (310 hours ) Only time out in the elements is maybe 12-18 week-ends a year. The rest of the time it's kept in a storage building with the cover on. I can tell you I baby my toys, use only recommended products in their care. I don't allow shoes of any kind in the boat and never allow boards or skis to touch the upholstery. You be the judge..............
                    BTW..........the heads at Mastercraft find this perfectly acceptable Pics are in this order 1. Left Sun Pad 2. Right Sun Pad 3. Obvious 4. Rear Seat Cushion 5. Right Bow Cushion
                    One thing I wouldn't allow is kneeling on cushions without putting something down to spread the load over a larger area. Fists, elbows and knees or any other weight over a small area is incredibly hard on seams and material. Without knowing the material, I couldn't say how much stretch it has but it varies widely from manufacturer to manufacturer and within each one's lines. The double-edged sword in this is that if it stretches like a balloon, it'll eventually look like one and if it fits really well when new, the material needs to be cut to resist tearing as much as possible. If it's exposed to direct sunlight, I can't think of a single material that will be unaffected. If they used a different supplier for that year, I would think others are having the same problems. I know they used cheaper vinyl in '99 and it wasn't even close to the quality of what they used before. It's also possible that a manufacturer discontinued some products and sold everyone on the new stuff being better. The backing looks like the type that's spun, not like the jersey backing used in a lot of automotive vinyls.

I know this isn't what you want to see as a reply but sunlight beats the crap out of all plastics and it's hard to keep it from becoming less elastic.

See if you can find out who made the material and I'll check into its characteristics. If it's known to have issues with splitting, I'll forward any info I find to you.
                    Last edited by JimN; 08-25-2009, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Mag I have a 1989 Prostar 190 and I am now replacing the interior this year and it has the origional interior in it. My boat was left outside in the elements for around 6 years unattended and the interior of the boat filled up with water. My interior doesn't have spider cracks like that and it was abused !!

Comment

I couldn't agree more..........but like I said......it was brought to Mastercrafts attention and no skins for me! I've owned 4 boats before this one and None of them did this!!!! I'm actually considering a new boat....getting the itch for a wake boat.......but if I can only get a few years out of the vinyl........I might have to investigate one of those Aire Natiques...............seen a lot of them at Dale Hollow Lake two weeks ago.

Mine is not as severe but is doing the exact same, and as you I have cleaned and taken extreme care with the interior. Never been out of storage except for the lake weekends.

I saw an 04 2 weeks ago that looked just like yours, so ir seems this is an issue with the vinyl from around those years. 60,000 grand and maticulous care I should not have this kind of issue.

Edit: 04X30
                        Last edited by TX.X-30 fan; 08-25-2009, 02:25 PM.

Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.

Comment

Go Mag Red. Nothing hurts more than to take meticulous care of something AND have it fall apart. I love my MC but if i was put in your situation it's bye bye MC.
                          1996 ProStar 190
                          PCM ZR6 W/ Zero Off

Comment

Originally posted by JimN View Post
                            One thing I wouldn't allow is kneeling on cushions without putting something down to spread the load over a larger area. Fists, elbows and knees or any other weight over a small area is incredibly hard on seams and material. Without knowing the material, I couldn't say how much stretch it has but it varies widely from manufacturer to manufacturer and within each one's lines. The double-edged sword in this is that if it stretches like a balloon, it'll eventually look like one and if it fits really well when new, the material needs to be cut to resist tearing as much as possible. If it's exposed to direct sunlight, I can't think of a single material that will be unaffected.

I know this isn't what you want to see as a reply but sunlight beats the crap out of all plastics and it's hard to keep it from becoming less elastic.
                            Agreed, but the vinyl in Mags boat (and those like it) is not the same quality of the past. You pay for quality when you buy a Mastercraft or 'Bu or Natty.
                            If my words don't make sense, try reading them backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by JimN View Post
                              One thing I wouldn't allow is kneeling on cushions without putting something down to spread the load over a larger area. Fists, elbows and knees or any other weight over a small area is incredibly hard on seams and material. Without knowing the material, I couldn't say how much stretch it has but it varies widely from manufacturer to manufacturer and within each one's lines. The double-edged sword in this is that if it stretches like a balloon, it'll eventually look like one and if it fits really well when new, the material needs to be cut to resist tearing as much as possible. If it's exposed to direct sunlight, I can't think of a single material that will be unaffected.

Then its a problem with the foam and vinyl, foam breaking down and causing more stress on the vinyl, either was its neither Mags or my fault and MC should step to the plate!!!

Jim any idea how I don't put weight on a cushion and get to the ski platform to put my board on??

Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.

Comment

Working...
                              X