Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Home Surveillance Systems Thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Home Surveillance Systems Thread.

So I'm looking at putting in a home surveillance system and want to know what other people are using.

What DVR/computer recording system software, phone alerting/calling reporting software, capturing uploading to offsite server?

What cameras, types, indoor, outdoor, fixed stationary, pan-able, IR, thermal--brands?

Cables, type routing, redundancy.

Possible professional monitoring companies.

What kind of long term usage reliability you are having with your equipment?

Adding this link to the legalities of home surveillance. Lots of good info for all states.

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/...ance-laws.aspx

http://www.jlmmerchandise.com/survei...egalities.html
    Last edited by CantRepeat; 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM.
    Tim
    Gone, surfing.

Tim, a big question to ask yourself is what type of system do you want to use? CCTV or IP Based? CCTV requires that you run coax cable with BNC connectors to all locations. The initial hardware is much cheaper and is easier to get into because they are a dime a dozen on cameras and such, but the problem is getting coax to all locations.

I have a bunch of Linksys Wireless IP based cameras around the house (1 looking out the back via a 2nd story window, 1 out the front via 2nd story window, 1 in the garage, 1 in the shop) and they work well. Most IP based ones don't do well outdoors unless you get the high end Axis cameras. I like the IP based ones as I can get to them remotely very easily via iphone/android/etc. Linksys has software that runs on Windows computers that acts as a DVR.

Most of the time you want to have a pan/tilt camera on your yards, things like a garage or shop camera don't need to be, but outdoors should usually be pan/tilt. I've used this one up at the parents cabin and it works well:

http://www.smarthome.com/75790/Smart...-Vision/p.aspx
    1996 ProStar 205

Comment

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Running the cables won't be an issue for me as I already have flood lights at each corner of the house. I do need one long range camera, about 125 feet to cover the shop and the boat.

I'm kind of thinking a combination of 3 outdoor cameras that cover each door, 1 to cover the shop and then one indoor camera to cover the main living room.

I figure I'll go with someone's DVR, don't know which one as I have no info on brands. It seems most have auto back up features to back up to a NAS box or computer. I'm sure I want phone notification on motion.

What about camera resolutions. I see a lot of 480s, 600s and what not. I assume higher res offers more detail at the cost of drive space. How much drive space is taken up by 4 or 5 cameras on full time record? IE how many days do you get before it starts record over old video?
      Tim
      Gone, surfing.

Comment

Get an izon, it's cheap, easy to move and pretty fair quality for 50. Not a serious system but I like it.

Comment

Anyone using QSEE systems?

http://www.q-see.com/products/produc...id=131&pid=110
          Tim
          Gone, surfing.

Comment

To add another question to the list:

How useful is the video image in a low light situation? In my case there is a street light about 100 ft away providing limited lighting at night. Could faces be identified under this circumstance?
            I love to travel, but hate to arrive. ~~ A. Einstein
            -----
            You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.
            -----
            Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
            -----
            My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me

Comment

Originally posted by GoneBoatN View Post
              To add another question to the list:

How useful is the video image in a low light situation? In my case there is a street light about 100 ft away providing limited lighting at night. Could faces be identified under this circumstance?
              I've not used or seen anyone's video but some of the 120 foot cameras say face recognition at 70 ft.

Hopefully someone has some cameras in their home they can recommend for long range video. I need one to cover my shop and boat.
              Tim
              Gone, surfing.

Comment

ive got 5 total cameras around my house, and they all record off of motion. The company is called alarm.com, and you can watch it from anywhere. it even has an iPhone app. they also have infrared night vision. was great to keep an eye on the house with our extremely pesky neighbors.
                "if one day the speed kills me, do not cry because i was smiling." -Paul Walker

Comment

I keep reading about 4/8/16 channel and I assume that is the number of cameras the DVR can record or display at one time?
                  Tim
                  Gone, surfing.

Comment

I have adefender with 4 cameras. Purchased used off Amazon and it has worked flawlessly. You should see the picture of the little brat that smashed our pumpkins a few years ago.
                    Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

Its about 1200 feet from my house to my dock. No power down there. Never had issues with anyone messing with my boat. However, it is accessible from the road and I had someone take a car down there late fall and get it stuck...ripped the crap out of my property getting it out of there. I've got an old trail camera over there now. I would have loved to catch those bastards down there...I'm looking at a day with a skidder to fix all the ruts they made

I'm sure it was some kids down there drinking or screwing or both.....
                      Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

A friend of mine just purchased this unit from Sams club
                        http://www.samsclub.com/sams/revo-16...navAction=push

He choose this unit because the system can be viewed live on most smart phones or any internet PC/MAC. It will also automatically notify you with Push Notifications when any or all of the cameras detect motion. Also You don't have to pay a penny for that service all you need is the internet connection.

He plans on installing it this week
                        Last edited by fskof; 01-06-2013, 08:14 PM.
                        2003 Prostar 209 MCX

Comment

FSKOF, getting an 404 on your link, page not found.
                          Last edited by CantRepeat; 01-06-2013, 08:10 PM.
                          Tim
                          Gone, surfing.

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                            FSKOF, getting an 404 on your link, page not found.
                            Fixed it. It should work now
                            2003 Prostar 209 MCX

Comment

Originally posted by fskof View Post
                              Fixed it. It should work now
                              That's a very nice system from what I have read. I don't think I need 16 channels right now. Sure there is a ton of room for expansion but I don't see me ever needing to record 16 feeds.

I'm thinking at the most 6 or 8 channels which should come in around $500 even with 4 cameras in the bundle.
                              Tim
                              Gone, surfing.

Comment

Working...
                              X