suggestions on transporting tv?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions on transporting tv?

anybody have suggestions on transporting a 55 inch led tv from one city to another an hour apart via SUV? its previously owned so its not in its original box.

thanks in advance

Wrap it in bubble wrap and and drive slow.
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

thick cardboard or plywood to protect the screen.
      Bailey
      '02 X-9
      Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

I think if you keep it more "upright" the glass will travel better and be less prone to breaking. If it's laying flat and you hit a large bump, the energy could be transferred more directly to a piece of glass horizontally. Vertically, they are stronger. Just think about glass company trucks, they are all in a more "vertical" position when transporting. I'm thinking the same type of principle.

With that said, I've moved our 60" plasma flat for about 1/2 mile without any issues and a lot of blankets/padding.
        - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

id have to agree with the upright standing i do think that is the best idea. i also heard plasmas are more delicate then lcd/led.

ski-me, what kind of vehicle did you have the 60" in?

Comment

I see that you are in the SW, which means maybe a warm climate (for this time of year). This is what I did, though it may sound funny...Wrap it up with bubble wrap and cardboard, stand it up on several blankets in the back of a truck, and have a buddy either drive or you drive and sit in the back of the bed and physically hold the tv for the trip. If it isn't too cold, should work out. This is what I did, had my father in law drive while I held my 56" (didn't trust anyone else to hold it) while he drove slowly to the new destination. Worked out great, and I felt every bump and wouldn't let it sway even an inch...
            Last edited by Tristarboarder; 01-11-2013, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I have thought about that too and that's probably what its going to come down to. just need to find the trusting person haha. I honestly don't care if it takes 3x the amount of time to get it home its just gotta be in 1 piece. well.. preferably 1 piece.

Comment

When i assisted my bro in law transport his new tv from best buy to his house, he had to ride in the bed of the pickup with it, as the center of gravity was way too high and tying the box was not working out
                What does the fox say?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...

Comment

Originally posted by turbofresh View Post
                  id have to agree with the upright standing i do think that is the best idea. i also heard plasmas are more delicate then lcd/led.

ski-me, what kind of vehicle did you have the 60" in?
                  In a suburban but I couldn't stand it upright. I haven't needed to transport a long way (only a few blocks), so I layed it flat. Longer distance I might be a little more concerned. But, if you padded the heck out of it (especially on the bottom floor), you might be OK transporting flat.....
                  - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

Why not put the screen side up against the seat back of the back seat (car/SUV), and then brace it with soft materials (blankets, cardboard, etc) to make sure it stays there? Screen face down on the floor would make me nervous... but maybe if it were on a bed of pillows/blankets it would be alright.

Comment

I've moved TVs both ways, and definitely vertical is the way to go. You might want to see if it fits in the back seat. Our 55" fit in front of the back seat of our Tundra crewmax, with room for 2 people to sit back there and hold it from rocking back and forth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
                        I've moved TVs both ways, and definitely vertical is the way to go. You might want to see if it fits in the back seat. Our 55" fit in front of the back seat of our Tundra crewmax, with room for 2 people to sit back there and hold it from rocking back and forth.
                        I have moved several with and without boxes. Upright On the floor behind front seats is the best spot. Put a packing blanket or towels over it and slide the passenger seat back to sandwich it between the front and back seats. If it is too tall you can usually take the base off with a couple of screws.
                        -Chad
                        sigpic
                        2010 X-14v
                        previous
                        2001 MC Prostar 190,
                        1989 CC Ski Nautique 2001,
                        1984 CC Ski Nautique,
                        1979 CC Ski Tique

Comment

mount that thing to something stable inside the SUV, install a dish, and fire that bad boy up!!!!!

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE, BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine

Comment

I am active duty military, we just moved recently and the moving company wrapped ours in the thick brown paper, set it in a box stuffed more paper in then capped it off with a top for the box, tapped and was good. Made it from chi, IL to hampton, va. No problems, our others we had the original box for. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by turbofresh View Post
                              anybody have suggestions on transporting a 55 inch led tv from one city to another an hour apart via SUV? its previously owned so its not in its original box.

thanks in advance
                              Wrap it in a moving blankey and use the seat belts to keep it from tipping. If you have ratchet straps or bungie cords, use those to strap it to the rear seat in but only the back of the TV in contact with the seat. As long as you don't start and stop too fast, you won't have a problem.

You can lay it flat- it's not a problem but make sure there's nothing pressing into the screen.

Comment

Working...
                              X