PEX Plumbing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEX Plumbing

Anybody have any experience with this stuff. Been used in Europe since 1980.

http://www.pexinfo.com/

It has been widely used in residential around here (Cincinnati) for several years, but I am just now seeing it in the specifications on commercial project more frequently. It is cheap, installs easier than sweating copper fittings, and most guys run it right in the concrete floor slab instead of running it inwall or overhead thereby eliminating the need for hangers and supports. If I were building a house, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. We install very little of it as we do exclusively commercial plumbing, but we do use it when allowed.

Comment

Yes. All of my plumbing subcontractors use pex.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6

Comment

Originally posted by Lottawatta View Post
        It has been widely used in residential around here (Cincinnati) for several years, but I am just now seeing it in the specifications on commercial project more frequently. It is cheap, installs easier than sweating copper fittings, and most guys run it right in the concrete floor slab instead of running it inwall or overhead thereby eliminating the need for hangers and supports. If I were building a house, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. We install very little of it as we do exclusively commercial plumbing, but we do use it when allowed.
        Does it pass residential code in Cincinnati? I like what I see, seems easy enough and the crimping tool is not that expensive. I sure am tired of sweating cooper, plus this looks like you can make more direct runs etc.

Comment

I used it on a repair for the kitchen sink hot supply line. Easy as can be and they make a connector to go from brass to PEX.
          - Peter
          TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED
          5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
          CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
          LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
          2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

My entire house uses this, it's looks like it made everything a lot easier. And repairs will be easier down the road I think.

Here's the manifold

You can turn off each line individually which I like
            1990 prostar 190, 351, powerslot 1.5:1, tinted windows

Comment

Forget the crimps and crimping tool. There are fitting called gator bites that are made for pex tubing and they are awesome. I have used them and there is nothing that could be easier. They sell them at my local lowes hardware.

Comment

Pex is the norm here in MA for residential. Not approved for commercial here though. Then again, neither is PVC drain pipe.
                '97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.

Comment

Well, I guess when there are a lot of fitting connections like the picture above it would be easier or cheaper to use crimps. But for things like going from a long section of pex to an outdoor spicket the gatorbite fittings are really nice.

Comment

http://www.sharkbite.com/

I think this is the originator of the fittings I am talking about. Just the brand I have seen in stores here are called gatorbite instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason.H. View Post

I think this is the originator of the fittings I am talking about. Just the brand I have seen in stores here are called gatorbite instead.
                      Those are probably prohibitively more expensive than the standard pex fitting. To use the pex fittings you use a tool to expand the pipe. Then you insert a fitting and ferule and the pipe shrinks back down for a secure fit. The crimp style is not for pex. (ICBW, but I think the crimps are for a different brand of the same style pipe.)
                      '97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.

Comment

we used PEX to add an additional faucet to the back of our house about 50 feet exterior from an existing faucet. I was going the PVC route but it was going to be a royal PITA due to all the 90* angles & cuts to follow the base of the slab around to the added location. I got it along with the sharkbite fittings at our local Home Depot ... they also had these bent sheet metal devices that snapped on the PEX to make a 90 angle (kinda rounded 90) ... entire job took maybe 30 minutes including all the fittings & faucets along with drilling into the slab & brick to put stabilizer brackets. What the biggest selling point to us was it is much more durable to extreme temperatures (since we were running outside without any insulation).

Comment

Originally posted by Jason.H. View Post

Lowes sells Gatorbite. home Depot sells SharkBite. They are more expensive than the crimp-style, but they save time and are removeable/reusable. They also will work transitioning to copper. I use a lot of pex and always use the bite-style connectors.

Comment

I have pex in my house and like it. Easy to work with compared to sweating copper, as previously stated. We also use it a lot in commercial kitchens. Much easier to work and run lines. You can run pex for all your rough ins then your through wall connection can be copper line for appearance/code

I can come up with some pictures if you'd like

Comment

Originally posted by MattsCraft View Post
                              Does it pass residential code in Cincinnati? I like what I see, seems easy enough and the crimping tool is not that expensive. I sure am tired of sweating cooper, plus this looks like you can make more direct runs etc.
                              Yes, many new construction residential guys use pex everyday here.

ETA: As a matter of fact I am getting ready to use it in a new 100 bed nursing home we will be starting in the spring.

Comment

Working...
                              X