Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SLED-jack'd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SLED-jack'd

    Neverending SLED-jack.

    Sorry,
    I just couldn't steal the title name even though it wasn't the same.......
    .

  • #2
    Originally posted by datdude
    The Mach Z came out as a 2005 model, and I bought the Gade in 2004. The Mach Z does not really fit my riding style, and the 800ho has more than enough juice for me.. We spend most of our time riding the powerlines and boondocking in the U.P. so the longer track(136") works well. My buddy had a 2005 Mach Z and it was fun if you spend all of your time lake racing(LAME). It is fun to go 110 mph for a while, but I would rather pick a line through tight trees up a hill in waist deep snow and try not getting stuck. Even trail riding is getting boring for me as of late. The new 1000cc Renegade is a cool looking sled and my dealer friend has one as his demo so I am sure I will spend some time on it this Winter, but I still don't see where I need a 1000. I am actually trying to downgrade to a 440 again. They are so light and just a blast to ride
    I hear that. I don't have the means for storing a ton of sleds like my buddies do. Alot of them have many. One guy has about 10. Some of which include 600's on up through 1200cc's He is a Polaris guy as is his daughter, and her husband. A polaris family persay.
    I wish I could comment more on Doos. The one guy that has a Mach Z from last year, NEVER once came on any trips with us last year. He sold his F7 for it. We seem to think it was because there are 3 other F7's in the group, and he wanted something different. I still don't know if he ever actually uncovered it yet.
    The other doo around is owned by a non doo guy, although it isn't a factory sled, he took a 583 sled and put in a 440 fan. He uses it as his beater sled.
    .

    Comment


    • #3
      I am really not brand loyal,but I rode the REV and was hooked. I used to ride a 2002 MXZ 700 and it was a great sled, but after a 100+ mile day on the trails my back was shot. Since I have switched to the REV I have honestly not gotten off the sled with a sore back...even after a few 250 mile days. Being able to ride standing straight up for 50 plus miles through the washboards that are Northern Wisconsin trails (Fri-Sun) is PRICELESS. I have heard some complain that their knees get sore, but I have not experienced that. As soon as any other manufacturer comes out with a truly "rider forward" sled I will take a look. We should get a TMC sled trip set up for those who are interested. I would put my vote in for Minocqua, but that could be discussed if it all works out
      Always Happy.......Never Satisfied


      25 Mastercrafts and counting

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Datdude
        I am really not brand loyal,but I rode the REV and was hooked. I used to ride a 2002 MXZ 700 and it was a great sled, but after a 100+ mile day on the trails my back was shot. Since I have switched to the REV I have honestly not gotten off the sled with a sore back...even after a few 250 mile days. Being able to ride standing straight up for 50 plus miles through the washboards that are Northern Wisconsin trails (Fri-Sun) is PRICELESS. I have heard some complain that their knees get sore, but I have not experienced that. As soon as any other manufacturer comes out with a truly "rider forward" sled I will take a look. We should get a TMC sled trip set up for those who are interested. I would put my vote in for Minocqua, but that could be discussed if it all works out
        So far, we are booked for the first week in Jan, Feb and March.
        We are going to head up for the winterfest and Wienie roast events. Both of which are race oriented, but lots of fun for those that don't. Including the world's largest wienie roast...
        We will FOR SURE be heading to lower Mich as soon as it snows(and it will, as always). I have Eric on my inform list when we hit it, (if he doesn't have to work )
        I am all for a trip...

        You ever hit lower Mich? We had about a 60 mile ride last season, and we met up with 6 others on the trails we ended up riding with the rest of the day, including hitting a lunch stop and fuel with.
        it's no where near as rider friendly as N. Wisc. but it was only an 1 1/2 away, and our riders with kids (including myself find it much easier to break away for a day run instead of 3 or 4 day)
        .

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Workin' 4 Toys

          You ever hit lower Mich?

          My riding friends live in Milwaukee and leave their sleds at my house so most of our riding is around Minocqua or we trailer 2 hours and drop off just south of Houghton and ride off-trail in the U.P.. Where in Northern Wisconsin do you normally ride? I know CruiserFest is a big thing here in Minocqua in Feb. if I remeber right? I think there are enough TMC members in the midwest that are into sleds that it would be worth meeting up sometime?
          Always Happy.......Never Satisfied


          25 Mastercrafts and counting

          Comment


          • #6
            We used to ride some in Twin Lakes, Wisc. But due to lake of snow these last few years we found our way up to Hayward, Gogibic, and western U.P. some of the guys have family up there, so it is somewhat easy. Although 8 hours away. Last year one trip took us 14 hours to get there because of a huge storm on the way through Madison on up.

            Sorry about the lower Mich suggestion, I was thinking you were closer than you are.

            I would certainly be up for a trip for a day or so up by you. The trips we have booked are done, set in stone. We have alot of people to make arrangements for and has to be done early so we can fit everyone.

            But the other weekends are somewhat open. We could get together sometime up there. You will have to keep me up to date on you weather. I am assuming you start to get hit within the next week or so and hopefully keep it through March. But you never know. I think it is going to be an outstanding year for snow. (My meteorlogical intuition)

            It's a HOT NOV 3, 70 degrees here today... YUK!! And the boats put away, double YUK!!!

            What is CruiserFest?
            .

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Thrall
              Haven't seen any of the Apex machines out, but have ridden w/ a couple RX-1's and a TRX once.
              My piped 800 RMK handed a RX-1 MTN his a$$ in a straight drag race, and it was a 40 deg day where I couldn't ride 1/2 mi w/o putting the scratchers down.
              Turbo, though, look out! The TRX I ran w/ was mild boost 8-9 psi I believe. He said it was pushing close to 200 hp and I believe it. The TRX was carrying 60-65mph trackspeed where I was gettin 40-45mph tops.
              I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Apex if I had the money to spend. Especially for back east ridin.
              I've also seen some Turbo'd sleds just puke their way to the finish line. There is an awful lot of stress on those engines, especially when these guys think they can beat the cr*p out of them without touching the engine and hit the boost to 12. I've seen some guys advertise their kits as stock engine with 200+hp by just adding the kit. Little do they know just how many engines they had to change to be able to say thay.
              The last race event I was at about two weeks ago, the turbo's RX1 came in FAR last place of a 4 sled race. F7, then a custom modified something I could not tell, then another F7, then the turbo'd Yami. It was open mod 800 class I believe.
              .

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Workin' 4 Toys
                We used to ride some in Twin Lakes, Wisc. But due to lake of snow these last few years we found our way up to Hayward, Gogibic, and western U.P. some of the guys have family up there, so it is somewhat easy. Although 8 hours away. Last year one trip took us 14 hours to get there because of a huge storm on the way through Madison on up.

                Sorry about the lower Mich suggestion, I was thinking you were closer than you are.

                I would certainly be up for a trip for a day or so up by you. The trips we have booked are done, set in stone. We have alot of people to make arrangements for and has to be done early so we can fit everyone.

                But the other weekends are somewhat open. We could get together sometime up there. You will have to keep me up to date on you weather. I am assuming you start to get hit within the next week or so and hopefully keep it through March. But you never know. I think it is going to be an outstanding year for snow. (My meteorlogical intuition)

                It's a HOT NOV 3, 70 degrees here today... YUK!! And the boats put away, double YUK!!!

                What is CruiserFest?
                CruiserFest is the festival here in Minocqua put on by the Cross Country Cruisers (the local snowmobile club). They have radar runs, and some parties and stuff....nothing major. I will keep you posted on the weather and snow up here. I have room for 2-3 people at our house if we can figure something out on a weekend or whatever. There is a chance for rain/snow mix on Sunday, but next week looks to be in the low 50's. We had decent snow here last year by the 2nd week in December if I remember right. We rode North of Ashland on the 1st weekend of December 2 years ago so it is not too far away .

                BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP
                Always Happy.......Never Satisfied


                25 Mastercrafts and counting

                Comment


                • #9
                  So, do you guys pull tubes behind your snowmobiles? If so, which is better - the Arctic Cats or the SkiDoos?
                  '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Two years ago we rode in Vilas county and to the north right around december 10-14.

                    I hope to take my first trip the last week of december and first week of january.
                    sigpicwww.lauderdalelakesmarina.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Workin' 4 Toys
                      I've seen some guys advertise their kits as stock engine with 200+hp by just adding the kit. Little do they know just how many engines they had to change to be able to say thay.
                      The last race event I was at about two weeks ago, the turbo's RX1 came in FAR last place of a 4 sled race. F7, then a custom modified something I could not tell, then another F7, then the turbo'd Yami. It was open mod 800 class I believe.
                      Sounds like you are going to be even more p!ssed off at boosted Yamaha's this coming winter than you were last winter.
                      MPI's supercharger kit is totally sold out until Jan 2006 (5 psi=180 hp. on premium and 10 psi=220 hp on 50-50 94/110).
                      Then there's the turbo guys. The one's I'm familiair with (Powder Lites and Alpine.....and they are little guys compared to Bender, Simons CPR and MCX) are selling A LOT more kits than they did last year.
                      Sounds to me like all these guys putting down $5k for one of these kits don't share the same opinion about reliability as you do......and many of these guys are ride in places where a breakdown can mean getting the sled carried out by a helicopter.

                      Getting back to your post above though...... do you think sleds that are competitive in an open mod class have any similarity to a machine that can be ridden on a 300 mile ride.... which is what A LOT of guys that buy 10 psi and under kits are doing?
                      Last edited by JDK; 11-03-2005, 05:54 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I don't understand it, it is great to go fast, and it is greater to beat your buddies, but where do you draw the line? I have done 100+ on my sled and had it with the gps, and at that speed one mistake you are done. What is the need to do 140????
                        sigpicwww.lauderdalelakesmarina.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bigmac
                          So, do you guys pull tubes behind your snowmobiles? If so, which is better - the Arctic Cats or the SkiDoos?
                          Ski Doos are better. Arctic Cats are unreliable seem to break down A LOT . We used to pull people on snow skis when I was a kid until my neighbor broke his leg on our lake . Tubes would be fun......might have to try that this winter.
                          Always Happy.......Never Satisfied


                          25 Mastercrafts and counting

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Datdude
                            Ski Doos are better. Arctic Cats are unreliable seem to break down A LOT . We used to pull people on snow skis when I was a kid until my neighbor broke his leg on our lake . Tubes would be fun......might have to try that this winter.
                            I have had very good luck with my Arctic Cat, lets not turn this into a my sled is better than yours thread?
                            sigpicwww.lauderdalelakesmarina.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by erkoehler
                              What is the need to do 140????
                              There is no need. I would venture a guess that 80% of the turbo Yamaha kits are sold West of Saskatchewan/North Dakota for riding in mountains and snow that is bottomless.
                              Did you notice the post about trackspeed above. This determines whether you keep moving or get stuck.
                              Once you've driven a sled with more than 200hp. or 300 hp. at wide open, and you are only moving 40 or 50 mph you will be hooked.Currently, there is only on manufacturer that can offer this kind of power (the other guys aren't even in the game).
                              Last edited by JDK; 11-03-2005, 06:06 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X