3rd Vehicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Vehicle

My daughter will be driving shortly and my wife and I are thinking about a 3rd vehicle. Criteria:

4wd
    Seats 4 to 5
    Reliable
    Safe

Thinking 6 - 8K in used market

Towing capability a plus.

Suggestions?

Considering Jeep Wrangler Hard-top which may be a bit more spendy than this range.
    Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Capable of towing what? The boat?

Comment

A cherokee classic might fit the bill. I loved my Cherokee (1991 version, straight 6, 5 speed) and had over 200K when I finally let it go. $8K might be a bit of a challenge to get everything you want unless you are willing to go high mileage.

Comment

I wouldn't tow anything bigger than a utility trailer with a YJ. The JK's are a little more stable (wider, longer) but still not great for towing and going to be way over $8,000.

Comment

Towed my jeep with a grand cherokee straight 6 just fine. Granted the V8 is better but choices...

6k to 8k you can find a decent SUV with high mileage (150k+) like a toyota or something along those lines. Problem is SUV's hold their value way to well to come down in price without the high mileage.

What about an AWD vehicle like a subaru? Those have some great crash ratings.

Comment

Toyota 4Runner

Comment

Trailblazer/Envoy, I have had three of them. Great cars and pretty darn good tow vehicles.
              OH-IO!

Comment

If you looked hard enough, you could find a 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee with the V8 in it for 10k. Plenty with the v6 in your price range with right around 100k miles.
                -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mzimme View Post
                  If you looked hard enough, you could find a 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee with the V8 in it for 10k. Plenty with the v6 in your price range with right around 100k miles.
                  Was also gonna be my recommendation!
                  "if one day the speed kills me, do not cry because i was smiling." -Paul Walker

Comment

Trailblazer or 4 runner is where I would start.
                    2008 X-45 Pro Tour Red and White

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyB View Post
                      My daughter will be driving shortly and my wife and I are thinking about a 3rd vehicle. Criteria:

4wd
                      Seats 4 to 5
                      Reliable
                      Safe

Thinking 6 - 8K in used market

Towing capability a plus.

Suggestions?

Considering Jeep Wrangler Hard-top which may be a bit more spendy than this range.

Don't get a teenager a Jeep wrangler. They will flip over easier than any other vehicle. Very short wheelbase.

Comment

Originally posted by jgraham37128 View Post
                        Don't get a teenager a Jeep wrangler. They will flip over easier than any other vehicle. Very short wheelbase.
                        I agree, my son will be 16 next year and the plan is to give him my Trailblazer. It will have about 160k on it by then.
                        OH-IO!

Comment

Originally posted by jgraham37128 View Post
                          My first vehicle was a 95 wrangler.. Great rig, but I don't recommend a jeep to anyone for daily driving. A Jk might be nice to drive daily though.. I pulled a couple atvs with mine fairly often, 4cyl 5 speed.. Couldn't get in a hurry anywhere.
                          1990 prostar 190, 351, powerslot 1.5:1, tinted windows

Comment

Don't know if you'd want the fuel consumption, but what about an older Tahoe/Expedition? Seems like they would meet your criteria.
                            G

Comment

Good point on jeep.

my daughter takes after my wife and will top out at 5ft in height so a tahoe/expedition is a bit too big

Saw a 4runner w 200k miles for 4500....looks like a garage queen too

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk
                              Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

Working...
                              X