• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnE
    Super Moderator
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by TheLivinIsEasy View Post
    Just looking at your post made me realize that maybe the nomenclature was not as senseless as it seems. Add a 2 in front of all three you mentioned and place a decimal and you get the length, e.g., X(2)45 = 24.5 footer, X(2)55 = 25.5 footer. A bit more work than, say "X23", but I wonder if that is how they came up with the numbers. Works for some others like the X10 and X30 as well. Dosen't work for X2 though.
    There was some reasoning, but it wasn't consistent. As you pointed out, add the 2 and a decimal and the X45 = 24.5. Same with Marisar 215 = X15 = 21'-5"' boat. Maristar 230 = X30 = 23.0' boat. And Prostar 214 = X14 = 21'-4" boat. The '06 X2 makes some sense, as a 20' boat, but doesn't follow the above, or it would have been called an X20. But it wasn't. And to muddy the waters the '05 and previous X2 was the original 205V....that makes no sense as an X2. And when the '06 X2 (20' pickle fork) made its debut, the 205V/X2 was rebadged as an X1...??? That makes no sense. There was some logic to all this badging, but it became convoluted as the lineup expanded. If you followed or reviewed it from the beginning it would make sense and you could identify the flaws in the logic, all at the same time. To be new to MC in this day in age, and to try to sort out boats from the last 20 years would be daunting.
    Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

• gwozhog
      MC Devotee
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by NearlyThere View Post
      I'm looking for my first boat for a growing family with friends. I'd like to be able to do all of the water sports in various forms. Is there a list of what the older models are primarily best at?

X-45 good at?
      X-30 good at?

What other models are out there? What lengths are they?
      Would stick with 20-21 ft for your first boat. Easier to trailer, load, unload, dock,backup, and drive. Get a couple summers under your belt then get a bigger boat if you need the space.

Comment

• JohnE
        Super Moderator
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
        Would stick with 20-21 ft for your first boat. Easier to trailer, load, unload, dock,backup, and drive. Get a couple summers under your belt then get a bigger boat if you need the space.
        Good advice and the smaller boat may have a quicker resale.

Comment

• sseager
          TT Enthusiast
          • Feb 2014

So the boat spreadsheet peaked my interest so I started one using NADA as a start to get model, length, beam and weight. I also added bow type.

I will put it on a google doc once I have more info on it.

What other options should I put on the list? Capacity maybe?

Comment

• mmskiboat
            TT Enthusiast
            • Sep 2019

Originally posted by sseager View Post
            Years Produced?
            Activities (Wake, Surf, Ski with a 1-10 scale?

Comment

• sseager
              TT Enthusiast
              • Feb 2014

Won't activity rank be very subjective? Not opposed to it just wondering how it will work.

I have the spreadsheet setup by year.
              Attached Files

Comment

• TheLivinIsEasy
                TT Enthusiast
                • Feb 2018

So the boat spreadsheet peaked my interest so I started one using NADA as a start to get model, length, beam and weight. I also added bow type.

I will put it on a google doc once I have more info on it.

Whether it had a surf system (standard or as an option) and what type/gen might be helpful.

Comment

• skydyvyr
                  MC Fanatic
                  • Jun 2017

How about tower info, what tower came standard and what towers were available as options (for model years 2012 and later where there was more than one tower option per year)?

For the early to mid 2000 boats, knowing what each model was the previous year would be good. It would also be good to know the years of the production run for that model.

Maybe also have a cross reference for models that share the same hull but different option packages, ie X15 == Maristar 215 (if that is right).

—Sky
                  ------------------------------------------------
                  2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
                  2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

• mmskiboat
                    TT Enthusiast
                    • Sep 2019

Won't activity rank be very subjective?
                    I guess it does not need rank maybe just an indicator like "Not Good", "Ok", "Great"
                    If I was looking for a surf boat I could then eliminate the ProStar for example.

Comment

• JohnE
                      Super Moderator
                      • Jan 2006

This effort will take a lot of work. For example, with the towers.....The tower name was unchanged even though the towers were changed. i.e. ZFT3 encompassed several designs. This endeavor needs to either be done thoroughly and accurately, or not at all, IMO. Could make a good winter project/ collaboration.

Comment

• NearlyThere
                        TT Newbie
                        • Oct 2019

I know I'm on the outside looking in but this spreadsheet would save me and many others starting needless threads about general topics(i.e. best surf wake, best ski boat, best crossover, used vs new, etc...).

Comment

• Huckelfin
                          MC Fanatic
                          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                          This effort will take a lot of work. For example, with the towers.....The tower name was unchanged even though the towers were changed. i.e. ZFT3 encompassed several designs. This endeavor needs to either be done thoroughly and accurately, or not at all, IMO. Could make a good winter project/ collaboration.
                          I agree it needs to be thorough, this forum is the definition of thorough. Many different models, but it doesn't seem like a public google sheet spreadsheet would take long to fill in info. Owners of each particular model obviously knows a ton about what they have, this doesn't have to be done by a single person.

Comment

• Married2Maristar
                            TT Enthusiast
                            • Apr 2020

Won't activity rank be very subjective? Not opposed to it just wondering how it will work.

I have the spreadsheet setup by year.
                            Does this exist still and have you shared it? Very useful

Comment

Working...
                            X