• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fire Breathing Rubber Duckies
    TT Newbie
    • Apr 2020

Thinking of Trading in 2020 G23 on an X24 or Xstar

Hello Everyone,

I currently own a 2020 Super Air Nautique G23. First let me start by saying that I love this boat. Fit and finish inside and out are excellent. The wakeboard wake is amazing and the wakesurf wake has tons of push. The only gripe I really have to be honest is the ability to customize the wakesurf wave. I had always been a wakeboard first guy but as I've gotten older, I find that wakesurfing is far more forgiving on my body and have really gotten into the sport. I have heard the X24 and Xstar wakesurf waves are quite similar. I was wondering if this is true? I prefer the storage on the star (rear lockers are a big deal especially for storing my kid's massive tube) and this is something that can't be matched in regards to the G23. I am also looking into the 2021 G23, as since they've went to the Paragon Hull and changed the NSS, I know it's far more customizable now. Either way, I was just curious what people's thoughts are on the X24 and Star?

If I can't get the right price for my G23 it won't make sense to change boats (regardless of brand) anyhow. At this point I'm just kicking the can down the road. I just added 800lbs of lead, primarily distributing the weight in the mid to front portion of the boat, trying to increase the surface area and lengthen the wave. I'llv be trying this for the first time today. I can't actually believe I'm even complaining about this. The push on the G23 wave is incredible. I also love that it feels very firm. I just rode behind a 2020 Supra and it was a good wave but felt a little soft and the engine noise was pretty bad.

Thank you in advance.
  • WakePowell
    MC Fanatic
    • Oct 2004

The Paragon's and the G25's are better Nautique surf boats as you are probably aware. But neither of those boats wakeboard very well.

Then it come to the Xstar and the X24, they both surf very well but the X24 is not wakeboard friendly.
    2005 X45
    2009 X45
    2018 X46
    2022 XStar-S

Comment

• moosehead
      MC Maniac
      • May 2015

As you know, you already have a tremendous boat. As a primary MC surf family that also has spent considerable time behind G23’s and G21’s, I can confirm you are correct about all the great attributes of the G’s and the customizable and longer wave of the MC’s.

The latest Generation MC XStar and X24’s are outrageously great rigs, make sure you check the search function here for a depth of feedback on both of those boats. FourFourty and Maniacmikes are Team Talk members with the most ride time and ownership of both these boats and their posts are tremendous resources, so I’ll not repeat their feedback here just yet.

Link to my demo surf session on 2019 XStar: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=98797

Lastly, I have become a huge fan of the G boats and this past summer had a surf session on my neighbor’s G23 that was dialed. He only added an 800 lb sack to the surf corner locker and the wave was steep, long, and powerful.

Comment

• Tookeymonster
        MC Devotee
        • Sep 2017

As Moose said FourFourty has some very very lengthy in depth great reviews of the G23 and Xstar.

Both are beautiful boats I have been on a 2016 and 2019 G23 as well as the X22. You probably wont want to consider the x22 due to storage from your post. I will say the X series boats have way more customization and as far as both boats stock wave no extra weight I think even the x22 wave is better with more push for us big guys. Hands down the X boats Kids, Beginner, and intermediate wake boarding wake hands down beats the G23. As fare as Pro level wake boarding wake I can only say both brands are scary and have broken back for me written all over them. X boats have easier access to surf sleeves on Bimini. X boats have a drier ride and better heater than the G for those early and late season outings. Bow rise is a bit more on the X vs the G, my wife is short and she almost doesn't need the bolster seat when she is driving in surf mode. The G boat interior is pretty and very well made, but not as ergonomic and as comfortable as the MC. G boats take the win for the walk through transom, you do loose a seat but you still have so many other seating options it doesn't matter.

I would say just spend some time in the new Xstar and x24 wright out all the Pros and Cons of them along with the G. Also write out all the things your family uses likes and loves and doesn't like and figure out witch one your whole family will be most happy with. You want to make sure mama bear is going to love it and the kids are going to be happy, because if they are not you will not be.

Comment

TT Newbie
          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by moosehead View Post
          As you know, you already have a tremendous boat. As a primary MC surf family that also has spent considerable time behind G23’s and G21’s, I can confirm you are correct about all the great attributes of the G’s and the customizable and longer wave of the MC’s.

The latest Generation MC XStar and X24’s are outrageously great rigs, make sure you check the search function here for a depth of feedback on both of those boats. FourFourty and Maniacmikes are Team Talk members with the most ride time and ownership of both these boats and their posts are tremendous resources, so I’ll not repeat their feedback here just yet.

Link to my demo surf session on 2019 XStar: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=98797

Lastly, I have become a huge fan of the G boats and this past summer had a surf session on my neighbor’s G23 that was dialed. He only added an 800 lb sack to the surf corner locker and the wave was steep, long, and powerful.
          I actually put 800lbs of lead in my G yesterday and wow what a difference (the lead took over a month to arrive thanks to good old USPS but that’s a story for another day). We had two people on the boat that have been struggling to drop the rope and go for any longer than a few seconds and not only did they drop it, they went for several minutes. My wife, who is pretty good, was carving farther out away from the wave and dropping deeper into the curl than she ever has! Every one of them talked about how much better it was. For my purposes it was significantly better! More push farther back is what I noticed more than anything. Just wish we didn’t need the extra lead, as we can’t drain it and it’s too expensive to just toss overboard.

We would miss the rear lockers in the G, which is why the star intrigues me. But more than anything I just want the right surf boat. I do know the 2021 G23, which uses the Paragon Hull, has significantly more adjustability in regards to the wave and from everything I’ve read and have been told by people who’ve already managed to get behind one, it’s a significant upgrade. I prefer the lack of bow rise on the G, but this comes at the price of spray over the bow with any kind of wind chop. The X series rides with the bow higher but when we demoed the X22 several months ago, it wasn’t insurmountable and I suspect the 24 would ride a little lower from what I’ve read. Either way, waiting on a quote for the 24 and trying to find one close by to get behind and surf sooner rather than later (my dealer doesn’t have any in).

Comment

• maniacmikes
            MC Devotee
            • May 2014

If you are coming from a G23, and you wakeboard, and you love the wakeboard wake of the G23...there is a good chance that you will not like the wakeboard wake of the Xstar.

Not saying it’s any better or any worse- it’s just different. I happen to think it’s different in a good way, but depending on how you ride and what you like, you could easily feel differently.

I don’t think there is any comparison in surf waves. I ride surf style and the steep G wave doesn’t bother me at all... but it’s just not even close to as good as the X series boats.

the adjustability of the X series is great, you can compensate for where people sit, fuel usage, rider preferences, etc. but keep in mind that means there is one more variable to adjust - so there is a learning curve. Stock settings are pretty “safe”...I liken it to having traction control and all the safety stuff turned on in a sports car- it keeps people from getting into trouble- but, if you want to really unleash the performance you want to turn off all that stuff. Similarly, you need to be willing to venture away from stock settings and make adjustments as the driver to maximize wave performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

Comment

TT Newbie
              • Apr 2020

Thank you for the all the information. In terms of an update, I sold my 2020 G23 for considerably more than I bought it for, after putting 80 hours on it from June through August. Hard to argue with that. While I've nearly decided on the 2021 G23, I am going to demo the X24, as well as the Supra SL450 this week. I rode behind an SE550 recently and was extremely impressed with the length and adjustability of the wave. Not to mention, it really is a beautiful boat. If they are all relatively even I will stick with the G23 because my dealer is incredible. In terms of my closest Mastercraft dealer I'm going to travel an extra hour to use someone else. My closest dealer (a little over an hour away) really burned a bridge with me. They bloated the cost of the X24, which I suspected and confirmed when I had someone else look over the build sheet and couldn't believe the markup they were charging me. Not to mention the salesman (classic used car approach) was very arrogant and unwilling to listen to me or make any adjustments on the price. The other Mastercraft dealer is lights out more knowledgable and straightforward, which I appreciate. I do feel like I owe the Supra an opportunity, as I was truly impressed with the wave and design of the boat. My biggest holdup on the Supra is the engine. Nothing really compares to Ilmor or PCM in my opinion. The Indmar Raptor makes me nervous.

Comment

• FourFourty
                MC Maniac
                • Nov 2010

If you thought the Supra SE wave was great...….. You'll be in for a nice treat with the X24.

Although, in saying that, I can definitely say the SE has a good starboard/goofy wave. Not quite as good as the X24, but pretty darn good. The Port/regular wave however, is another story, and isn't even close to as good as the X24.

Good luck with your search!

Comment

• stuartjr
                  TT Enthusiast
                  • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Fire Breathing Rubber Duckies View Post
                  If they are all relatively even I will stick with the G23 because my dealer is incredible.
                  If you are happy with the G23 I would stick with it for the reason above. In my opinion the dealer makes a big difference. All of these boats will have issues at some point and having a rock solid dealer make the experience tolerable.

Comment

TT Newbie
                    • Apr 2020

Originally posted by stuartjr View Post
                    If you are happy with the G23 I would stick with it for the reason above. In my opinion the dealer makes a big difference. All of these boats will have issues at some point and having a rock solid dealer make the experience tolerable.
                    At this juncture I will more than likely go in the G23 direction. But before I spend all this money again, I want to be certain the wave is exactly what I’m looking for.

Comment

Working...
                    X