Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 11-19-2020, 10:24 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarCraft1991 View Post
A reply from the famous Waterlogged! I’m moving up in the world!

That is wild. What is jury-rigged about the cross pieces? I don’t know what they’re supposed to look like! And I guess I don’t even know what the proper trailer would feel like—I used it all summer and the previous owner did for 25 years, haha. Wonder how the switch happened...and now I guess I know why the bunks are stacked an extra two inches higher.

I didn’t know I was linking them. When I do this on my phone I’m just pressing the photo icon and adding them. Didn’t know there was another way to go.
All of the add-ons on that trailer are not OEM. My guess is that those got there because your 190 is too big to fit the trailer without rubbing in the wrong places. The bunks are stacked just as you suspect...wrong boat for this trailer.

I have seen similar pads and setup on older trailers but the point here is as aforementioned.

Name:  Trailer Pads.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  109.1 KB

Here is a fender rub because the 190 is too wide.

Name:  Trailer rub.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  56.3 KB

Here is an OEM 19Skier trailer. (photo credit to owner)

Name:  Trailer06.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  119.5 KB

Here is the Prostar 190 trailer. Sorry it is not a better photo but I took it when I dropped the boat in. You can see the larger size of this 190 trailer, tubular frame (not the C-channel frame as is the 19Skier), etc.

Name:  Trailer 190.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  121.6 KB

That 19Skier trailer is not a junk yard item. People are looking for those so don't go and dump it somewhere. But now you should find the proper trailer. They are hard to come buy, used.

Or not...If you have had good luck for X number of years, so be it. Keep on trailering.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy reading and looking at other boats, etc.

2 Peter 1:3–8
Old 11-19-2020, 10:47 PM
MC Master Poster

Here's another perspective of each era boat / trailer

1985 19Skier

Name:  Trailer 85 Skier.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  105.5 KB

1993 Prostar 190

Name:  Trailer 190 SC.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  113.3 KB

Old 11-19-2020, 11:19 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Have almost finished the wheel in time to get the trailer back from the fiberglass shop. Hope I don’t get nailed by purists for changing to light gray to match the seats! Thanks to tips on here I went to Domed Numbers for the decal!
I really like that steering wheel. Is that OEM for the 91 year model? I do not recall that style for the 91 but....

The 93 OEM is a little less attractive for me. I finally swapped mine out for a different look.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:34 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Pro Star 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
I really like that steering wheel. Is that OEM for the 91 year model? I do not recall that style for the 91 but....

You upgraded yet another “hey I got a new-to-me boat, watch me get new seats!” thread into a forensic lesson on trailers—fascinating to read!

BUT of course you’ll have to wait for others to answer your steering wheel question haha. If I didn’t know I had the wrong TRAILER I’m clearly not your guy haha, all I know is it’s what was on there when I got it!

But while I have your attention, what’s the best rehab for the fenders? I’ve looked at threads on here but don’t see specifics beyond painting. I figure I sand down whatever adhesive (pretty solid, hello 5200?) they used to attach the wheel well carpet, redo that, but you think the chalky gelcoat over the fiberglass can be brought back with compound and gelcoat wax? Or is it not as easily done as the hulls are because it’s lower quality? I didn’t want to rattle-can it.

And there are spider cracks all over the fenders but I don’t see them showing underneath—do I need to worry about a coming MAJOR crack with every step up?
Old 11-19-2020, 11:57 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
You upgraded yet another “hey I got a new-to-me boat, watch me get new seats!” thread into a forensic lesson on trailers—fascinating to read!

Enjoy the boat. That is all that counts...that and do not put your expenses on an Excel sheet.

BUT of course you’ll have to wait for others to answer your steering wheel question haha. If I didn’t know I had the wrong TRAILER I’m clearly not your guy haha, all I know is it’s what was on there when I got it!

All good.

But while I have your attention, what’s the best rehab for the fenders? I’ve looked at threads on here but don’t see specifics beyond painting.

There is one thread that comes to mind but I cannot find the link (I have a ton bookmarked). I'll keep looking but you are on the right track.

I figure I sand down whatever adhesive (pretty solid, hello 5200?) they used to attach the wheel well carpet, redo that, but you think the chalky gelcoat over the fiberglass can be brought back with compound and gelcoat wax?

Wet sand the fenders with a light grit, say 1200, but you be the judge of that to get a slight cut into the oxidized material, then go to 2000, then a rubbing compound (less grit), then wax it out. I have seen that work for several here. Your mileage may vary.

Or is it not as easily done as the hulls are because it’s lower quality? I didn’t want to rattle-can it.

Last resort (due to the degree of wear and tear) is to paint the fenders but give it a try in a small area and I think you will see it come to life.

And there are spider cracks all over the fenders but I don’t see them showing underneath—do I need to worry about a coming MAJOR crack with every step up?

No Sir. Nothing major has ever come of a spider run as far as I have ever seen or heard tell of.

Best on the new to you machine. The fun part is working and learning. Keep up the good work and do not hesitate to ask a question. There are a lot of people here that are knowledgeable to a lot of things to assist.

Read through this thread for maybe a nugget of information on what may ring a bell for your project.

Here
is another thread.

Here is another thread.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 11-20-2020 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 PS 205-285HO
Enjoy the boat. That is all that counts...that and do not put your expenses on an Excel sheet.

This^^^is the best advice you'll receive I've owned a pristine '89 PS190 and a few years ago moved to a '92 PS205. The 205 was a one-owner, dealer serviced, totally stock boat that, as I told my wife "NEEDED NOTHING" I've easily spent equal to the price of the boat in upgrades, preventive maintenace (some was maybe not needed but satisfied my MCOCD), etc.

However - it has one of the best ski wakes MC ever produced, I ski behind an '03 Response LXi and it does have an equally good wake, but doesn't handle or drive as good as my MC. I've also skied behind '19 Prostars and Nautiques and they do have a slighty better wake. But I don't worry about turning the key and I don't have a display on the LCD screen or have to read engine codes. Bottom line - you've got a great boat and in my opinion as good as MasterCrafts of the late '80s/early 90's are the trailers were not equal in quality to the boats. I've always said my trailer is more maintenance than my boat.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
what’s the best rehab for the fenders?
My '92 had carpet glued on the inner surface of the fenders, looked just like yours. I always wondered why, because the boat hull never touched the fenders. I ripped off the carpet by hand (easy job), then used a dull putty knife to scrape off any remaining glue (easy job). I then used mineral spirits to clean off any residual (you guessed it, an easy job).

Last edited by Miss Rita; 11-20-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:50 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Pro Star 190
Thanks all! Yeah I love this boat already—I know the new ones are nice, but like new cars, just not designed to be as fun and easy to work on yourself.

The Excel Rule is fantastic. But having been the custodian of a 60-year-old car in the family since it was new, I know ALL about sinking money into a project you’ll never see a [financial] return on. I expect this will be the same, you’re paid back in FUN.

And thank you Miss Rita—but as I found out from the above—I DO need that carpet...because the boat DOES hit it since it’s on the wrong trailer!

Speaking of the trailer—spent all afternoon on it. This was after the first couple coats. LOTS of spaces to cover. (And I’m glad I learned what MCOCD is, because I’ve got it, and yes I will be putting more coats on what will be hidden beneath the fenders!) I would’ve liked a darker gray but the marine paint I wanted didn’t offer it. Name:  IMG_2031.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  28.4 KB
Old 11-21-2020, 09:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Thanks all! Yeah I love this boat already—I know the new ones are nice, but like new cars, just not designed to be as fun and easy to work on yourself.

The Excel Rule is fantastic. But having been the custodian of a 60-year-old car in the family since it was new, I know ALL about sinking money into a project you’ll never see a [financial] return on. I expect this will be the same, you’re paid back in FUN.

And thank you Miss Rita—but as I found out from the above—I DO need that carpet...because the boat DOES hit it since it’s on the wrong trailer!

Speaking of the trailer—spent all afternoon on it. This was after the first couple coats. LOTS of spaces to cover. (And I’m glad I learned what MCOCD is, because I’ve got it, and yes I will be putting more coats on what will be hidden beneath the fenders!) I would’ve liked a darker gray but the marine paint I wanted didn’t offer it. Attachment 200540
Here's a thought; refurbish that trailer with selling in mind. They will sell for that era. Keep an eye out for the 190 trailer. I do see one every so often come up for sale. Long shot but a thought.

A new one from Boat Mate will run you about $5k.

Your 91 falls in the era of year make 1991-1994, all with the same hull design. A few different engine and interior options and changes but this year make range is a good hull for slalom.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Just refurbed mine... brake backing plates ready for spring install. Levitated boat... to get it done. Lots of good steel if trailer not dunked in brackish or salt water..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk