Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-18-2020, 09:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
Thanks all. Tried the new air hammer today and all four eventually came loose after a bit of hammering. More PB blaster and cleaning up threads, then it's on to aligning the engine. Good times.
Good for you. Always a good feeling to make progress.

Just for the sake of conversation, here's a mount that the trunions and washer were seized beyond recovery. I tried it all. It twisted the rubber out of the seized hub with no other hope of salvaging.

Remedy: replacement.

Attached Images

2 Peter 1:38

Last edited by waterlogged882; 11-18-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Great thread

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2020, 03:02 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 X-2 MCX 5.7L
While I can now control vertical movement of the engine, I suspect my next problem is horizontal movement. The reason I am here is that the prop shaft was rubbing against the shaft log at 5 o'clock. I removed the strut and ended up shimming the back side with three .03" stainless steel plates and adjusting the pitch. (I can't see how this ever lined up properly when the boat left the factory). Anyway, the shaft now runs dead center thru the shaft log but now the tranny will need to come up and to the right to line up with the coupling.

Haven't tried to move the transmission sideways yet but looks like this may be a battle given the visible rust on the trunnion bars and pin pulls. Will likely need to make a custom puller to pull the engine in either direction. Though the preference is to remove the tranny mounts and rebuild them (or replace). I think the engine mounts will move to where I need them to go.

Thanks WaterLogged..looks like you had your own share of motor mount misery. How did you end up replacing the mounts? Any ideas on suspending the tranny side while removing the mounts. Looks like the two rear engine mounts do most of the heavy lifting but could be wrong.
Attached Images

Last edited by DeepBlue; 11-19-2020 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 X-2 MCX 5.7L
So I was able to remove my tranny mounts and clean them up. By raising the port mount far enough, the stbd mount carries no weight and can be removed. I took the port mount off first, disassembled it, cleaned it up with a drill/wire brush and coated the trunnion bars and threads with anti-seize. Also spray painted the mounts. This morning assembled the whole thing and put it back in the boat. Raised it and removed the stbd mount. Also took a lot at the rubber bushings and they seemed to be holding up ok. I'll most likely replace them in 3 yrs.
After adjusting the tranny mounts, the coupler had a small gap on one side. Ended up building a puller to pull the back of the engine side to side (same bar I used to pop out the shaft from the coupler). Engine all aligned - test drive next week.
Attached Images

Last edited by DeepBlue; 11-22-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:36 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
So I was able to remove my tranny mounts and clean them up. By raising the port mount far enough, the stbd mount carries no weight and can be removed. I took the port mount off first, disassembled it, cleaned it up with a drill/wire brush and coated the trunnion bars and threads with never seize. Also spray painted the mounts. This morning assembled the whole thing and put it back in the boat. Raised it and removed the stbd mount. Also took a lot at the rubber bushings and they seemed to be holding up ok. I'll most likely replace them in 3 yrs.
After adjusting the tranny mounts, the coupler had a small gap on one side. Ended up building a puller to pull the back of the engine side to side (same bar I used to pop out the shaft from the coupler). Engine all aligned - test drive next week.
You are officially addicted.

Good job on the engine mounts.

2 Peter 1:38
Old 11-21-2020, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Awesome job!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2020, 11:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190