Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 01-05-2020, 02:57 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x45
X55 audio questions

I have a 2014 x55 that Iím looking to make some small audio upgrades to. I currently have the stock JL system with 4 7.7 tower speakers and 10Ēib sub. What I need to know is what speakers are behind the mesh grills in the bow? They seemed very low volume this past year when I isolated them. I have picked up a pair of the 8.8 tower speakers and plan on swapping out the outer pair. I also would like to get some real bass in the boat. So, there are limited spots to install additional sub, I have the fridge so only place I can see as reasonable spot is next to the existing sub. Iím thinking to leave the ib and install a boxed ported 10Ē next to it. I would swap that out and build a box but there is a drawer storage behind itís location limiting what can be done. I will be adding an additional 600/6 or 800/8 so I can send more power to the tower speakers giving each one 200watts. I may need to dial back the power to the 7.7ís. Anyone done any modest audio upgrades similar? Thanks for any feedback
Old 01-07-2020, 02:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
You have M770s in the cabin as well as the tower.
Aim for around 100-125w RMS on the 770 and 150-200w RMS on the M880s.
Factory sub is under powered and 250w RMS will really wake it up. You can add another 10ib sub to the bow for more bass or look at getting a box to go under the observer seat.

I would sell all four m770 towers and see how to like just one set of M880s.

Tags
jl880, subwoofer, x55