Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 03-21-2020, 05:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
New Interior 89 PS 190 - Just sharing

Finished this project early last year (2019), but never had time to share a post with you all. With the Covid 19 pandemic, I am trying to catch up on the fun stuff I'm generally not able to so with so many other competing priorities. Anyway, I've owned this gem since 1994 and its always been stored indoors so the original interior lasted well longer than it should have. It did look pretty tired for the past 10 years, so I finally got tired of looking at it and got started.

I removed all the existing skins myself (and carpet removal). Skin removal was aided by a good staple remover. Tedious, but really quit simple. I worked on this for a couple of weeks while I decided how to get the new work completed.

Cost: I researched and received quotes from a few local shops (to make and install new upholstery skins & carpet), plus got quotes from Viper & Boat Interiors Designs to make and ship to make & ship new skins (both were in the $2,500 range, more on this method later). Local shops were both expensive and extremely busy (They were friendly enough, but you just got the bad feeling they didn't really need/want your business). I got quotes from 3 local shops offering to do new vinyl and carpet. Shop A was $8000, Shop B was $9,000, Shop C offered to install my purchased skins + new carpet was $5,500 (skins + install + carpet = $8,000).

Although very discouraged that the new interior could end up costing almost the entire boat value, I didn't give in, or give up. I called far and wide and talked with many folks in the industry, and finally found a semi-retired interiors guy in the Central Valley happy to do the entire job for $4,800 out of his home shop.

Quality: The quality ended up a 7+/10, but I am happy with the overall outcome. It's not perfect, but I also acknowledge I didn't pay for perfection. It took him about 5 weeks to get the job done as he worked solo and is basically retired.

Mail order Skins: I opted not to go with sending my skins to Viper (or similar) and having them redone in situ for two reasons: 1) no one has templates for the original so they needed my skins to match and 2) I was really concerned that since my skins are so old, that the vinyl has stretched so much that I would have difficulty getting well formed and crisp lines, even with new foam.

Just wanted to share my experience and photos with the group. I posted a couple of before and after photos as well.

Question for you: any ideas with a reasonable value (with single axle trailer)? I'm just curious. Enjoy - KS Masterraft
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2020, 07:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1990 ProStar 190
Wow that"s a lot of cash.

No before photos but I'll bet it"s a huge improvement . Looks nice.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Looks good. Glad it worked out for you as a home project.

2 Peter 1:3–8
Old 03-21-2020, 09:37 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89MasterRaft View Post
Finished this project early last year (2019), but never had time to share a post with you all. With the Covid 19 pandemic, I am trying to catch up on the fun stuff I'm generally not able to so with so many other competing priorities. Anyway, I've owned this gem since 1994 and its always been stored indoors so the original interior lasted well longer than it should have. It did look pretty tired for the past 10 years, so I finally got tired of looking at it and got started.

I removed all the existing skins myself (and carpet removal). Skin removal was aided by a good staple remover. Tedious, but really quit simple. I worked on this for a couple of weeks while I decided how to get the new work completed.

Cost: I researched and received quotes from a few local shops (to make and install new upholstery skins & carpet), plus got quotes from Viper & Boat Interiors Designs to make and ship to make & ship new skins (both were in the $2,500 range, more on this method later). Local shops were both expensive and extremely busy (They were friendly enough, but you just got the bad feeling they didn't really need/want your business). I got quotes from 3 local shops offering to do new vinyl and carpet. Shop A was $8000, Shop B was $9,000, Shop C offered to install my purchased skins + new carpet was $5,500 (skins + install + carpet = $8,000).

Although very discouraged that the new interior could end up costing almost the entire boat value, I didn't give in, or give up. I called far and wide and talked with many folks in the industry, and finally found a semi-retired interiors guy in the Central Valley happy to do the entire job for $4,800 out of his home shop.

Quality: The quality ended up a 7+/10, but I am happy with the overall outcome. It's not perfect, but I also acknowledge I didn't pay for perfection. It took him about 5 weeks to get the job done as he worked solo and is basically retired.

Mail order Skins: I opted not to go with sending my skins to Viper (or similar) and having them redone in situ for two reasons: 1) no one has templates for the original so they needed my skins to match and 2) I was really concerned that since my skins are so old, that the vinyl has stretched so much that I would have difficulty getting well formed and crisp lines, even with new foam.

Just wanted to share my experience and photos with the group. I posted a couple of before and after photos as well.

Question for you: any ideas with a reasonable value (with single axle trailer)? I'm just curious. Enjoy - KS Masterraft

Where did you get that Captain’s chair? I want to upgrade mine, I have a 98 PS with the original seat but looking for one with a bolster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2020, 07:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMC View Post
No before photos but I'll bet it"s a huge improvement . Looks nice.
The Before photos are last.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:19 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmskiboat View Post
The Before photos are last.
Right! Very good.

So is that a completely different drivers seat? Is it a bit narrower?
Old 03-22-2020, 05:12 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
The driver's seat is the original. I wanted to do a flip up booster, but just never got to it. I'll be sitting on my foot for the foreseeable future. Couple of pics of the original during skin removal.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:35 PM
MC Master Poster

I put a 2" lift kit on my seat and that got me off the floor (felt like it) of the boat. Just enough to change the sitting position and get a better view out front. Bolsters just don't appeal to me because I like sitting in the seat to feel the boat as I drive. The seat lift was the ticket for me (I share), in case you may be looking for a change and not have to have the bolstered seat.

$0.02

Attached Images

Old 03-23-2020, 03:16 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
The seat lift was the ticket for me (I share), in case you may be looking for a change and not have to have the bolstered seat.

$0.02

I really want to to that when I get my boat back this spring. Sitting right on the floor, up against the observers seat, and no tilt wheel really makes it hard to get up and move around. The 1990 should be the same as yours? I do have a fiberglass base that sits on the floor.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMC View Post
...The 1990 should be the same as yours? ...
I venture to say very close if not identical.

An easy modification. I have more photos and details if you want to ask about the mod.

Tags
89 prostar 190, interior