Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-27-2020, 10:58 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Maristar, 210VR, 2000, 5.7 L, Perfect Pass Stargazer Wake, Waketower, 350 lbs bags each side (more ordered), Suck Gate,
Ignition key switch broken connection

Check engine was blaring. On key turn without starting. I checked back of ignition and found a broken brass clip at the 5 o’clock position if viewing under dash facing the engine. 7 o’clock position if viewed from the drivers seat.

Can I just swap this ignition switch out for a new one with new keys? I have one original Mastercraft key.

Or should I try and replace that brass clip and work with existing ignition? Rest of ignition clips have some good corrosion in process (not a saltwater boat)
Old 05-27-2020, 11:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Replace the ignition switch. Ten minute job and not an expensive part.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:52 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Married2Maristar View Post
Check engine was blaring. On key turn without starting. I checked back of ignition and found a broken brass clip at the 5 o’clock position if viewing under dash facing the engine. 7 o’clock position if viewed from the drivers seat.

Can I just swap this ignition switch out for a new one with new keys? I have one original Mastercraft key.

Or should I try and replace that brass clip and work with existing ignition? Rest of ignition clips have some good corrosion in process (not a saltwater boat)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
Replace the ignition switch. Ten minute job and not an expensive part.
TR is spot on.

However as a reminder; disconnect the battery before you begin the work. There are hot leads involved and the close quarters makes it easy to short circuit with the inadvertent touch of a screw driver.

A suggestion for the switch; look on Water Skis dot com for a decent switch. I like to use part number 502209. Your mileage may vary.

US$0.02

2 Peter 1:3–8
Old 05-28-2020, 12:01 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
If you don't think you need it for security you can also get switches that don't have keys, just a fixed knob with clear position indicators. They're really nice if you say have a lift you chain, or a trailer you lock etc. Since boats are so tremendously easy to replace the switch or hotwire the only sort of theft they'd really deter would be someone say joy riding your boat from a marina.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Maristar, 210VR, 2000, 5.7 L, Perfect Pass Stargazer Wake, Waketower, 350 lbs bags each side (more ordered), Suck Gate,
Thanks I love these responses. From my time under the dash I thought it’s probably just a swap but then I started to 2nd guess thinking maybe these ignition switches are keyed or programmed like my seadoo. I’ll order a switch and I potentially like the idea of a Knob. Sure beats turning back to the house for keys. Though an identical swap might be an easier swap.

Thanks Table Rocker, 88 PS190, and waterlogged882