• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KMS
    TT Enthusiast
    • Aug 2016

Cleaning and Waterproofing boat cover

Hey guys,

Not sure what the best way to go about this is. I have a very thick custom Sunbrella cover that goes over the tower and provides a very steep angle so no water ever pools on the cover...ever.

This past spring when I went to uncover the boat for the season, there was a fair bit of water inside the boat. Carpet was soaked and center ski locker was full with about a foot of water. There are no rips, tears or splitting seams. The cover is in really great shape and is 4 years old.

Do these things need to get re-waterproofed occasionally? I’m guessing they do.
    It’s also pretty dirty. So, I’d like to clean it and waterproof it. Does anyone have any suggestions about the best way to do this and what to use?

Thanks
  • LostDriver669
    MC Fanatic
    • Feb 2019

Laundromat and 303 Fabric guard gallon size.

Comment

• JohnE
      Super Moderator
      • Jan 2006

^^ This ^^ You can probably spray it on with a gallon pump sprayer.

The definitely need to be re-waterproofed. I'm surprised you had that much water in the boat, though.
      Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

• Bwag1961
        TT Regular
        • Jan 2015

Oxiclean in the tub or washer. I prefer soaking in tub for 24 hours then 303 fabric guard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        “A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money.”.....but it's a lot of fun!!

Comment

• bturner2
          MC Addict
          • Mar 2008

If you store your boat inside then probably no. If outside then the answer is yes, it really helps to extend the life and performance of the cover. I used to re-waterproof every other year although with this last cover I started doing it every season. The difference is really incredible.

Depending on the size of the cover and how dirty it is the laundromat is king. I have a smaller boat these days with a waterline cover and use the 303 multi surface cleaner in a garden sprayer and a soft brush on a pole to quickly scrub the cover then quickly rise with water. This stuff basically dissolves the dirt with the spray alone so I really only focus on the really soiled area with the brush. I let the cover dry then soak it down with the 303 fabric guard applied with the same rinsed out garden sprayer. This stuff drys quickly. All in I would say I have about 45 minutes into the cover cleaning and waterproofing per season which I've made one of my winterization items on the check list.

I used to do the laundromat with the cover from my X2 as it was much larger and harder to get stretched out. If you go this route I would recommend washing on the most delicate cycle they have for those big machines and use something like mild Downy as the idea here is to clean but not strip the fabric of any waterproofing. If you have stained areas work on them first before throwing the cover in the wash. At least this is what I did with the last cover and it was 8 seasons old when I sold the boat and still in good condition.

Comment

• tmacx2
            TT Enthusiast
            • Sep 2011

I never thought about using 303, which is a great idea. I cleaned mine in the driveway using laundry detergent, a clean broom and a hose. After it dried I used starbrite water proofing on it. Worked well.

Comment

• mike koen
              MC Fanatic
              • May 2015

I stretch it out over the clothes line and wash with laundry detergent . Then 303 .
              If she don't shine , she ain't mine

Comment

• KMS
                TT Enthusiast
                • Aug 2016

Here’s a pic of the cover when new. As you can see, it’s very tall and it’s also super thick. What I’m getting at is...it’s huge even when folded up and I don’t think this thing is getting in any washing machine. I’m assuming the people that have mentioned doing it on the driveway, means laid out on a clean driveway and scrub with a soft brush?

Can I waterproof it on the boat, or do you not want to get the 303 on anything other than the cover. I like the idea of waterproofing it on the boat because it will spread out the cover and make it easy to make sure everything gets sprayed properly.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1FD8C9DD-B604-4033-A55B-E3BE481D08EB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	2408753

Comment

• Miss Rita
                  MC Devotee
                  • Jul 2009

I've used both 303 and Starbrite waterproofing. The Starbrite is about $10/gallon cheaper and works just as well IMO. Use a one gallon garden sprayer, it's easy.

Comment

• LostDriver669
                    MC Fanatic
                    • Feb 2019

Grab the 303 from here. They run a 25% off every few weeks. Have one running right now until tomorrow. I grab all my detailing supplies from them.

Comment

• tmacx2
                      TT Enthusiast
                      • Sep 2011

<I’m assuming the people that have mentioned doing it on the driveway, means laid out on a clean driveway and scrub with a soft brush?>

Yes.

Comment

• Tookeymonster
                        MC Devotee
                        • Sep 2017

I would first contact the people who made the cover as this should not happen.

Comment

• bturner2
                          MC Addict
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by KMS View Post
                          Here’s a pic of the cover when new. As you can see, it’s very tall and it’s also super thick. What I’m getting at is...it’s huge even when folded up and I don’t think this thing is getting in any washing machine. I’m assuming the people that have mentioned doing it on the driveway, means laid out on a clean driveway and scrub with a soft brush?

Can I waterproof it on the boat, or do you not want to get the 303 on anything other than the cover. I like the idea of waterproofing it on the boat because it will spread out the cover and make it easy to make sure everything gets sprayed properly.

Thanks for all the ideas.

[ATTACH]200741[/ATTACH]
                          If the driveway is cement and clean that will work. If you use the 303 stuff they warn about it getting on anything else. I personally would not do it on the boat or get any waterproofer on the vinyl. Wait until you smell that stuff and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Comment

• Mastar
                            TT Enthusiast
                            • Aug 2016

I use a 55 gallon trash can and oxyclean in the fall and clean all my jackets, ropes, cover and whatever else I can find. Wash in the can then rinse with the hose and air dry. You might be better off with a large kiddie pool with that big thing.
                            2014 x46

Comment

• Wakejunkie
                              MC Fanatic
                              • Apr 2019

Originally posted by LostDriver669 View Post
                              Grab the 303 from here. They run a 25% off every few weeks. Have one running right now until tomorrow. I grab all my detailing supplies from them.

No link in your post

Comment

Working...
                              X