Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 10-08-2019, 06:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft Prostar 190
rudder shave - top, bottom, middle?

I need to shave the rudder on my '93 prostar (just got it this year and still fine tuning for course skiing). I know it needs to be shaved on the right "trailing edge" but our other boats came this way and I did not look at the last one before we sold it to see how much and where. I am wondering at what height on the rudder? Does anyone have any picks?
Old 10-08-2019, 06:49 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by waternuts View Post
I need to shave the rudder on my '93 prostar (just got it this year and still fine tuning for course skiing). I know it needs to be shaved on the right "trailing edge" but our other boats came this way and I did not look at the last one before we sold it to see how much and where. I am wondering at what height on the rudder? Does anyone have any picks?
What makes you think it needs shaving? Who told you that?

2 Peter 1:38
Old 10-08-2019, 07:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 S&S, 2001 19 Skier
Yes, right trailing edge if you want to have a "loaded" rudder for course skiing. I would shave the full length of the trailing edge. Just take off a little and go drive/ski it. Repeat as required until you get the feel you're looking for. Mine is just slightly tuned for the course, but not so much that you're fighting it just cruising around the lake. I probably went through four iterations until I got it the way I wanted it. Better too little than too much as you go.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStar Slalom View Post
Yes, right trailing edge if you want to have a "loaded" rudder for course skiing. I would shave the full length of the trailing edge. Just take off a little and go drive/ski it. Repeat as required until you get the feel you're looking for. Mine is just slightly tuned for the course, but not so much that you're fighting it just cruising around the lake. I probably went through four iterations until I got it the way I wanted it. Better too little than too much as you go.
This....

It doesn't take much.

2 Peter 1:38
Old 10-08-2019, 08:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '96 PS190 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStar Slalom View Post

All good advice.
I shaved mine a few times until it was almost neutral.
Left a little bias so Im not chasing it with an aggressive skier in tow.
I also think that the rudder being offset has some effect.
Go with small increments for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2019, 10:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar 190, 1993, Anniversary Limited.
I shaved one (my 92) to fit the wife for neutral feel while she was driving and it was a little sloppy in the course.

"It doesn't take much" is absolutely correct.

It should have a little shaved on the right side, as most come with a little right turn from the factory.
1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17
Old 10-14-2019, 05:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Always always always balance the boat before shaving the rudder.

First with the boat does it steer nicely to both sides or does it really fight to turn left? Is the cable fresh?

Then you need your normal spotter/boat crew and skiers and you want to see what the boat is like with weight moved. I used to always have trouble because my wife would want to sit sort of centered on the seat which means I needed about another 60 lbs under the spotter to get a good level boat, which if its leaned towards the driver your tuning is gonna be off.