Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 01-16-2021, 12:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2019 X22, '18 NXT22, '06 X30
I wait and do my when I summarize it.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PROSTAR 190
I change mine every spring. I have been told that even new impellers can break. Cheap insurance
Old 01-18-2021, 03:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoman View Post
Bought the boat during the winter. It was winterized in the fall without impeller change. Is there any reason I can't change the impeller now while the boat is winterized? Opening the pump won't allow antifreeze to drain out or anything like that, right?
Yes, if it's filled w/AF, it will partially drain out (experience). As everybody else has suggested, do it in spring.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
it's to d*(n cold now... just go out and give it a nice big hug... and talk to it a little bit, then it will be happy for a month or so.. then go out with the vacuum and give it another hug... and so on.. soon it will be spring... well hopefully...
Old 01-27-2021, 04:01 PM
MC Addict

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurosysytem0 View Post
I bow to your evidently superior but sarcastic knowledge. A joy!
No, just saying it doesnít matter. Old wives tale or more likely a real issue in decades gone by. Like I said, I thought it was a real concern for a few years then realized itís not.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 01-27-2021, 04:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Prostar 205V
What's needed is a way to measure how much water the pump is pumping, this is ultimately all that matters. If it pumps out a 5 gallon bucket in 10 seconds with a brand new impeller, you can re-measure it each year and if it takes, say 20 seconds, change the impeller. You'd have to have a 'Y' set up on your water intake hose, though, and the only ones I've seen are those plastic things that I would not put on my boat. I don't want a plastic Y connector breaking in the middle of the lake and sinking my boat.