Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-23-2019, 03:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft 1982 351 Powerslot Stars and Stripes
82 ballast resistor

Should there be a wire from the solenoid to the coil side of the resistor to boost coil voltage while cranking? There doesn't seem to be one on my MC. Or is there another wire in the harness that normally does this. The reason I ask is I'm having start issues and the coil voltage is low while cranking. Every other engine I've had that has a ballast resistor has the jumper from the solenoid. If there's another source for the power I'll need to chase that wire down.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:38 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_shoemaker View Post
Should there be a wire from the solenoid to the coil side of the resistor to boost coil voltage while cranking?

No

There doesn't seem to be one on my MC.

Or is there another wire in the harness that normally does this.

Positive side of the coil to the ballast resistor (purple wire), then the other post on the resistor (still purple) goes to the ignition switch (through the harness).

The reason I ask is I'm having start issues and the coil voltage is low while cranking.

82 OEM coil is dying (or weak output from a battery). Get yourself a Pertronix Flamethrower II 0.6 ohm epoxy-flled coil. With the new coil get the electronic ignition conversion kit. Once that is installed then by-pass the resistor (remove or use a jumper wire between the two posts). With the EI, the purple also goes from the distributor to the positive side of the coil.

Every other engine I've had that has a ballast resistor has the jumper from the solenoid.

Resistor does not come into play at all with the solenoid

If there's another source for the power I'll need to chase that wire down.

What power are you referring?
If you're still using points, I recommend converting to EI. Your call.

$0.02

Old 07-23-2019, 04:47 PM
TT Regular

In other ballast resistor equipped engines I've worked on there's a wire directly from the 'I' post on the solenoid to the coil side of the resistor to provide a full 12V to the coil while cranking to make for easier starts.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=30255

I've debated with myself about an electronic ignition upgrade, but haven't pulled the trigger.

James
Old 07-23-2019, 04:52 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_shoemaker View Post
In other ballast resistor equipped engines I've worked on there's a wire directly from the 'I' post on the solenoid to the coil side of the resistor to provide a full 12V to the coil while cranking to make for easier starts.

OK...I got nothing except the advice from experience on Mastercrafts. I am a GMC driver otherwise..

I've debated with myself about an electronic ignition upgrade, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Debate as long as you like points..... Your call. It's well worth the upgrade. Nothing I hate worse than getting stuck on the lake.

James
Best luck.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:06 PM
TT Regular

My worry with the electronic conversion is electronic failure, with points I can make it work (I made it to shore on the current issue by bypassing the resistor for start, then disconnecting the bypass). if the electronic module fails I'm screwed. Getting 'stuck on the lake' is the exact reason I'm debating about adding electronic ignition.

I will get a replacement coil ordered as that makes sense.

Chevy 350's have a similar bypass on their ballast resistors, though on a Chevy it's the 'R' terminal if I remember correctly.