Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 11-06-2019, 08:44 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar, 2002, ?
2002 Maristar 230 trailer project

Good morning,
Brand new to the forum here....last Mastercraft was a 1983 Stars and Stripes, but sold it to do the parent thing 25 years ago - happy i did. FF to this past week, and i bought a "well-worn" 2002 Maristar 230 SV that is in need of lots and lots of work. A good place to start is the non-OEM trailer. Very nice aluminum I-Beam tandem, but not currently fitted for the boat. I need to fix this before i do much moving around. I will post pics later, but wanted to go ahead and get this post out there.
My rear bunk rails, which are massive 4x10 carpet-covered hardwood, are about 71" apart, and i think they need to be about 54" to properly fit the boat.
Would someone with a similar boat and proper trailer be so kind as to provide measurements of their bunks so i can begin to figure out how to properly set this trailer?
Also, what are thoughts about jacking up the rear of boat with a floor jack so i can do this without heading to the lake? I hear mixed thoughts about the potential of compromising the gelcoat and/or fiberglass structure. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

Again, pics will come as soon as i figure out how to attach them.

Thank you very much in advance.
David in SC
Old 11-06-2019, 09:21 AM
TT Newbie

Rear picture attached, showing bunks and how they do not match the chines.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2019, 02:45 PM
TT Newbie

Oh yes, the boat is also obviously not centered on the trailer.....another reason i would like to jack it up in the driveway and shift it around a bit.....if it is safe to do it without hurting the gelcoat.
Also included is a pic of the trailer/boat from the side. I intend to move boat forward on the trailer about 4-6" and see what that does to the tongue weight. First, i have to measure it out. Anything to help make this "package" a little shorter will help; i went looking for a Maristar 210, but could not pass up when this one came available.

All advice is much appreciated.
David in SC
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2019, 03:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
I have the same hull. Kinda busy during the week, but will try to take a few photos and measurements over the weekend if no one has replied by then.
G
Old 11-06-2019, 09:37 PM
TT Newbie

Much appreciated Gweaver. I will look forward to the info, as a safe trailer is mandatory for me. Disregard the original numbers I posted for center of bunks, not sure where they came from. I look forward to learning how a real MC trailer is set up. One more thing; do I need a rear strap? I never had one with my '83 S&S, but it seems most boats I see now have them.

Thank you
Old 11-07-2019, 09:28 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 200VRS / 2000 230VRS
I have a 2000 230 VRS.

Centerline of the axles is 75 inches forward of the transom (down by the chine). This gives me approximately 350 lbs on the hitch with a 5100 lb loaded trailer weight

Rear bunks start at the back end of the trailer, 46" apart on the outside.

Front bunks start 48" forward of that, 26" on the outside.

All bunks are 2x4x8' with the 4" face up.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-08-2019, 05:46 AM
TT Newbie

Great info AveryM - thank you very much. Happy Friday!