Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 06-16-2020, 10:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 Crownline 230 LS; 2015 X-30
Bimini surf sleeves

Was curious about aftermarket Bimini surf sleeves, see that Ronix makes one that doubles as a travel bag, MC parts depot also makes one. Does anyone have experience/feedback on either, specifically how they do at cruising speeds? Thanks
Old 06-16-2020, 11:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X25
I have the Mastercraft one on my boat, we donít even notice it up there, regardless of the speed. It rolls right up with the bimini into boot when we put it away. It is one of the best simple upgrades I have made to the boat.

It holds the boards securely, and gets them out of the boat, and they are super easy to get to when youíre ready to ride. Although removing it would be simple, it never comes off the boat, and we forget itís there.

óSky
Old 06-17-2020, 11:00 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 X-25
I purchased the Ronix bimini sleeve over the offseason. I've only threw it up there for a few days over Memorial Day, but haven't had any issues. Was able to fit 3 surf boards and a knee board. I was concerned about how it would hold up at speed (especially as we can have some pretty serious wind where we are), but no issues at all. Stayed fixed without any bad vibration. Really easy to get the boards in and out and it frees up a ton of space. Not sure how well it will hold up if you plan on leaving it up on the bimini for the season.... but it isn't hard to put it on and off when needed.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:36 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 x30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMC View Post
I purchased the Ronix bimini sleeve over the offseason. I've only threw it up there for a few days over Memorial Day, but haven't had any issues. Was able to fit 3 surf boards and a knee board. I was concerned about how it would hold up at speed (especially as we can have some pretty serious wind where we are), but no issues at all. Stayed fixed without any bad vibration. Really easy to get the boards in and out and it frees up a ton of space. Not sure how well it will hold up if you plan on leaving it up on the bimini for the season.... but it isn't hard to put it on and off when needed.
I was also thinking of picking up the Ronix. On my boat however, access to the rear of the tower is minimal so I was thinking about running it backwards with the boards coming out from the bow. See any issues with the provided straps?

TY
Old 06-19-2020, 01:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 X-25
Good question. Straps would likely hold, however, the sleeves themselves may just act as a wind sock and might start stressing the fabric joints.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X25
The sleeves on the Mastercraft product are mesh, so while they may grab air, it would not put the same level of strain that a nylon fabric would.

—Sky
Old 06-21-2020, 12:25 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Maristar 210 '01
Danny @ Tower Biminis

Danny at Tower Biminis was the only shop/guy I found who would make a ďcustomĒ Bimini, I had previous mounts etc and wanted surf pockets. Iím sure he could make some reverse surf board pockets to fit your Bimini.

Iíve put about 25 boating days on the Bimini so far and couldnít be much happier with it, the surf boards really fit well/secure and are easy in/out. The Bimini is much stouter than my previous one and seems to wiggle less while under way than the old Bimini without boards on it.

Link to some pics:
https://andycrabtree.smugmug.com/Tower-Biminis