Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 10-12-2019, 03:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 X-star
2000 X-star Predator Engine not turning over

First, I am sorry for another thread like this. I have searched through these forums and there is some great information, but wanted to get opinions on pictures as well.

Battery is tested to be good. When I turn on the key, the check engine light does turn on with the beep like it usually does. When I try to turn it over, nothing happens. I may have seen a spark on the positive terminal, but after that nothing. Then when I turn everything off any try it again, there is not check engine light or noise. I have done this twice.

I have posted some pictures of the various connections on the boat to see if anyone thinks these could be issues points. There is one particular wire that just has one connection on the starboard side of the engine towards the bow. I am not sure what else it's supposed to be connected to. It's the one with the purolator oil filter in the pictures. The other wire is hanging down

Here is a link to high res photos as well:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17i...1CEjhx6mVYUKgn
Old 10-12-2019, 04:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP... SOLD
Yikes that's some janky looking wiring in a couple of those pictures. Those connectors can't be original in several of them. Based on the pictures I'd say you have an electrical problem and fixing the connectors correctly would be the first place I'd start. The rusted nut, the spacer under it and the connector on the alternator with the ball of black tape on the wires would be an indicator that someone's been in there doing something and by the looks of it, it wasn't done correctly. The automotive lead battery clamp doesn't look too well either. If it were mine I'd start at the engine block ground and work my way to the bus bars cleaning and repairing the electrical along the way then do the same on the positive side. Use only marine rated thermal seal terminal connectors and if you have to make a splice to it with a thermal seal crimp connector. Anywhere you see black tape that doesn't look like it came from the factory pull in apart and make sure the connection was made correctly.

Is this a saltwater boat by chance? The amount of corrosion would seem to indicate so. I also noticed the Jasper sticker which would indicate that this is not the original engine and that someone has done a "custom" retro fit which is going to make getting things right more challenging.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks for your reply. I was impressed you were able to find that sticker for the Jasper sticker. I knew the engine was a replacement, but the only thing I worried about at the time I bought it was if it was working well and it passed some hard load tests (in lieu of a compression test).

I don't think it has seen saltwater, but you never really know when you are the third owner.

I did quite a bit more reading in the forums and did more testing over the weekend. I did a continuity test on the ignition switch (all except the starter terminal, because I didn't have someone to turn it and me test it) and that seems to be working fine. I did a continuity test on the neutral switch that sides on top of the transmission. That passed. I see 12+ volts at the starter, but I haven't verified that the starter is good yet. I looked up a test online that says to make sure there isn't continuity between the terminals which I verified, but the article also said to test between one of the terminals and the body of the solenoid. None of the terminals on the solenoid provided continuity to the outside body. I did not try to jump it with a screwdriver, hammer, wrench etc. because I am unfamiliar with the process and didn't want to do something stupid.

I think I found the engine ground last night. It should be connected to the same place as the negative battery cable right? The wire looked in bad shape and I probably need to redo it.

As far as redoing the wire termination, would getting a kit like this be a good idea?

https://www.amazon.com/Ginsco-Connec...s%2C295&sr=8-3

As of right now, the boat check engine light wont even turn on anymore.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Well I tried the screwdriver method tonight and the starter didn't move at all. I think the starter is toast. What starters have people had good luck with in their boats?
Old 11-07-2019, 08:48 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
You need a volt meter in your life so you can see where your voltage is stalled. Jumping starters with screw driver is not the way to go.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:15 AM
MC Fanatic

I did quite a bit more troubleshooting and discovered it wasn't the starter. I pulled it out and hooked it up to a battery and all was well. So then I thought perhaps it was the ignition switch. I installed a new one even though I thought I had tested all the terminals to be good. This still didn't fix the issue. I cleaned the ground terminal on the engine and that didn't fix anything. I had someone turn over the key while I had the volt meter on the solenoid and it wasn't getting power to the solenoid. I think there might be an issue with the wiring to the ignition switch to the solenoid. I hate electrical problems....