Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-23-2019, 02:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Sea Ray
My Ď85 S&S minor resto

Decided to start my own thread, specific to my recently purchased 1985 S&S. Got the boat pretty cheap, so some issues are expected; Iíve dealt with several so far, but Iíll be asking questions of the experienced MC owners on this page as I go along.

First off: does this rear couch look original to you? I suspect it may be redoneóhow to tell? Not a problem if it is or isnít, except that when I went to remove it so I could access the stern, man, it was heavy! I put it in the carport to dry, as it was dripping water; couple of days later, if I changed its position, it would start dripping again (albiet a lot less). Three days now, and itís a lot lighter (I was concerned having that much weight in the stern)óis this normal?
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2019, 07:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X14V 1.56:1 MV8, 1983 Stars Powerslot
The rear bench in my 83 and my previous 86 were all Styrofoam, no wood. It weighs maybe 15#.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2019, 03:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft X-14, '09 Blue
The rear bench of my 88 was styrofoam also. Nice job on that rear seat.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:27 PM
TT Regular

Well, this one has wood, and I believe the foam in there might even be open cell, so it’s like a big sponge. Looks good, the upholstery work is great, but I’m leaving it out of the boat for now—actually, I’d like to see if there’s any kind of lightweight fold-down seating available for the stern—suggestions, anybody?

Note: I took the boat out today, first time as “mine,” and it performed very well. Started up every time (knock on wood!) and I got it to 40 mph, didn’t want to push it any harder. Had a short ski, too, and that was really fun!
Old 08-26-2019, 04:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190
I have never seen a seat from that era in person though it looks like like the correct shape. is that back board MDF? if so that is not original and that stuff is really heavy. the other question, how is all the water coming in? thru the cover?
The 87 and 88 rear seats were almost entirely "cooler" foam, with seating foam molded over it and strips of 1/4" wood glued to the foam to serve as nailing strips for the vinyl. they are incredibly light.
a couple of people on here have rebuilt there rear seats from scratch though I assume they are pretty heavy. good luck with your boat.

Last edited by jayR; 08-26-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:40 PM
TT Regular

Bottom of the seat is plywood, with a number of ĺ” or so holes in it. Stick my finger in there, feels like open cell foam, still damp after nearly a week. Hmmm. I’m assuming the seat is a replacement—upholstery looks great, but it’s heavy and, for the time being anyway, I’ll be leaving it out of the boat.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X45 496 crusader
Put it in a small room(I.e. bathroom ) with a dehumidifier, itíll pull almost all of the water out.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:42 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psgwake View Post
Put it in a small room(I.e. bathroom ) with a dehumidifier, itíll pull almost all of the water out.
Uh...no room in my place for that kinda thing. It stays out in the carport! Lots of sun & itís quite dry here.

The couch takes up room, too. I donít see a need for it, unless Iím just cruising with friends, not really something I can see myself doing much of.