Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 02-19-2021, 03:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 LT-1
My brother has a ridgeline and yes he gets flamed from the family for it. For him it works as he doesn’t tow anything and just needs a bed occasionally for Home Depot/Lowe’s runs and hauling other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2021, 04:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
not in the immediate term, but as some faster charging options become more widespread thatll eventually become less of an issue as well. theres a point of diminishing returns when it comes to carrying massive excesses of battery for these sort of multipurpose vehicles.
is it worth attempting or planning on those long tows now? no. but the technology isnt static.
Yup, not now, but 10-15 years from now. Heck, maybe 5 years if there are significant breakthroughs in solid state battery tech in the next year. I can see 20 years from now ICE having no advantage over BEVs, except maybe weight, extremely cold climates, and completely off-grid travel with limited solar.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '04 X9
it shouldnt even require solid state batteries though. i think were at the very early bend in the curve. as you said the next 5-10 years should be really interesting

finding that balance between vehicle cost (driven mostly by powertrain components and "excess" batteries), and charging speed is the main thing.
as the battery cost comes down with more EV proliferation itll make more and more sense to carry around several times more battery than you might today, at the same time charging speeds will continue to come down to keep up with "refilling" that excess capacity while over the road.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
it shouldnt even require solid state batteries though. i think were at the very early bend in the curve. as you said the next 5-10 years should be really interesting

finding that balance between vehicle cost (driven mostly by powertrain components and "excess" batteries), and charging speed is the main thing.
as the battery cost comes down with more EV proliferation itll make more and more sense to carry around several times more battery than you might today, at the same time charging speeds will continue to come down to keep up with "refilling" that excess capacity while over the road.
The thing with batteries is that they are heavy, especially liquid batteries. That weight cuts into your range, so it becomes diminishing returns as you pack on extra batteries. More importantly for towing, that cuts into your payload and tow capacities.

Solid state batteries enables several things simultaneously. The lower heat output means they can be charged much more rapidly. The lighter weight means they cut into the range less. They're also more energy dense, meaning you can have more in less space, or have more space available. They're also much more difficult to catch on fire. We'll see a rapid shift in the next 5 years if solid state batteries achieve scalable manufacturing by the end of the year.

If solid state battery tech takes a long time to come out, LFP battery tech should get us to the point of being able to charge 300 miles in 10 minutes in the next 10-15 years. LFP battery tech is relatively immature compared to NCM, due to the fact that Tesla and other battery manufacturers focused heavily on NCM because of the higher energy density. Despite the lower energy density, LFP has some key advantages such as higher theoretical charge rates and cycles before degradation.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 NXT22 Prior 2002 Maristar 230 VRS
Annual wash and wax. Top to bottom detail. Can't say I've hated this truck. 3/4 didn't work for travel. I love the bench on the cheap models.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2021, 11:23 PM
MC Addict

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
New work truck.
It’ll tow some ____!
Trail boss is what all Chebbies should look like.
Not a pavement pounder.
Attached Images

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 02-23-2021, 11:56 PM
TT Newbie

Name:  IMG_0428.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  30.7 KB
Old faithful. Compound turbo.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:19 AM
MC Addict

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
^ Beautiful truck!
Twins ,eh?
Details please.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 02-24-2021, 12:31 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
^ Beautiful truck!
Twins ,eh?
Details please.

Nothing too special. I have a 380th momentum I pull with it.
Kept the stock turbo to maintain the exhaust brake and put an s480 over it with arp 625 studs.
Rest is completely stock. 60hp tow tune from ppei.
I have to check the dyno sheet again but it’s 495-500hp/1300ish ftlb at the wheels if I remember

Old 02-24-2021, 12:42 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2019 XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mo View Post
Nothing too special. I have a 380th momentum I pull with it.
Kept the stock turbo to maintain the exhaust brake and put an s480 over it with arp 625 studs.
Rest is completely stock. 60hp tow tune from ppei.
I have to check the dyno sheet again but it’s 495-500hp/1300ish ftlb at the wheels if I remember

Oooooooooweeeeee a 480 is spicy. G56 or your trans living on a prayer?

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2021
https://www.lonestarmasterbash.com/

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon