Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 02-21-2021, 10:25 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2019 XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
So I finally got all my amp powered up and dialed in this weekend. I have to say, I am not a fan of the sound from the Klipsch system. A three band EQ is a joke and I just cannot get it to sound right. It's loud, but just does not sound good. Anyone else who has upgraded amps feel this way?

I have a TWK88 that I am going to add after the Klipsch DSP to see if that helps. Seem silly to run two DSPs, but I won't be happy with it as is. If that does not help, am going to just go with the Fusion HU.
I am bypassing the klipsch system all together. I think it sounds like dog poop to be completely transparent. When I had the same equipment on the fusion equipped X30, the system was worlds better.

I am installing a fusion Apollo head unit in its place.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2021
https://www.lonestarmasterbash.com/

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon
Old 02-22-2021, 12:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
I am bypassing the klipsch system all together. I think it sounds like dog poop to be completely transparent. When I had the same equipment on the fusion equipped X30, the system was worlds better.

I am installing a fusion Apollo head unit in its place.
I remember you saying that, and from what I have experienced so far, I think that is a wise choice. I had the Apollo 770 feeding the TWK88 in my X23 and it sounded fantastic.

I am going to add the TWK88 and see if I can tune around the Klipsch sound. It won't solve the volume button issue, but I would really like to keep the screen integration.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:16 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2019 XT22
Quote:
I remember you saying that, and from what I have experienced so far, I think that is a wise choice. I had the Apollo 770 feeding the TWK88 in my X23 and it sounded fantastic.

I am going to add the TWK88 and see if I can tune around the Klipsch sound. It won't solve the volume button issue, but I would really like to keep the screen integration.
Luckily I went with the 7” screen and not dual screen because I was afraid to run into this. Plus, the volume interface sucks.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2021
https://www.lonestarmasterbash.com/

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon
Old 02-22-2021, 01:26 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 XT22
Quote:

I run the twk88 between the Klipsch DSP and my amps. It “works” but I hate that I have 2 DSP’s.

I can help with Klispch Stereo modifications
www.chesnuttech.com
Old 02-22-2021, 10:50 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecyclone View Post
I run the twk88 between the Klipsch DSP and my amps. It “works” but I hate that I have 2 DSP’s.
Good to hear someone has already done it. I will keep you posted with my results. I had to order additional interconnects, so it will be a few weeks before I get it hooked up.

I really wish Klipsch would provide some software so a user could tweak the DSP as needed. I am sure most of these issues could be fixed, but it sounds like they are not interested in helping.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Good to hear someone has already done it. I will keep you posted with my results. I had to order additional interconnects, so it will be a few weeks before I get it hooked up.

I really wish Klipsch would provide some software so a user could tweak the DSP as needed. I am sure most of these issues could be fixed, but it sounds like they are not interested in helping.
It would be great to be able to modify the DSP as needed but at this point I would settle for a flat DSP output or a DSP defeat that would at least let me retain zone control. I've tried to decompile the update files, I've looked at the microcontroller and DSP chip data sheets to see if there was a hardware method to turn off the processing, but no luck so far.
DSP chip:
ON Semiconductor
https://www.onsemi.com/products/audi...tems/lc75056pe

Microcontroller:
SH7268
https://www.renesas.com/us/en/produc...crocontrollers

My other hope was that with Polk Audio releasing their version of the DSP they would allow user programming through an app or mobile device. Unfortunately ASA electronics has it locked down to marine (OEM) manufacturers only as well.
https://www.asaelectronics.com/product/um2dsp/

www.chesnuttech.com
Old 02-22-2021, 12:45 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
.....I would settle for a flat DSP output or a DSP defeat that would at least let me retain zone control. [/url]
There is the answer. If someone at ASA would build and release a tune file that backs out all DSP and sound adjustments, then you could elect to have the dealer upload that profile. It's 10min of work by someone at ASA and gives us the flexibility to build a good sounding system.

Can you reflash the DSP with a flash drive, or does it have to go to the dealer?
Old 02-22-2021, 03:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
If someone at ASA would build and release a tune file that backs out all DSP and sound adjustments, then you could elect to have the dealer upload that profile. It's 10min of work by someone at ASA and gives us the flexibility to build a good sounding system.
Just talking about it makes me excited for the possibility.

Quote:
Can you reflash the DSP with a flash drive, or does it have to go to the dealer?
You can do it with a USB drive via the USB port on the top/bottom of the DSP.

www.chesnuttech.com
Old 02-23-2021, 11:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 X-Star
Quote:
Just talking about it makes me excited for the possibility.

You can do it with a USB drive via the USB port on the top/bottom of the DSP.
Kind of along these lines - I should be getting my stuff from eecyclone any day now, but I was thinking about what the proper procedure is going to be for setting the gains on the amp once I switch over to JL amps. I am not sure what effect the DSP has on that process

ee - can you give some instruction on this? I am not a stereo guru, I don't have an O-scope, but I am familiar with the multi-meter process.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:18 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacmikes View Post
Kind of along these lines - I should be getting my stuff from eecyclone any day now, but I was thinking about what the proper procedure is going to be for setting the gains on the amp once I switch over to JL amps. I am not sure what effect the DSP has on that process

ee - can you give some instruction on this? I am not a stereo guru, I don't have an O-scope, but I am familiar with the multi-meter process.
The signal out of the DSP is hot even with EE's adapters. I started at 3/4 gain and quickly dropped it to 1/4 and worked my way up. I think most fell around the 1/2 mark when all was said and done.

Tags
2018, 5 years, all take and no give, ban hydrotunes, hydrotunes, i share my wife, kmc8pa