Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-05-2019, 01:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '05 Prostar 197 & '97 Prostar 205 (Grew up on)
Analog Speedo/PP reading

I have an interesting issue that started to bug me this weekend. Since I have owned the boat (roughly 400 hrs of use as 2nd owner) the analog speedo will "bounce" about 1mph anytime I am cruising between 18mph and 28mph. It seems to level out above and below those speeds. I never really cared as I always use the PP display and have calibrated the Speed for wakeboard mode and slalom mode. I find it interesting that my PP does not have a "hunting problem" given my issue on the analog in wakeboard mode, because I thought they use the same paddlewheel reading. The only thing I noticed when physically looking at the paddlewheel is one of the veins to the right of the paddle wheel is bent slightly (away from the paddlewheel). I assume this was from a trailer bunk a while back and I was afraid I would break it more by attempting to bend it back slightly.

Has anyone had anything similar in that their analog display bounces or hunts +/- 1 mph?

This is more so MCOCD since I rarely look at the analog, but I wonder if it is impacting my PP and I somehow don't notice (although I have a keen feeling for speed in/behind the boat).

Thanks all

Richmond, VA & Lake Gaston, NC
Old 08-06-2019, 10:59 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Interesting question - signal from the PP can be "looked at" in different ways such as an oscilloscope to see if you see the glitch.

A physical gauge though is not usually as accurate as a digital - do you see this jump at all on the display of the PP?

PP probably dampens the input enough to not respond to a small signal.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '05 Prostar 197 & '97 Prostar 205 (Grew up on)
Yes, I got thinking (and reading) about it later after I posted, and I wonder if the KDW and NN adjustment factors on PP itself may have been adjusted to "lower" the instances it reads the paddlewheel since it only fluctuates about .7 - 1mph in a fairly quick time period. This would make sense given it has done this since the old owner had it, and he had his shop look at adjusting the settings when I bought it. Therefore, this adjustment would fake out my reading of PP and make it appear like it is more accurate than it really is.

I guess if it necessarily isn't broke, don't fix it, but I keep wondering why my analog is bouncing slightly. I assume it is probably because of one of my veins to the right of the paddle wheel being slightly bent and barely impacting the paddlewheel speed as I mentioned above. Funny that would have an impact though.

Thanks for your reply.

Richmond, VA & Lake Gaston, NC
Old 08-12-2019, 10:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Is the tachometer steady? If so, I would not worry about it.

Try speedo-rooting the pickup.

Tags
analog, speed bounce, speedo