Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-07-2020, 03:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Nautique 216 Air
Ski Club SE Virginia, Hampton Roads looking for interest and advice

Hello all,

I'm looking into starting a ski club in SE Virginia in the vicinity of Hampton Roads. There used to be the Colonial Waterski Club, and Gibbs Lake, and Warburton Pond, etc.; but all of these have gone away for various reasons as a club and/or ski spot.

I've been skiing for a long time, but only recently got serious about skiing the course and would like to set one up in my area. I'm currently trying to get a permit for the upper Chickahominy River and/or the Lake Maury at the Mariner's Museum. I would prefer the fresh-water and ideal lake of the Museum, but still need to convince the Museum that this is a good idea for them.

Either way, I would be happy to link up with other enthusiasts in the area and extend the invite to those who are curious but are not (yet) hardcore skiers or otherwise don't have access to the resources (boats) to do so.

Questions for the community:
1.) Any interest in this area?
2.) Any advice about setting up a club?
3.) What about insurance or waterski association memberships etc.?
4.) Have you set one up as an LLC, or a 501c, or what??
5.) I've heard rumors about aquatic clubs at nearby colleges, anyone have contacts?

A little about me: I've water skied for years and belonged to a club in college that exposed me to awesome ski boats and people for near-free. This was my first introduction to a ski course at which I failed miserably and resigned to not being able to do it. Fast forward to years later, my wife recently bought me some ski instruction at Bumpass, VA that really unlocked my ability to ski. We now have a 2005 Nautique 216 that is an awesome family boat with a decent wake for my emerging ability (or lack thereof). I want to introduce this sport to more people in the area and establish a course somewhere for regular use.

Please let me know if you have interest and/or advice.

Tom
Old 06-10-2020, 11:47 AM
TT Newbie

Museum survey

The Mariner's Museum park is reopening on June 15th. They are looking for ideas to generate interest in their lake and park and have posted a survey. The link is below. This is the perfect opportunity for the local community to propose the option for allowing slalom water skiing on their lake. Perhaps even an annual clinic and/or tournament!! If we can come together and show interest as a community, I think the likelyhood is high that we could establish an awesome ski spot here in SE Virginia. Please let your voice be heard!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1DEf...requested=true

A lot of this survey speaks about canoes and kayaks. The Museum used to rent out canoes and paddle boats in the past, but there was not enough interest for them to break even at the time. There are a multitude of spots in Newport News alone for one to kayak, but no slalom course anywhere in all of SE Virginia that I know of.

Help me show interest please.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:25 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 07 XStar SS
I am in Norfolk and would be interested. I have an 07 XStar, If you are strictly looking at freshwater this may be a good location. The back bay behind Langley is also a good spot for skiing and boarding if you cannot get into the mariners museum.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgi100 View Post
Please let me know if you have interest and/or advice.
https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...d.php?t=104492

See post #15
Old 06-12-2020, 11:00 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
Thanks for the link. I checked that out and it seems like some great advice. The lake that I have in mind also seems to satisfy a lot of the requirements/questions that you pose!
Old 06-15-2020, 08:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 MasterCraft ProStar 205 LTR 330HP
I WOULD BE VERY THANKFUL IF YOU COULD KEEP ME POSTED I am in Newport news only fresh lakes for my prostar
Old 06-18-2020, 04:10 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut99 View Post
I WOULD BE VERY THANKFUL IF YOU COULD KEEP ME POSTED I am in Newport news only fresh lakes for my prostar
Glad to hear! I am currently looking at aligning with a local snow ski club to make a water ski branch. That would give us 501 c affiliation. Then I plan to affiliate said branch with USA Water Ski and Wake Sports. We also have another nearby Mastercraft Prostar owner with a slalom course who is looking for a place to stick it. The only open item is getting the Mariner's Museum on board. If you take the survey below, write in that you would be highly interested in a water ski course on the lake. They are currently trying to figure out how to get more enthusiasm for their park and are considering yet another place to kayak - yawn.

Once we are setup, we can have a place to shred nearby! Then maybe do annual outreach activities and/or ski clinics and/or a grass-roots fun tournaments.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1DEf...requested=true

Ski you soon!
Old 06-18-2020, 04:14 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSH View Post
I am in Norfolk and would be interested. I have an 07 XStar, If you are strictly looking at freshwater this may be a good location. The back bay behind Langley is also a good spot for skiing and boarding if you cannot get into the mariners museum.
Thanks Crush! I'll keep you posted. Please take a look at that survey if you can and write-in water skiing please!

Tags
club, ski club, ski course, virginia