Go Back   TeamTalk > News & Information > Suggestions > Team Talk

Old 06-24-2020, 12:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Replacing Impeller 1999 Maristar 210 VRS

Went to replace my water pump impeller today with the boat in the water. When I removed the pump cover water started gushing out. It appears the impeller is below the water line.

Any trick to doing this without sinking the boat? Don't really feel like taking the boat out.

1999 Maristar 210 VRS (V drive)
Old 06-25-2020, 09:30 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 99 Maristar 210
This is posted in the wrong forum......

You can try to clamp the raw water intake hose shut with a c clamp and two blocks of wood. This isn't good for the condition of the hose, but will slow the flow of to the raw water pump. If you had no choice, this might be the way to go. You could also pull the raw water intake hose off the pump and then raise it / try to clamp it. However you might get a lot of water while messing with it.

Otherwise, find a way to raise the boat enough to keep water from flooding in.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I don't think the impeller is below the water line, but I've never tried to replace mine on the lake.

So, if I were going to try, I'd grab something to place over the water intake on the bottom of the boat - a piece of sandwich wrap, or similar. Unscrew the cover on the raw water pump a bit, and when water starts coming out, jump overboard and slap the plastic wrap over the water intake (you'll need the water flow to create a suction that holds the plastic to the hull). It won't be perfect, but your bilge pump will be able to keep up while you work. Get back on the boat, finish removing the cover on the raw water pump, pull the impeller (I've never been happy with the two paint can opener approach; I just grab the impeller with a small pair of Vise-Grips and pull it out), shove in the new one, use a new gasket and bolt the cover on (carefully; it's very easy to break the brass screws). Jump overboard and see if you can recover the plastic, which will now be floating free.

This approach requires focus, but shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes.