Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 07-26-2020, 09:00 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmajors.nrf.cm View Post
Ive never serviced or diagnosed the trailer because the farthest I go with it is a few miles.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
You should really check it out - trailer is ~3 grand of the equation on one of these boats and for many it is sort of pass fail. Very few buyers are going to only need to pull your boat a few miles to get it home.

I'll put this another way - I've gone cash in hand nearly 400 miles for a boat I fully intended to bring home only to find that the trailer was poorly kept up and I did not have the luxury/time to accommodate the brakes dragging, the lights not working, tires being junk, and the guy didn't own a grease gun but when you pulled the bearing caps they had water sitting in there. He'd have had to take off the full value of the trailer and I'd have had to plan to rebuild the brakes and bearings and get tires before I could haul 400 miles on the highway.

But if you go through it and can say - trailer freshly serviced that solves lots of issues.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:01 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
You should really check it out - trailer is ~3 grand of the equation on one of these boats and for many it is sort of pass fail. Very few buyers are going to only need to pull your boat a few miles to get it home.

I'll put this another way - I've gone cash in hand nearly 400 miles for a boat I fully intended to bring home only to find that the trailer was poorly kept up and I did not have the luxury/time to accommodate the brakes dragging, the lights not working, tires being junk, and the guy didn't own a grease gun but when you pulled the bearing caps they had water sitting in there. He'd have had to take off the full value of the trailer and I'd have had to plan to rebuild the brakes and bearings and get tires before I could haul 400 miles on the highway.

But if you go through it and can say - trailer freshly serviced that solves lots of issues.
Thank you. I'll get the trailer serviced next week. I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Boat: XT22
The trailer is an issue, as you now know. The painted hull is an issue for all of us purists. But it is late July. I'd put it on Craiglist asap and see if there are any takers. For me, I wouldn't be interested in it just due to the paint job, at any price. (except to flip) But most local buyers won't know or care if it has been painted.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X25
I think it’s so funny how most people (myself included) on TT absolutely drooled online over FourForty’s recent 300 build (https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...ighlight=build) which was painted, and will post here saying paint is bad and drops the value of the boat.

Assuming it’s done right, with proper prep and good marine paint, it’ll be more durable than gelcoat, easier to maintain than gelcoat, and way easier to repair than gelcoat.

Of course, I’ve seen boats that were painted with rollers and spray cans, which IMHO is worse than a wrap.

Personally, I wouldn’t be as concerned about paint on the hull as others here are, assuming of course, that it was done well. I might even prefer a well painted hull over a gelcoat hull if all other considerations (mechanical, electrical, vinyl, price, etc) were equal.

—Sky
Old 07-27-2020, 12:01 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydyvyr View Post
Assuming itís done right, with proper prep and good marine paint, itíll be more durable than gelcoat, easier to maintain than gelcoat, and way easier to repair than gelcoat.
I'm with you on that - the only caveat is that if you are painting a boat it is a good idea to document what you have before you paint it. If you've ever bought a restored car like a Porsche you'll know that buyers want to know how good or bad it was, and if you're doing the floors people want to see what you did (is the whole floor bondo and patches or did you do a full tub) In paint you can hide shortcuts that you cannot necessarily hide in gel.

With wraps this is even more important since you know the wrap will eventually be coming off.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 PS197
I agree with the suggestions to get the trailer sorted in a hurry and then price a bit high. If the boat is ready for someone to pull away with (any distance) and drop into the water you should get some interest - from those few pix it appears to be a good finish. The market's hot because people want boats to use immediately so you should convince your buyers that's the case.

Good luck with the sale!
Old 07-29-2020, 02:48 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Ď20 X22 6.2L GDI, '15 X10 6.0L

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-31-2020, 10:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 205
Heres the paint that was used