Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 07-31-2020, 12:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X-15
Aftermarket Surf Gates

So, my wife commented today that she wants to buy a new boat because she is tired of trying to put our wake shaper (Mission Delta) on. Sadly we have been met with a 50/50 chance of whether or not it will actually stay in place COMPLETELY ruining surf time. Also itís a real PITA constantly having to switch sides on the off chance you do get a good suction as my wife and son surf opposite. We are at the point where we just accept a smaller wave and leave the shaper under the seat.

My question is, how hard is it to, and would be actually worth it to add either after market surf gates or surf tabs (not sure which is better) to my 2007 X-15? Im thinking this would be far cheaper than a new boat and would solve our issue....any thoughts?

Cheers,
Dean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2020, 08:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2016 200 Sport Nautique
I'm pretty sure Go Surf Assist is the only real "full on" option and it ain't cheap. Wake Makers has it for $4K without the $500 platform kit or installation. So if we say your 07 is worth say $40K for conversation sake and you're going to put another say $5K into it for this upgrade you basically have $45K into the boat which is cheaper than a new boat but you now also have a modified boat. While this system seems to work well I don't know that you'll ever recoup the cost in resale or if having it would hurt the resale in some way.

I've seen several 2013 Gen II X2s for sale in the high $50Ks (OK $59.99K) to mid $60Ks. For the extra money does it really make sense to put the money into the older boat or bite the bullet and buy the newer boat? After struggling with this question for different reasons I decided to let go of my aging but in very good condition 07 X2 and move to a much newer boat. To be honest getting the 2 post tower alone made everything worth it for me.

This was a difficult decision for me but one I'm glad I made. One thing I did was to make a list of the positives and negatives along with associated costs of going each direction. When I was done the boat got listed. Heck half the battle for me was getting the wife onboard which I was actually quite surprised how open to the idea she was when we discussed moving forward. Sounds like yours is already there.

Best of luck.....
Old 07-31-2020, 08:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Centurion Typhoon
i added a fully automated surfgate-style system to my boat this year for around $700 all-in. this runs off GPS and retracts and deploys at a set speed so it doesn't affect turning around to get a rider, etc. if you have some minor mechanical ability and don't mind drilling the holes in the boat to mount the gates and all that, it's completely doable in a day.

google "MB slappers" and you will find the MB forum with a bunch of guys who have done this, and all the steps detailed to give you an idea of what's involved.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X30, 6.2L
GSA is awesome and works great! Iíll say it will increase your resale value, but not by enough to recoup your investment. Youíll be into GSA at least $5k depending on what you already have for piggyback ballast. But if you are happy with your boat and would prefer to keep it then why spend more than you have to?
Old 08-01-2020, 03:13 AM
MC Addict

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Nothing like a good excuse to get a new boat!
But if youíre having issue with the mission delta on your hull, the Swell wakesurf slim wont have issues staying in place.
Have one for our X2, which has a narrower band to attach to than the X15 and it works perfectly.
It sticks with enough, I forgot it last week. Dumped ballast and about hit 20mph and it started heeling a wall of water into the boat! Did not fall off.

Just an option.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 08-01-2020, 10:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
It’s debatable if you will get your money back by adding GSA. But you will enjoy the system and it will make your boat much more desirable when it comes time to sell.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X-15
Aftermarket Surf Gates

Thanks to everyone for posting and all the great information....

Shortly after I posted, a member reached out to me and GENEROUSLY offered an alternate solution I am going to try first. Itís members like yourselves that makes this forum so great!!!

Once Iíve had time to assess this alternative I will be sure to post my thoughts and feedback provided this person is OK with it.

As much as I want to purchase a new boat, and love the fact my wife is pushing it, I am just not sure spending that kind of money right now is prudent considering everything currently going on with the economy etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gsxrgrizz; 08-01-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Gsxrgrizz - I have a 2006 X15, so we have the same hull. I like my wave better without a shaper. I have tried two different ones and although they make the wave slightly longer, the push was diminished considerably. I run the wakemaker's piggyback system with the bow bag completely full. Then I have a 900lb SumoSac in the back. I run it as full as I can, which is probably at least 700lbs. I run nothing in the rear on the non-surf side. Then as long as I have 1 person sit in the surfside rear corner, my wave is pretty dang on good.

I have actually installed the GSA system on a Moomba for a buddy of mine. I drilled about 28 holes in his boat, pretty scary. I don't think that I could do that on mine without riding in an X15 with the GSA. I didn't ride in my buddy's boat before or after the GSA, so I can't say how much it helped. He sold the boat the season after I installed the GSA.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:43 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2016 200 Sport Nautique
And I've seen this same thing on here too where someone does GSA then the next season they're off buying another boat. I haven't been behind a boat with the system nor have I seen a before and after testimonial other than on a site that sells them but something tells me that the end product after installation isn't what the owner thought it would be. I'm sure its working well for some but I personally would be apprehensive drilling all those hole and spending all that money without being totally sold on it.