Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-19-2020, 07:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 X45
2007 X45 LY6 Down on Power

My 2007 X45 with the 6.0 liter 400 hp engine was down on power yesterday when we took her out. It started fine, seemed to run fine, but when you got on the throttle it was like you were dragging a bunch of weeds. It was so slow that my buddy and I both got out to see if we had caught something on the prop or rudder (both were clear, as was the entire underside of the boat). We ran it and top speed was around 33. Boat ran fine (no weird sounds, etc.) while we tried to figure out what was going on, just majorly down on power. If I put it in neutral, it would rev up to redline very quickly and sounded perfect.

The previous time we had it out it ran perfect. Plenty of power. We store it on a trailer.

Checked the engine oil and transmission oil, both looked good. All gauges were good, plenty of oil pressure and temp was the usual 145 or so (on a lake with water temps in the high 80's). All spark plug wires were on. No service engine lights or anything of the sort came up. Boat and engine have 650 hours.

I replaced the fuel pump about a year ago (maybe 50 hours since then).

Any ideas? I went ahead and ordered new spark plug wires (Indmar 751202) and plugs (AC Delco 41-110) since I don't know when they were done last (I've had the boat about two years). Anything else I should start with besides plugs/wires?
Old 07-19-2020, 08:38 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Plugs are a good start on that engine. They have about a 200 hour max span from my experience
Old 07-20-2020, 11:34 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
Plugs are a good start on that engine. They have about a 200 hour max span from my experience
Wow, 200 hours seems really low for iridium plugs. I'm not saying you're wrong, just surprised at 200 hours. I've seen some people say they run copper plugs, but I'm not sure what the benefit would be besides saving $.

I have no idea how many hours the plugs have. The boat was sold (used) by a Mastercraft dealer in spring 2018. I don't know if they replaced the plugs before selling, but that is the latest that the plugs would have been replaced. Hopefully plugs and wires does the trick!
Old 07-20-2020, 02:25 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Both of my 6.0 x stars had the same issue about 200 hours deep on plugs.

Plugs fixed both. Not saying it’s 100% going to fix your problem, I just know they are picky
Old 08-01-2020, 03:23 PM
TT Newbie

To close this out, I replaced the plugs and wires and the boat is back to normal.

The old plugs and wires looked fine, with the exception of some slight discolorization (like a black spot) on the ceramic of one plug. Who knows why these motors need new plugs so often, but it's a cheap and easy fix.