Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-27-2019, 08:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
Whole house water filter

Who has experience with whole house water filters? I can't figure out which one to buy. I'm on a community well (4-5 houses). There is a fair amount of iron in the water - my ptex hard water line is brown after 4 years. I can't decide if I should just put a rough sediment filter in and be done with it, or put something better like a 5 micron filter with a GAC filter. A lot of those I look at seem like they are either cheap junk or will require several hundred dollars of filters per year. I'm planning on doing a small RO system for drinking water and beer brewing, so this will just be for the rest of the house.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2019, 08:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft,prostar 205v,predator
Look up discount water softeners.com I have hard water and high iron. I installed an iron filter that regenerates nightly and a water softener for the whole house. I also installed an RO for the drinking water and ice maker. I love my water now and am so spoiled with the drinking water that I can smell the chlorine from the faucet at work (Chicago Water) and won’t drink it. I don’t know how much water you use for making beer but, RO systems don’t make water very fast and it’s not advisable to store more than you will use in a day or two.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
Who has experience with whole house water filters? I can't figure out which one to buy. I'm on a community well (4-5 houses). There is a fair amount of iron in the water - my ptex hard water line is brown after 4 years. I can't decide if I should just put a rough sediment filter in and be done with it, or put something better like a 5 micron filter with a GAC filter. A lot of those I look at seem like they are either cheap junk or will require several hundred dollars of filters per year. I'm planning on doing a small RO system for drinking water and beer brewing, so this will just be for the rest of the house.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Just iron or iron bacteria too? Have done DIY but have always found better results with local watercare or waterrite or culligan guys suggesting a system

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 06-27-2019, 10:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
I have high iron and well water comes out like Tang. I did have an iron removal unit that backwashed itself, but after a few years, the pressure doesn't seem to be very good. And I know I have a ton of that backwash going into my septic tank/drain field.

Once we decided to not use the well for our house and only use for lawn, I've taken that unit off-line and now just have two "Big Blue" filter housings with 5 Micron filters Pentek for each. Lawn water looks pretty clear now and nothing is plugging up.

Don't get me started on a filter system!! We had so much stuff: iron removal, water softener, whole house RO system that pumped into 3 storage tanks. Then a re-pressurizing pump from tanks to rest of house. Then the PH was low so they wanted to re-inject chemicals to bring it back up to neutral. Well, that was the last straw for my wife!

Finally bit the bullet and got city water. A beautiful tap fee of $35K plus install! You can see why we tried so hard to get a working filter system!

I will say the Kinetico K5 RO system is very nice! It has a lot more pressure than the ones on Amazon. Very impressed - FYI.

1994 205, LT1
Old 06-28-2019, 01:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
If you are a DIY guy I recommend aquascience.net. I redid my softener about a year ago and they walked me through every part of it super good people there. I already had the water tested so i had the numbers they needed and they got me setup nicely. Then come ~december I had to put in a new well they sent me bottles to do a full water workup and are working with me on dialing my system in for the new well. I like to do work with local companies as much as possible but none would be helpful it was all "you need our 3000 water treatment setup" and that was it. The customer service and helpfulness of these guys is crazy good. Also I'm in Indiana and they are in Rhode Island if that says anything about their customer service. Anyway that's the service I got from them so it might be worth a call.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:43 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
^^^ I'd agree with the above statement. If you can get your water analyzed first, that will be your starting point. Then you know exactly what to target.

My mom's house on lake is part of a community well. After a certain number of households, you have to provide a certain standard for the health department because it's now considered a community water system (Idaho). They have to send in test samples every 6 months or year....something like that.

I think my iron removal unit was:
Powerline 1242, Macrolite Filter - $2,895

1994 205, LT1
Old 06-28-2019, 08:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2019 MasterCraft X24
We just added a whole house filter (already had softener) at our lake house as our situation was exactly like yours. We just had a local plumber do it and he charged $75. It helped sooo much! He used a clear filter housing and after two or three days it looked awful. Money well spent!