Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 01-13-2020, 11:06 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1986 MasterCraft Walk-Around
Ballast Overfill VSR 225.

I have a 1995 VSR 225. I am thinking of putting ballast in the front under the seats and maybe one in the ski locker.

My question is. What keeps ballast from overfilling and cracking the fiberglass. Do I just need to be diligent and watch to not overfill? I want to run direct lines from the pump to the bags.

Side Note anyone get a great wake with the VSR 225? I'm hoping to do some no rope wake surfing!

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2020, 11:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 1995 275 hp
200 VRS here and i get a great wave on the goofy side of the boat but not as great on the regular side. Still surfable though, may be tough for a first timer to learn on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2020, 11:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainValencia View Post
My question is. What keeps ballast from overfilling and cracking the fiberglass. Do I just need to be diligent and watch to not overfill? I want to run direct lines from the pump to the bags.
Well, you need two lines to the bags, one from the reversible pump to fill and empty, and one from the bag through the hull (above the waterline is easier) to vent the bag. A check valve in his line, which will let water and air out the vent, but not back into the bag will help you get it emptier. This way, when the bag fills the cavity it is in (surrounded by fiberglass in this case), extra water just gets pumped overboard which is a great signal to you that the bag is full. Generally the fiberglass in these boats is plenty strong to contain pretty much any size ballast bags you can buy.

Go to https://Wakemakers.com, they are great to deal with, can tell you the ideal setup for your boat and sell you exactly what you’ll need.

—Sky
Old 01-14-2020, 12:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
I have a bag under my bow seats. I haven't noticed any issues related to overfilling. If/when I 'overfill' it usually makes the seat cushions rise up. When I see that happening, I just reverse the pump and draw down the water until the cushions settle back down.

Plumbing was pretty simple- I just piggy-backed off the bag in the center locker. Detached the overflow line from the center back, attached that to the upper port on the bow bag, then ran a line from the center bag to the lower port on the bow bag. I know it means I can't fill/empty those two bags independently, but I'm not sure that matters too much. Plus, it was cheaper than wiring and plumbing a 4th pump.

G
Old 01-14-2020, 09:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft 225 VRS LT1
Here is a link to some older threads with some pretty good recommendations for wakeboarding and surfing on our boats...
https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=57325

Also this one...
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=64817

Last winter I put a fully integrated system in my boat and I love it, just makes it so much easier to use the ballast.

My set up is 3 Johnson Ultra Ballast pumps feeding 4 bags and filling and draining through all new bottom thru-hulls, vents run from top of the fat sacs out the side of the boat with in-line check valves:

Pump 1: Feeds 750lb fat sac in starboard rear locker
Pump 2: Feeds 750lb fat sac in port rear locker
Pump 3: Feeds the ski locker sac and the W711 under seat bow sac with a Y fitting

**Tip: Use a manual ball valve to isolate the locker sac once it's full so the bow sac doesn't drain down into it and push the hatch up while underway.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:50 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1986 MasterCraft Walk-Around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenjf View Post
Here is a link to some older threads with some pretty good recommendations for wakeboarding and surfing on our boats...
https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=57325

Also this one...
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=64817

Last winter I put a fully integrated system in my boat and I love it, just makes it so much easier to use the ballast.

My set up is 3 Johnson Ultra Ballast pumps feeding 4 bags and filling and draining through all new bottom thru-hulls, vents run from top of the fat sacs out the side of the boat with in-line check valves:

Pump 1: Feeds 750lb fat sac in starboard rear locker
Pump 2: Feeds 750lb fat sac in port rear locker
Pump 3: Feeds the ski locker sac and the W711 under seat bow sac with a Y fitting

**Tip: Use a manual ball valve to isolate the locker sac once it's full so the bow sac doesn't drain down into it and push the hatch up while underway.
Awesome! looks like we might have the same boat!
That being said a few more questions.
- How much weight are you running in the front of the boat? (like how full can you get that W711)
- With a full ballast on your 225, do you get swamped going over wakes? Or slowing down too fast? Have you ever had a fear of sinking?

Thanks for the responses everyone
Old 01-14-2020, 03:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft 225 VRS LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainValencia View Post
Awesome! looks like we might have the same boat!
That being said a few more questions.
- How much weight are you running in the front of the boat? (like how full can you get that W711)
- With a full ballast on your 225, do you get swamped going over wakes? Or slowing down too fast? Have you ever had a fear of sinking?

Thanks for the responses everyone
We sure do have the same boat, it's a great entry level V-drive that has tons of room!

- The W711 bow sac gets maybe 250-300lbs in it (it pushes the seats up), then the ski locker sac has probably 250-300lbs in it. I try to get 1-2 people in the bow as well (200-300lbs). If we are light on passengers I have another locker sac that I fill with a tsunami pump and I put that on the floor in the bow walkway as far forward as possible.
- The rear bags I only fill about 2/3 full (~500lbs each) for wakeboarding. I need more bow weight if I want to run anymore rear weight.
- With full weight it's definitly lower, but with some careful driving and no power turns, it's not terrible. To be honest, 3 people in the bow while un-weighted is almost worse (nothing to counter-act it in the rear).
- The only time I have taken water over the bow was idling down river to watch some fireworks after dark... 4-5 girls in the bow, and and I came upon a roller that I did not see at all... I got maybe 1" of water over the bow and 1 wet cellphone haha.

The picture below is running the following ballast setup at 21-22 mph:
Rear was 500 each = 1000 lbs
Front was 250(W711) + 300 (ski locker) + 375 (sac on bow floor) = 925 lbs
With 3 people in the boat at 200lbs each = 600 lbs
TOTAL = ~2500lbs
Attached Images