Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-05-2021, 03:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt37803 View Post
Love your teak
I thought the idea of using teak is that you don't have to do anything with it. That's why it's used for outdoor furniture. It's pretty awesome stuff.
Attached Images

Last edited by RxMC; 04-05-2021 at 03:40 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 PS197
I've used the mineral spirits/linseed oil process, but last year was short on prep and maintenance time. I still haven't settled an option to keep the sun off it (under canopy but back of boat faces SW so platform still gets exposure) The good news is that the rest of the boat looks great

Teak gurus, how would you start with this condition? Sand with the orbital? What do you recommend before I start the oil ? Looking forward to season start in a few weeks around here!
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
Start sanding. Harold’ s pissed!
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2019 XT23 6.2
Blast off what you can with a power washer then 80 grit for most of the work and finish with 120. Got the before pic, now just need the after.
Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 MasterCraft ProStar 209, 330 HP Indmar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3event View Post
I've used the mineral spirits/linseed oil process, but last year was short on prep and maintenance time. I still haven't settled an option to keep the sun off it (under canopy but back of boat faces SW so platform still gets exposure) The good news is that the rest of the boat looks great

Teak gurus, how would you start with this condition? Sand with the orbital? What do you recommend before I start the oil ? Looking forward to season start in a few weeks around here!
I would also recommend cleaning and brightening between sands to really get it top notch. That's what I did with my swimboard and it turned out excellent!
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 PS197
Alrighty....on to 80 and 120. Got some work to do. I'll check about some cleaner and brightener - I believe the local West Marine can help out there.

My typical challenge when I get to the oil is having enough warm-ish and sunny days before it's time to splash the boat. Will cross that bridge when I get there.
Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3event View Post
.... how would you start with this condition?
Pressure wash to clean the mold spore and mildew out of the shallow wood grain.

Maybe I have been lucky...I have never sanded a board, but I am not there to see yours in person to maybe change my thought. If it needs it, sand it to get beyond the damaged wood. Teak is tough as nails but will sand out with an orbital sander. Grit is your call. I'd look at 600-800 as a baseline and see what that does. Did I mention pressure wash (car wash pressure)?

Then mineral spirits and linseed oil combination, but I will say this from experience; read one of several tutorials here about this process. Too much stay time will cause a sticky mess. Just follow the instructions.

Attached Images

2 Peter 1:3–8
Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 MasterCraft ProStar 209, 330 HP Indmar
I see a lot of people that are a fan of the linseed oil combo but I went with the teak-brite cleaner, brightener and sealer and I'm very happy with the end result. Some people said it would be very slippery but after being out on the water last weekend I can personally attest that it is not slippery on mine. Go with your preference.
Attached Images