Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-29-2020, 05:13 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Prostar 190
Question re starter for 2001 PS190

Hi all. I recently ordered a new starter from skidim for my 2001 PS190. Got it bolted on and when I went to look for the picture I took of the wiring before I took the old starter off to reconnect the wires, and I seem to have lost it off my phone when I upgraded my phone in between. 🙄🙄 So I’m hoping someone can confirm where I Should reconnect the 3 wires in question.
1) the big red wire going to the battery would seem to go on the thicker post at the top of the starter (9 o’clock in the first photo, which is sideways - sorry).
2) from what I can tell from the manual I have, the yellow/red wire should go to the small post at 12 o’clock in tge picture, but at 3 o’clock in reality)
3) The medium sized red wire in the foreground of pic 2, Based on the size of the eye, it should also go on the large Post at 9 o’clock In the photo too - ie the same large post as the positive battery cable.

That leaves nothing in the small post at 6 o’clock in The photo. Have I got that right? I’d hate to wire this wrong and fry it before I get to
Use it. 😂

Thanks everyone.

Richard
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2020, 07:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
You are correct. The small "R" post is sometimes used to bypass a ballast resistor during starting on ignitions that have ballast resistors.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:06 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Prostar 190
Thanks for the confirmation. Will setup this way. Part of the issue was the new starter didn’t have the “s” or “I” markings stamped into it that the manual said should be there - or any other markings.

I appreciate the help. Cheers.

R