Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-09-2019, 04:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '96 205 TBI
Play in Steering

Over the holiday the steering cable snapped on my 96 PS205, it has a teleflex rotary style steering box rather than rack and pinion.

I hadn't noticed before, but now the new cable is in there is some play in the steering at the wheel end, there is somewhere between 3/8 and 1/2 inch of rotation on the steering wheel before it starts moving the cable / rudder assembly.

Is this normal or will I have to rebuild / replace the steering box?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2019, 06:48 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2016 200 Sport Nautique
Short answer is yes.

Longer answer is... About the time you need a steering cable the rest of the system is typically shot as well. I can't speak to the rotary but on the rack systems I've found the to be the case. When I do a steering cable I quote the whole system that includes the tilt and the pinion assembly. You're already there and have everything apart so doing the tilt and pinion add maybe an hour to the installation. The last two I've done for friends have both turned out incredibility well with the boat handling like new. It's really quite a before and after experience.

The trouble with doing just one ends up being your experience. You complete the project and are disappointed with the results. Then you either live with a less than ideal steering system or pull it back apart and do it right.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks, I unfortunately thought as much...

another thing to add to the winter project list
Old 09-09-2019, 04:24 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislandy View Post
Over the holiday the steering cable snapped on my 96 PS205, it has a teleflex rotary style steering box rather than rack and pinion.
That's what it should have, I've not seen rack and pinion in a ski boat before just Rotary Helm.

Check a few things before you replace it - 1 if you pull the tube that covers the greasy end of the cable at the help, does the wheel have slop before that moves or does it move immediately?

2- is there any motion between the "quick connect adapter" and the cable body itself?

3 - Where the cable attaches to the rudder there is the tube end that goes into a clamp that has sort of a swivel - does that seem to have a lot of motion/play?
Old 09-10-2019, 05:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

It's definitely play within the rotary steering box, you can feel the teeth engage with the cable (and I've had the rest of it apart, cleaned, regreased and checked for play)

I'm not sure if MC had rack and pinion but Malibu and a lot of others do / did, but it always helps to clarify to those that may have only seen rack and pinion or hydraulic.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:41 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Interesting that some would have a rack - part of the concept of a rotary helm atleast when in good condition is that you have engagement between the cable and the drive gear essentially 300 degrees around the perimeter of the gear. When the internal planetary gear drive is in good shape this is essentially lash-less.

Rack and pinion types require the rack to switch sides on the tooth and have less gear mesh between the flat rack and the pinion than planetary gear.

Hydraulic MC uses on the saltwater series only I believe.