Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 08-18-2020, 07:46 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X55, 2010, 8.1L Indmar EFI
Tie down and surf tabs

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a picture of how they handle their transom tie down needs when their boat is equipped with surf tabs. I just got this X55 and the existing trailer tie point doesn't have a viable path to the under-platform transom hooks. If its the not the surf tab in the way its the swim platform bracket. I'm thinking to do this best I need to install another set of stainless tie down u-bolts on the other side of the swim platform brackets.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2020, 07:58 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnb0y View Post
.... I'm thinking to do this best I need to install another set of stainless tie down u-bolts on the other side of the swim platform brackets.
Gets my vote. Certainly an option...then add a set of Boat Buckles. Done deal.

2 Peter 1:38
Old 08-18-2020, 11:02 PM
TT Newbie

Yea, I was thinking Boat Buckles too. Maybe I can live with slipping the webbing between the transom and leading edge of the tab. There is a gap there. I could then bolt the Boat Buckles to the frame member that is transitioning down to the bottom of the prop guard. At least see how that works before I go cave diving in the engine compartment.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:58 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Gets my vote. Certainly an option...then add a set of Boat Buckles. Done deal.

Agree. I think the BB recommendations are maximum of 22.5 degrees for angle (don't quote me on that) but I also think you have room to mount the unit at less angle and get the webbing past the tab as you speak. Never fun to go head first into an engine compartment.

If I recall correctly the bolts that come with the unit are a little too short to go through both walls of the tube steel. I considered going through one wall then reaching inside with a wrench but quickly decided to get a longer bolt at the local hardware and go through both walls. An easy install.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2020 XT22 & '91 PS190
Since you just got the boat and did not mention it nor did anyone else, those surf tabs have been modified which is why the U bolts on the hull no longer match up with the trailer eyelets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2020, 10:35 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCraft Ranger View Post
Since you just got the boat and did not mention it nor did anyone else, those surf tabs .....
Surfing is not in my boating vocabulary....

Good catch.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:23 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Since you just got the boat and did not mention it nor did anyone else, those surf tabs have been modified which is why the U bolts on the hull no longer match up with the trailer eyelets.

I was wondering about that. I looked up pictures of the Gen 1 surf system and the tabs all look smaller than the plates that are bolted to these tabs. Like WaterLogged mentioned, surfing isn't my thing so this is isn't a mission critical system for me at the moment.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:45 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2020 XT22 & '91 PS190
Tie down and surf tabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnb0y View Post
I was wondering about that. I looked up pictures of the Gen 1 surf system and the tabs all look smaller than the plates that are bolted to these tabs. Like WaterLogged mentioned, surfing isn't my thing so this is isn't a mission critical system for me at the moment.

The original Gen 1 tabs are the smaller plates that are actually attached to the Lenco pistons. See if those larger plates are welded or bolted on. If surfing is not why you bought the boat, I would consider removing them. That will definitely solve your tie down dilemma.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:57 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
The original Gen 1 tabs are the smaller plates that are actually attached to the Lenco pistons. See if those larger plates are welded or bolted on. If surfing is not why you bought the boat, I would consider removing them. That will definitely solve your tie down dilemma.

Ok, everything is falling into place here. When I test drove the boat I noticed some excessive splashing come from the tabs. I looked it over closely on the trailer and noticed that the bottom of the tabs (the added plates) sit below the hull by almost exactly their own width. I decided that was what was causing the splashing and I would be looking into that. Those plates are bolted on and I was already thinking about taking them off to clear up the splashing issue. I did experiment with the tabs on the test drive but not with the ballast fully loaded so I don't know if those plates really worked or not. It does look like if the larger plates are removed the tie down straps will just fit past the original tabs.

This brings up more questions about those tabs but that will shift the topic of this discussion away from the tie downs. I'll do a search for some Gen 1 surf system topics and see what I can learn there. I knew the surf system on this boat was going to require my attention before I bought it so no surprises so far.

Thanks for the input everyone, this has been enlightening.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:19 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X55, 7.4L
I have a 2013 X55 with the GEN1 system and surf tabs. Send me a note if you have any questions about them. Not sure why the previous owner add a larger flat plate and not sure that will provide any benefit.