Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 09-15-2020, 09:33 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoman View Post
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that my problem was giving it too much rear foot. Couldn't be happier! Don't have any video equipment at the present time, but will share when I do.
That is a very common issue - and the reason for the door frame drill - figuring out how to load the front foot coming out of the water is why so m any people advocate the single foot in start (I don't because unless your learn that very young I find it overly taxing)
Old 09-15-2020, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
The biggest help that rope gives is keeping your ski in the right position. It keeps the ski from flopping left right.

Congrats on your success!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2020, 09:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2020 XT22 & '91 PS190
Quote:
I did it! Using the deep v starter rope...didn't get up right away with it. Tried 5 or 6 times with all kinds of results, none resulting in getting up. The V on the deep V seems so deep I don't see how it helps. Finally decided to drop a ski and do it that way. Skied around 8 minutes until my legs got tired. Then on return trip to retrieve the dropped ski, decided to give it one more try. Voila! Got up on the first try and skied the return 8 minutes.

Bill
That is great news, Bill. The purpose of the V handle is to create a sling for the tip of the ski that helps keep it straight as you come out of the water.

Did the trainer handle help the last time you got up? I couldn’t tell from your story.

Just to be clear, the ski goes inside the triangle and NOT up close to the handle. I had someone do that by accident. Bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2020, 12:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Four Winns RX 5.7L 1996(sold), Nautique 200 OB 2011(sold), Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L, Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L, Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L
Quote:
The V on the deep V seems so deep I don't see how it helps.

Bill
The purpose of the deep V handle isn't to directly hold your ski straight. It's so that you don't have the single rope with a traditional handle pushing the ski off to the side.

Congrats on your progress. I teach a lot of people of all ages to get up on slalom, and very much recommend using the deep V handle. The one other suggestion I'll throw in that helps some people and doesn't help others, is the 2-step start. I'd suggest giving it a try and you'll know pretty quickly if it helps you.

Step 1: tell the driver "in gear" - don't fight the ski too much and you don't need to keep it perfectly straight. You just want to be moving in the water for a few seconds

Step 2: tell the driver "go"

This has a few benefits. First it makes the "step 2 - go" process more predictable for both the driver and the skier. Since the boat is already in gear and moving, it's a much more consistent process for the driver to give the boat throttle when the skier say "go".

Second, by starting with some initial motion through the water, it takes a lot of physical stress off the skier. It gives the skier a little head start on momentum, it lets them start to take the pre-load their muscles in a gradual fashion, and it gives skier the opportunity to shift their weight a little further up on the ski right before the boat pulls.

For some people, being pulled through the water causes the ski to go way off center and they just can't manage the 2-step pull up. But you don't need to keep it perfectly straight and don't wait too long to say go. You should give this approach a couple of attempts before deciding it's not for you. But you'll also know in 2 or 3 attempts if it's works for you or not.

This is also a very good approach for those that struggle with back issues that is aggravated by Slalom skiing.
Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current
Old 09-15-2020, 12:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhit View Post
The purpose of the deep V handle isn't to directly hold your ski straight. It's so that you don't have the single rope with a traditional handle pushing the ski off to the side.

Congrats on your progress. I teach a lot of people of all ages to get up on slalom, and very much recommend using the deep V handle. The one other suggestion I'll throw in that helps some people and doesn't help others, is the 2-step start. I'd suggest giving it a try and you'll know pretty quickly if it helps you.

Step 1: tell the driver "in gear" - don't fight the ski too much and you don't need to keep it perfectly straight. You just want to be moving in the water for a few seconds

This has a few benefits. First it makes the "step 2 - go" process more predictable for both the driver and the skier. Since the boat is already in gear and moving, it's a much more consistent process for the driver to give the boat throttle when the skier say "go".

Second, by starting with some initial motion through the water, it takes a lot of physical stress off the skier. It gives the skier a little head start on momentum, it lets them start to take the pre-load their muscles in a gradual fashion, and it gives skier the opportunity to shift their weight a little further up on the ski right before the boat pulls.

For some people, being pulled through the water causes the ski to go way off center and they just can't manage the 2-step pull up. But you don't need to keep it perfectly straight and don't wait too long to say go. You should give this approach a couple of attempts before deciding it's not for you. But you'll also know in 2 or 3 attempts if it's works for you or not.

This is also a very good approach for those that struggle with back issues that is aggravated by Slalom skiing.

Excellent description. We use the two step method quite a bit. Sometimes I don’t even wait for the skier to say Hit It and I’ll just go if they look set. I find the mere act of yelling “Hit It” creates a ton of anxiety in a beginner and they panic. Next thing you know, they’re sideways with one hand off the handle trying to regain their balance.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:28 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhit View Post

Oftentimes Go and NO sound the same. I use 'hit it', 'yep', or 'lets rock and roll...'

As the driver, i say "in gear..." rope goes tight, and I say "here we go"
Old 09-15-2020, 03:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
Oftentimes Go and NO sound the same. I use 'hit it', 'yep', or 'lets rock and roll...'

As the driver, i say "in gear..." rope goes tight, and I say "here we go"

Good catch. I do try and avoid “Go” for the reason you stated. And I did get a good laugh as I also say “in gear” and “here we go”. Every single time.

Old 09-15-2020, 03:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
As soon as its tight hit it...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 09-15-2020, 03:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that my problem was giving it too much rear foot. Couldn't be happier! Don't have any video equipment at the present time, but will share when I do.

Thanks everybody!

Bill[/quote]

Leaning back/back foot heavy you fight the boat. Let the boat do the work...it should pull you up. If your rear heal stays in your butt crack til you are out of the water, you should be putting your weight in the correct place.

Awesome!!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 09-16-2020, 04:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCraft Ranger View Post
Good catch. I do try and avoid “Go” for the reason you stated. And I did get a good laugh as I also say “in gear” and “here we go”. Every single time.
lol... ive been known to say 'i'm ready when you are", 'you lead i'll follow' and 'let it happen captain...

On the last pass, I might say "last one, unless i run it..."