Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 09-06-2019, 11:50 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190 351W
Who's actually done new gelcoat for restore?

I've searched and searched but most of what I've found is just a "yes, it's possible" or "I know a guy who did".

I have a 85 with heavy heavy oxidation. By the time I sand down to the decent color, it appears I can see through the red stripe to the glass and resin behind it. It's still smooth, but has a marbled appearance. The grey doesn't seem to show it.

I'd like to restore this boat by bringing the hull back to life, new carpet and interior, new wiring, etc. If I sand the whole thing and the red looks awful, I could do a vinyl red stripe (cheap and easy) or gel the whole boat (probably not cheap or easy).

Has anyone done this? Did you pay to have it done, or do it yourself? Cost, both ways?

If there's a good thread on this, please point me in the right direction. I cant find it!

Mike
Old 09-06-2019, 12:58 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
For a gel refurbishment I know a couple of people in TN that I would recommend. They are pros. It is not cheap but not ultra-expensive. They would have to re-spray the boat and finish it out. Not out of the question at all. Painting is a less expensive option but I am not a fan of that in any way.

I am an amateur sand-and-buff at best. The others I spoke of; I have seen their work on the end product. They both do good work.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
For a gel refurbishment I know a couple of people in TN that I would recommend. They are pros. It is not cheap but not ultra-expensive. They would have to re-spray the boat and finish it out. Not out of the question at all. Painting is a less expensive option but I am not a fan of that in any way.

I am an amateur sand-and-buff at best. The others I spoke of; I have seen their work on the end product. They both do good work.

I thought of your guy in TN when I read OP, but didn't chime in as I didn't have first hand knowledge. I've seen pics of his work, and it looks outstanding.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:34 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post

Any idea of cost ballpark? Are we talking 2K? 10k?
Old 09-06-2019, 03:58 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagner01 View Post
Any idea of cost ballpark? Are we talking 2K? 10k?
I was at Bennett's about three years ago when he had a bare hull turned upside down in his driveway. I asked him what he was doing.... He was respraying a hull with new gel for someone that brought the boat to him from out of state. The owner wanted an entire different color scheme. We talked a little more and best I recall he mentioned $5k and stated that the gel is one of the costs but time in prep and finish after the spray is the biggest factor of cost. The gel does not go on and then stand back and see it shine. Takes a lot of finish time after the spray according to these guys I talk to. I use a few different folks to make structural repairs or look-good requests from others when working on a rebuild. Most of the work I do is cosmetic or surface changes to get a better look. That part is easy enough.

I'd guess $5-6k based on what I have seen and talked to others.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:25 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1990 Maristar 210
I have re-sprayed my boat with gel coat this year. I did a pretty thorough write up of it in my thread; titled New Member, New Project Maristar 210.

It’s a big undertaking. I had zero prior experience with gel coat prior to this. It’s not very expensive, considering how much it transforms the boat, but the post spray ‘finish’ work is very time consuming. I’m still working on mine, hence the delay in updates on my thread. I literally spent 3 hours wet sanding the keel of mine this morning. It’s coming along nicely though and that’s what keeps me going on it although I’m glad work and life makes me take breaks on it from time to time.

I bought spectrum color match gel coat and that added a fair amount to my costs. Hindsight, I shoulda just used ‘white’ instead of mastercrafts ‘glacier white.’ Woulda have saved me hundreds but oh well. Lesson learned.

Feel free to post questions here for all to see or pm me for more details, I’d be happy to share what I’ve learned.

Edited to add link: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...t=99026&page=5
Old 09-14-2019, 10:13 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacNBlak View Post
I have re-sprayed my boat with gel coat this year. I did a pretty thorough write up of it in my thread; titled New Member, New Project Maristar 210.

Itís a big undertaking. I had zero prior experience with gel coat prior to this. Itís not very expensive, considering how much it transforms the boat, but the post spray Ďfinishí work is very time consuming. Iím still working on mine, hence the delay in updates on my thread. I literally spent 3 hours wet sanding the keel of mine this morning. Itís coming along nicely though and thatís what keeps me going on it although Iím glad work and life makes me take breaks on it from time to time.

I bought spectrum color match gel coat and that added a fair amount to my costs. Hindsight, I shoulda just used Ďwhiteí instead of mastercrafts Ďglacier white.í Woulda have saved me hundreds but oh well. Lesson learned.

Feel free to post questions here for all to see or pm me for more details, Iíd be happy to share what Iíve learned.

Edited to add link: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...t=99026&page=5
Pretty much the same as all I have learned from others as you stated. Thanks for the information.